Chapter 49

Evan was still nuzzled into Craig's chest when the group arrived at the car, Smitty sitting in the front while Craig stayed with Evan in the backseat. The hybrid was fast asleep, his face buried into Craig's shirt. Occasionally, he let out a whimper.

The car ride was completely silent, not even the radio was played as Tyler drove them home. Evan was asleep the whole time, so nothing happened between him and Jonathan, who was sat right next to Craig for some odd reason.

Unexpectedly, Tyler stopped the car, pulling to the side of the road, Craig's head shot up, looking through the windshield as more dread came over him. His grip on his brother tightened. "No." Is all he said.

In front of them stood an army, divided into two halves. Demons and Angels.

"Please, no." It became clear to Craig that he was the only one that could figure out the difference between the supernatural and humans, making his friends look at him in confusion. "Tyler, turn the car around. Now." Tyler didn't need to be told twice as he made an immediate U-turn, the quick turn of the car waking up Evan.

"Mm...what's going on?" He asked Craig, who was the only one who was able to hear him clearly. "Craig? What's happening?" Evan feels so safe in Craig's arms, reminding him of what happened so long ago, when his parents had died and Craig was the only person who was there for him. But he couldn't ignore how tense his brother's shoulders were, almost as if they were bracing for impact.

"Nothing, Evan, go back to sleep." Craig didn't want to treat Evan like a child, he knew damn well that he wasn't, but he couldn't tell him. He couldn't. Not after everything he had been through in the past twenty-four hours. Going from happy, to scared, to sad, to angry, and back to sad. Craig just wanted him to feel safe for a little bit longer, he didn't want him to know that there was more waiting for him, he wanted him to be okay. He wanted him to be happy.

Smitty looked back at the brothers from the rear view mirror, watching Craig's expression change whenever he looked at Evan, almost as if he was sympathetic towards him. Smitty knew that look, it was the way he had looked at Scott when he had opened the door for Scott after his parents kicked him out. A look between brothers, between best friends, and Smitty knew that Evan must have gone through a lot more than what had happened the past day. He watched the way Evan listened to Craig, little to no hesitation as he curled back into his previous position, trying to sleep away his pain.

Whatever hit them came out of nowhere, knocking the car over, causing it to roll a few times before landing on the driver's side and staying there. There was a lot of screaming and yelling as the car rolled and rolled until finally it all went quiet, only the sounds of heavy breathing were left.

Craig opened his eyes, which he hadn't realized that he had closed. All he saw was black, and he got extremely scared, before slowly it was taken away, and Craig realized that it was just Evan's wings that had kept them from getting hurt.

"Tyler? Smitty? Are you guys good?" Evan felt guilty that he couldn't protect the two in the front seat with his wings. After getting confirmation that they were both okay, Evan nodded almost as if t reassure himself. "Okay," Craig realized that Evan was awkwardly pressed up against the car door since he didn't have a seatbelt on. "We have to get out of the car, so everyone try to move to the right side so that the weight is all focused on that one side and in theory the car should fall back onto all four tires." Evan thought about it for a few seconds. "Brace for impact." He said as everyone began to do as he instructed, Craig grabbed onto Evan and pulled him along with him, Evan just let him, still hurting even though the impact had made his head feel fuzzy.

The plan worked like how Evan had predicted. The car dropped onto all four tires due to the uneven weight distribution, allowing the group to get out of the car. Evan climbed out last, falling on all fours as his head continued to feel fuzzy.

--

"I'll let you leave," the gatekeeper said as she caught the hybrid at the gates of Heaven "but only because I know that no matter where you go, Heaven will find you. Throughout the entire history of the realms, Angels have always gotten what they wanted. You, Evan, are certainly no exception." The gatekeeper pauses after her graceful threat, almost as if there's more she wants to tell the hybrid. Her mouth opens again.

"Stay away from the ones you care about most when you return, because no one is safe when it comes to getting what the Angels want. They will destroy everything you love and then promise you to return it." The gate keeper's eyes looked cloudy and distant. "You seem strong, Evan, but the Angels will break you, so I beg of you, when you surrender to the Angels, do not expect anything back." Evan looks at the gatekeeper with determination in his dark eyes.

"I will not surrender to the Angels, they'll have to kill me again if they really want me." Hatred shone in Evan's eyes as he took another step to the gates of Heaven. The gatekeeper let out a sad laugh.

"You have great strength and determination, never lose that, Evan, no matter what happens, no matter what they do, never lose that." She looked at the hybrid once again, her gaze softening as if she had seen something she hadn't seen before. "I don't know exactly what they will do to you, Evan, but I believe you have the strength to pull through it. Now leave, and remember all that I've told you. It may seem a bit distant and fuzzy when you first return, but when the moment is right, you'll remember this. Now, go, Earth needs you now."

--

"You know," the Angel begins, "it's not the first time I've seen a creature like you, Evan. A hybrid of two worlds, the closest to human the supernatural can ever get. A great privilege when in the right hands. Luckily, you are, because you're in Heaven. Now-"

"Seems more like Hell to me, and I've been there, it's not that bad, although, it's a bit too pure for your kind." Evan snarled, cutting her off. She glared at him, and he held her gaze, daring her to do something about his attitude. "Sorry, but you can't expect me to like a realm where I'm a prisoner."

"You're not a prisoner, Evan, we are just telling you the rules of your rightful home, Heaven. The place a powerful being as yourself truly belongs, you have quite a high place here, Evan." Her eyes darken. "We don't want you to misrepresent us."

Evan glared at her. "Bite me, bitch."

"Don't use that kind of language-"

"Then stop being such a dick."

--

His parents always had girls over, always invited him to the couch to sit and talk with them. He clearly wasn't interested, and all they told him was to not be rude.

They wanted him to fall in love with one of them, but he couldn't. His heart was left on Earth, shattered and buried with the rest of him.

"Evan, just pick a girl and we'll leave you alone, just one. A powerful young man like you needs a beautiful girl to help make Heaven look good, please just-"

"If Heaven needs a being who is mostly demon to represent them, then clearly this place isn't as great as you thought."

--

Evan woke up with a gasp, cold concrete underneath him. They were back the warehouse, Craig was right next to him.

"Evan! Are you okay?" He asked immediately, looking the hybrid up and down as he breathed heavily, his eyes staring ahead blankly as he thought about his dreams. "The others are upstairs, we brought you down here because the car wasn't safe-"

"Get the others down here." He said, locking eyes with Craig. "They're safer down here. Besides, I know what Heaven wants. It's not for some stupid war, Craig, it's for ultimate domination. Remember the traitor I told you about? It's another hybrid, mostly Angel in the heart of Hell. They want me to balance things out. They've...been waiting for me."

"Evan, that doesn't make sense, Hell is ruled by demons-"

"No," Evan shook his head, "it's not, it never has been, it's always been an Angel. Lucifer is an angel, and now there's a hybrid who works for them, someone who will take over Hell. I'm supposed to rule Heaven, they want me to balance things out. That's why they're trying so hard, because they will never have another being like me." Evan looked at the floor. "The gatekeeper told me that I had great strength, she told me I could win." His eyes land on the metal pipe from earlier. He looks back to Craig.

"I will win."