Chapter 44

I'm so glad that you guys have stuck with this story even though I didn't update for quite a while!!! Hope you're enjoying it!!

----------

"I'll see you later, Craig! Thanks for the ride!" Evan waves goodbye to his brother as he enters his apartment building, remembering the night he had with his boyfriend. The happy memories bring a smile to his face.

Their lips connected halfway through the first movie, and Evan realized what a great decision he had made, choosing Scott over Jonathan. Falling for Scott was one of the best things he had ever done, it had brought him so much joy, to be so in love with a person.

He opens the door to his apartment quickly, looking forward to falling asleep in his bed, finally feeling like he could get some much deserved rest.

Something hard slammed into his head as soon as he walked through the door. All his lights were off, and before he passed out he could make out a dark figure, somewhat familiar, but he couldn't quite place it.

----

His body slammed into the sheet metal that made up the back of the truck's container. Evan jolted awake, eyes searching his surroundings in an instant, not feeling safe anymore. He hoped Scott was okay.

Evan struggled against his restraints, jumping as he heard another person waking up in the dark, which his eyes had adjusted to by now. Struggled was no use, the restraints that had been used must be supernatural-proofed, not allowing him to break them and escape.

There was coughing coming from the other person, Evan stopped moving as he tried to make out who it was. Didn't sound like Craig, he would start moving immediately trying to escape. It must be a human.

"Hello?" Evan asked, hoping to get a reply as they both sat in the dark, his eyes focused on nothing but the pitch black that surrounded him, it must be night outside the truck they were on, which was moving at quite a high speed.

"E-Evan? Is that you?" Evan recognized that voice, he knew it well, almost too well.

"Jonathan? What are you doing here?" Evan was even more confused, why just get him when they could've gotten Craig? He didn't want Craig to be captured, but Craig was a demon and Jonathan was just a human.

"T-they got me right after....." He trailed off, unable to continue as Evan heard him get choked up with his words. Fear ran through him, straight down his spine.

"What? Right after what?" Evan didn't like the feeling of dread that had built up in his chest, didn't like the suspenseful torture that Jonathan was unintentionally doing to him. Terrible thoughts ran through his head. He had just seen Craig, so he must be fine, but who was hurt? Captured? Dead?

"Evan, oh Evan, I'm so sorry." Fear gripped Evan's heart, which momentarily stopped beating. "I went to Scott's place, just to talk and apologize for how annoying and rude I've been, but...."

No, Evan thought, tears in his eyes. No, no, no, no, not Scott, anyone but him.

"We had barely started talking when a demon appeared....Evan....the demon....he...he shot him.....the demon killed Scott." Evan sensed tears on Jonathan's face just from his voice, meanwhile Evan was trying to muffle the sobs he wanted to let out. "Evan, I'm so sorry."

Evan feels Jonathan move closer to him, trying to comfort him even though his arms were bound behind his back. The hybrid leans into him, crying, unable to stop as remembered the last time he saw Scott.

Movies and popcorn and blankets and kisses, bad dreams and messed up hair.

Evan remembered the dream he had that night. Scott's bloody body had lay beneath him, crimson staining his clothes. The hybrid had dropped to his knees, unable to comprehend the sight in front of him. Evan cried harder into Jonathan's chest, letting grief overtake him, pain burned through his chest, and although he didn't really know what it meant he knew it had something to do with heartbreak, which was the emotion Evan believed he was feeling as he realized he would never see Scott again. Never hold him, kiss him, smile at him, hold his hand. It was all gone. "Why him?" Is the only thing Evan can say, and it sounds distorted and broken and unlike anything Jonathan had heard before.

It's heartbreaking for Jonathan to hear Evan sound like that.

Evan regrets it, he regrets telling Scott everything, about angels and demons and hybrids and Guardians and heaven and hell. Everything he knew about the supernatural realm he had told Scott. Now he regretted it, because he had gotten Scott into this whole mess, and it was his fault that he was dead. Evan sobbed against Jonathan, not giving a damn about the world anymore.

After a while, Evan passes out, energy completely drained from all his crying. As he closes his eyes, he realizes that the truck had stopped moving for quite a while, almost like the drivers were waiting for him to be asleep.

"It's okay, Evan, I promise."

----

Craig's cell phone rings as he sits on the couch with Tyler, who was going to leave in a few minutes to pick up their friends from the airport. Evan's birthday was soon and they wanted to throw him an early surprise party. Craig knew that Evan had forgotten his birthday, he always does, and he wanted to make it extra special this year. He had already talked with Scott a few days before and once the guys were there the planning would continue.

"Hello?" Craig says, his head on Tyler's chest as Tyler plays with Craig's hair.

"Um, h-hi, I don't know if you remember me. It's Smitty? Scott's roommate? We've met a few times before..."

"Oh yeah, I remember. What can I do for you, Smitty?"

"I have some news about Scott, and Evan isn't answering his phone so I thought you would be the best person to call."