Chapter 46

"So, you're a demon," Smitty begins, running a hand through his hair as he looks around at everyone to clarify. They all nodded, and Smitty still looked skeptical as he continued. "Evan's a hybrid, so he's half angel, half demon. You guys," he gestures to everyone who is sitting on the couch besides him "are human." Once again, they nod. "And there are angels and demons on your ass. Fantastic." He falls back, further into the couch. "Well, its better than knowing a human did all this."

"Smitty, we know it's a lot to take in, the same thing happened to us." Brock gestures to all the humans in the room. "Way back in high school, when this same thing happened, well, not exactly like this- but that doesn't matter. It sounds ridiculous, but it's going to be okay." Smitty nods.

"I'm gonna protect you, all of you." Craig says, determined. "No one is getting hurt on my watch."

"You're a guardian, Craig, the only way we can get hurt is if you die." Tyler knocks on the wooden coffee table. "But what do we do now?"

"We find Evan and Jonathan."

----

"Well, this certainly seems familiar." Jonathan tries to lighten the mood as Evan sits himself up, awkwardly doing so since his ankles and wrists were still bound together to keep him from using any of his powers. They had certainly learned a bit from the last time, hadn't they?

He remembered the pain he had felt as the knife had been stabbed through his stomach, blood gushing from the wound in an instant, more pain ripping through him as the knife was pulled out quickly. A hand over his mouth muffled his cry, but he heard Craig's cry come from right beside him. At this point, Evan is unaware that he is going to die.

"We have to get out of here." Evan is already fearing for the worst, multiple scenarios going through his head as he tries to figure out a way to stand. "I just have to find a way out, then we leave, we run far away from here, find the others, all that good shit." He tugs at the restraints.

"Evan, stop." Jonathan said, fearing that he would hurt himself. "You don't know what happens when you break those restraints, when you walk out that door, it's all unknown. We may be captured, but this is our safest option." He says, and at this point Evan realizes that Jonathan isn't tied up.

"Why don't you trust me? I won't let you get hurt, Jonathan. We have our differences, but I wouldn't hurt you." Evan tugs at his restraints again, noticing that Jonathan wanted to stop him.

"Evan I do trust you, but...you're not a guardian anymore, either one of us can get hurt without any special rules." Jonathan says it as if Evan didn't know, which ticks him off.

"So I can only protect you if I'm a guardian then? Bullshit." Evan tugs at his wrist restraints one more time, they snap. He turns to look at Jonathan. "I'm the supernatural being here, you listen to me, got it?" He orders, all Jonathan can do is nod.

"It still might not be-"

"Do you have any ideas? Other than the ridiculous one that involves us sitting here waiting for death to walk through that door. Take it from me, Jon, dying is not fun." Evan's dark brown eyes rest their cold gaze on Jonathan, who, even though he's scared, holds his gaze for a few seconds before turning away.

The door bursts open.

----

They had been searching and thinking for a few hours when Craig felt it. A pang in his stomach, immediately he knew what it was. It was what Guardians felt when their assignments got hurt. Wherever Jonathan was, he was hurt and Evan may or may not be with him.

The pain got sharper with every passing second, and he was soon out of breath, which worried everyone else.

"Craig?" Tyler asked, catching him as he stumbled forward. "What's wrong?"

"Every time...." He gasps with pain. "Every time a Guardian's assignment is hurt, we feel a twinge of pain in our stomach, it gets worse the more hurt they get." He's clutching his stomach as if he's been shot. "Wherever Jon is, he's getting hurt. Hopefully Evan is with him, hopefully they're both okay."

----

Demons enter the warehouse, their cautious eyes keeping an eye for any possible threats as they make their way to Evan and Jonathan's cells, unlocking them.

"Come on," one of them says, Evan doesn't recognize him, but he remembered what Jonathan told him.

Demons killed Scott.

"No, I'm not going anywhere with you." Evan pulls his arm away from the demon. Beside him, Jonathan's eyes widen as he realizes that Demons have come to rescue them.

"Dude, we're demons, not angels. We want to help you, not use you as a weapon. Chill." The demon cautiously reached out his hand, wanting Evan to take it. Evan looked at his body language and something inside of him just clicked.

"You guys, demons, you didn't kill Scott, did you?" He takes the demon's hand, Jonathan bites his tongue. Confusion spreads across the demon's features.

"Scott? Your boyfriend? No demon ever touched him. We told you, we don't want to hurt you or anyone who's close to you. Heaven and the Angels are the threat, not you." He examines the burns on Evan's wrists from the restraints, nodding and pulling out a small spray bottle of some medical thing Evan didn't quite understand.

He didn't need to understand what medical expertise the demon was using, he was trying to figure out what happened to Scott.

Jonathan had lied to him. Again.

"So, if you didn't shoot Scott......" Evan spoke aloud, the demons listened to him. "Then who did?"

Almost instantly, the demon in front of him used one of his hands to point behind Evan. Evan turned his head to see.

The demon was pointing at Jonathan.

"He did."