Chapter 25

SURPRISE UPDATE!! Also, would anyone be interested in a MiniCat book I'm working on?

-------

Evan laughed, and it felt good, he hadn't laughed in a while, he forgot what it felt like. He was happy.

"I don't know why that's so funny!" He exclaimed as Scott continued to do a walrus impression with French fry tusks.

"It's because it's a classic, Evan! A classic!" The other boy shouted as he ate the fries, nearly choking since he was also laughing.

"Really? I have never once seen someone do that in my entire life." Evan was still laughing, although it was calming into a chuckle.

Scott gasped in shock, clutching his chest dramatically. "You hurt me, Ev, you really do." Once again, Evan was laughing his ass off.

"This is officially the best Christmas I've ever had." Evan stated happily, taking a sip of his drink with a smile.

Scott looked skeptical. "Really? I've just been joking around with fast food, that's hardly a Christmas."

Evan shrugged. "I know, but still, this is the first Christmas I've ever really celebrated." He said it like it was no big deal.

Scott feigned hurt all over again. "You're killing me, how have you never celebrated Christmas before?! It's freaking Christmas!"

"Jeez, calm down, it's just a holiday, I never celebrate them." As soon as he said it, Evan knew he had made a mistake.

"Not even your birthday?" Evan shook his head. "Oh my god, you haven't even lived yet! It's been decided, you're celebrating every holiday as long as I know you."

Evan laughed once more. "It's fine, really, holidays are all about family, right? I don't really have that."

"What about your brother?"

"He's pissed at me at the moment." Evan looked out the window quickly before checking his phone again. Not a single text. Pain glossed his eyes.

"Hey, don't you dare frown on me. Christmas is not the time for frowning!" Scott smiled at Evan, hoping to lighten his sour mood while also feeling guilty.

"It is if you had the Christmas I'm having..." Evan mumbled under his breath, but he quickly peeked up. "Sorry I'm such a downer."

"It's fine! You're just having a bad week, but it'll get better. Hey, want to help me find a ridiculous present for my friend? You know, the guy I sent to go get your number?"

That seemed to cheer Evan up, because he smiled almost instantly as he joined Scott in cleaning up their food-which Evan barely touched, but Scott was talking too much to notice- and walking out with him.

For once, the hybrid was actually enjoying himself.

----

Evan was still laughing to himself as Scott pulled up to Craig's house, convincing him that he needed to spend Christmas with his friends and family. Evan had given in, mostly because Scott had put up a really good argument.

"Oh, wait! I have one more thing!" Scott said as Evan opened the car door, reaching into the backseat while Evan smiled at the boy.

"Here it is!" Scott said triumphantly, turning his head back to Evan, holding something in his hand. "To make you feel better." He handed it to Evan.

It was a stuffed seal, not too large, but not exactly medium, and Evan nearly cried at the sight of it. He pulled Scott into a hug as he took the toy, surprising himself at the amount of affection he was showing.

"Thank you so much, Scott, you don't know how much this means to me." He pulled away, hugging the stuffed animal against his chest.

Without a moment's hesitation, Evan quickly kissed the boy's cheek and left with a small wave.

Scott sat in shock for a second, before a smile slowly spread across his features as he drove away.

----

Evan still hugged the toy against his chest as he opened the door, a stupid grin on his face as he looked up to see everyone in the living room, staring at him with open mouth's.

"Hey." He said happily, not bothering to shrug off the grin or hide Scott's present, he was so happy he didn't even care.

Craig nearly tripped as he ran over to Evan, throwing his arms around him and apologizing profusely.

"I thought...I thought you went back home, it was so scary, Ev. I didn't mean what I said, oh Lucifer, I'm so, so sor-"

Evan pushed Craig a bit, causing him to instantly pull away, but the hybrid was still smiling.

"Hey, its fine, okay? It's all good, I'm fine, you're all fine. It's cool, perfect, and hey, Merry Christmas, bro." Craig was almost unsettled by how calm and happy his brother was, but it was Christmas so he didn't care.

Jonathan, however, was very unsettled as he saw Evan smiling at everyone as he joined the group in the living room, of course choosing the chair farthest away from everyone. He especially did not like the fact that he was keeping that stupid seal close to him.

Naturally, he called out the hybrid. "What's up with the toy, Ev?" Craig glared at him, silently promising to physically hurt him if he ruined Evan's good mood.

Evan was caught off guard as he remembered he was holding the seal. "Oh!" He said, looking down at the toy. "It, it was a present from Scott."

Craig, although curious, silently begged that Jonathan was done with the interrogation. They were finally all at peace in the same room, he didn't want to ruin it.

Everyone else got the message Craig was silently conveying, except Jonathan, who of course wanted to know. "Who's Scott?"

"None of your fucking business." Evan snapped, clutching the toy again and trying to pull it closer to him.

Finally, Jonathan got the message, with the aid of a glare from everyone in the room.

A few minutes after his outburst, Evan was back to softly smiling to himself, his grip loosening on his present as he paid close attention to his friends, enjoying his Christmas.

"I really love you guys." He spoke quietly while everyone was being excited about their presents.