Chapter 51

Heels clicked against the black tile flooring as the angel was led to down the hallway. It was the hallway that connected Heaven and Hell, and after today, it would be destroyed.

It was exactly two hours before Estherion's twenty-fourth birthday, and he would celebrate it in the depths of Hell, at the request of the Angels. He had been training all year long for this moment, he knew how to act like a demon and he knew exactly what to do with his power.

Fool Hell into thinking that he was loyal, propose the Guardian program, and wait for further instruction. Wait for the next hybrid, which would be worth it because of how the Angels said that this hybrid would be the most powerful, it would be fueled by powerful emotions. It would be closer to human than he was.

From Estherion's experience, the Angels were clearly the bet choice, they knew how to fix the world. They have been practically running it for years, haven't they? There was no way that the next hybrid would disobey them, so he waited. He picked Guardian after Guardian and he waited for when the hybrid would reappear.

When he chose Evan, he did not know he was the hybrid, because he was told that it would be another year until the hybrid would be a Guardian, when the Angels would control his decision. He didn't know he had picked Evan too early, but somehow it all worked out.

Grief. Anger. Those are the emotions that Estherion knew made up the boy, with his guarded persona and his anxiousness in the large crowd, the way it looked like he didn't want to be there, Estherion picked him.

The rest is history.

---

Jonathan smiled at Scott as he walked towards him. "Look, Scott, about me and Evan, I know I've been a dick about it. And I'm sorry, but," he pauses as Estherion appears behind him, pressing a gun into his hand. "You have to die." Jonathan aims it at Scott, whose eyes widen with realization, he knocks a glass off the counter, it smashes.

"It's nothing personal, Scott," A loud bang rings through Scott's ears and before he knows it he is laying on the ground, blood gushing from the gun shot. Jonathan stands over him. "Don't worry, I'll take care of Evan for you." He says as he leaves with the Angel trailing behind him.

Scott hopes that Evan will be okay as his eyes flutter shut, the blood surrounding him warming his body as it grows cold.

---

Craig had thrown the angel off his brother, earning a small cry from the angel as it hit the ground with a thud. The demon only saw red as he murdered her, hitting her until she was nothing but a bloodied corpse.

He ran over to Evan, pulling his arm up and pressing two fingers to his wrist. There had to be a pulse, he couldn't lose him, not again, not like this. Not so close to his birthday, not after he had died already, not after he had suffered so much.

There had to be a pulse.

Tears fell onto Evan's clothes as Craig collapsed on top of him, thanking whatever was out there for keeping Evan alive. Behind him, the battle settled, demons standing proudly over the dead bodies of Angels. It was clear that once Evan had killed Estherion, the power that the hybrid had over them was gone, and they followed in Evan's footsteps as they fought for the true rights of demons.

Angels now had a reason to fear them.

Tyler walks over to Craig, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We have to get him to a hospital, babe, they can help him." Craig can only nod as a few of their friends rush over to help get Evan back into the car. Jonathan watches everything play out in front him, knowing that this is his fault. No matter what, everything was going to lead back to him.