Chapter 45

Tyler pulls into a loading zone at the airport, which is meant for passengers who are getting into their rides and such. Everyone is there, except Jonathan. Tyler brushes it off, figuring that the boy had some connections in the city and would get to Craig and his' place eventually. It was a tight squeeze, but everyone and their luggage managed to fit inside of Tyler's car. They talk, joke, laugh, catch up with one another.

The air changes once they enter the house, Tyler's eyes immediately going to the kitchen, where Craig was still on the phone, looking pppworried. "I don't understand...." Tyler leads everyone upstairs, letting Craig finish his phone call.

----

"Y-you don't know anything about this?" Smitty asked, his voice shaking as he realized how messed up his situation is. He was just a kid, living with his best friend, things were supposed to be okay. Not like this.

"No, no I picked Evan up a few hours ago, Scott came out to say goodbye, he was fine. I dropped Evan off at his place, he was fine, they're supposed to be fine..."

"Craig, I'm scared." Smitty's voice gets to Craig, reminding him of when him and Evan were kids and Craig had to comfort Evan, especially when he finally opened up about his home life and such. "I want everything to be okay, Craig."

Smitty didn't know Craig, but he trusted him, because Scott trusted Evan, and Craig was related to Evan. Smitty trusted that Evan would never hurt Scott, and Craig was nice during the few times the two had met.

"I know, Smitty, it will be. Look, just come over to my place, okay? I'll send you the address, just pack a bag and come over, it's gonna be okay."

"B-but what about-"

"Just pack a bag, okay? I'll set you up at my house, just keep an eye out for my text." They end the call, and Craig lets out a sigh, his hand running through his hair as he closes his eyes.

"What is it?" Tyler asks, entering the kitchen while the others waited in the living room, quiet because the atmosphere in the air still didn't feel right. "Craig, what's wrong?"

"Evan's missing, Scott is....he's...." Craig looks away from Tyler, shaking his head at the thought. "Is everyone here?"

"Everyone but Jonathan." Tyler admits even though he knew it would make Craig worry even more.

Craig puts his head in his hands, letting out a breath as takes in the information. "Smitty, Scott's roommate is coming over." He met Tyler's eyes. "We have to tell him, Tyler. It's for his safety."

"No, absolutely not. He's not your assignment, Craig." Tyler put a hand on the table, pointing to the living room. "We are."

"It's for the best, Tyler! Evan would tell him, he told you guys."

"That was different, we were all locked up by those death things!" Tyler raises his voice.

"Don't you see Tyler? It's happening all over again! Scott didn't know, and look what happened to him! When Smitty comes over, we are telling him, whether you like it or not. Evan is missing. Jonathan is most likely missing too. And I don't know if it's demons or angels, or something else, but we are going to find them." Tears well up in Craig's eyes. "I can't lose him again, Tyler. I can't lose Evan."

"I know, Craig, I know." Tyler pulls his boyfriend into a hug. "We're gonna find him, he's gonna be okay, everyone is going to be okay. You're not gonna lose Evan, Craig. After all this, you'll still have him, you'll have everyone."

The guys wait at the doorway of the kitchen. "What happened?" David asks, looking between Craig and Tyler, his face saddened with a basic realization.

----

Evan woke up on cold concrete floor, Jonathan in a cell beside his. His head ached, pain spread throughout his whole body, most likely from the drive in the truck. Most of all, his eyes stung and his throat felt raw it hurt to breathe and swallow. For a second, Evan was confused as to why his throat hurt and why his eyes stung, he remembered being hit over the head, but nothing else other than the truck and Jonathan.

Then, the memories crashed into him, and the feelings of grief and sorrow and denial came back to him all at once.

Scott was dead. A demon shot him, no, that doesn't seem right, a monster shot him. Evan lived in hell for most of his life, he knew what it was like to be a demon, they wouldn't do something like that, no matter how cruel they were, it didn't seem possible that they would do that.

It didn't matter how it happened, Evan realized. Scott was dead, no matter how hard Evan had tried to protect him, he was dead. No chance of resurrection for him.

But, if he could be resurrected, would Evan really want him to be?

Evan closed his eyes, thinking about that question, about what coming back had really done for him.

If Evan could go back and decide whether he returns or not, he would never want to come back, he knew that for sure. After all the shit he was going through, he wished they had just let him die. Everything would be so much better if he had stayed dead.

"Evan? Evan are you awake?" Jonathan's voice appears from his left, Evan contemplates if he should just pretend to still be asleep. "Evan, this is important wake up."

He rolls over and immediately knows what Jonathan is talking about. Evan would recognize the place anywhere.

This is where he had died.