Chapter 18

Short one today, but I have plans for next chapter

-------------

Evan woke up with a small yawn the next morning, slightly cold since his wings hadn't appeared in the night.

Almost immediately, he noticed he was alone. Not just in his bed, or his room, but the whole house felt empty. Not like he cared, they probably all went out Christmas shopping or something, the holiday was right around the corner.

As soon as he thought that, a realization hit him as he stood up to take a shower.

This would be his first Christmas on Earth, and if the guys knew that-which they probably did- then they were probably going to make sure it was the best one yet.

Is it bad that he was almost scared?

--

Evan went downstairs after he had showered, changing into some sweatpants a muscle shirt he found amongst his stuff. He didn't even remember buying it, but he was comfortable so he didn't care

Hunger gnawed at his stomach, but for some reason the thought of eating anything made him want to throw up.

His body felt sore, but not so sore to the point he just wanted to stay in bed for a while, he really didn't know what to do with himself.

Better decide what your next step is in the master scheme, Ev. Don't want to fall behind.

Lucifer almighty, you are annoying. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you want Evan to lose his damn mind.

Who said he hasn't already? You really think we balance each other out that much? We are very conflicting personalities.

Well, yeah, but in the end we are both technically Evan, so we always fall back on his own personality.

What personality? You're a demon, I'm an angel. We are equal parts of him. There's no human here to balance things out.

Who said we need a human to-

"Will you both just shut up? I just want to relax for one damn day." Great, just great, Evan was officially the insane person who was talking to himself in an empty house. That was just fantastic.

It's not me who you need to tell that to, Ev. I'm the only reasonable one here.

Who the fuck-

I'm an angel! I was created to make peace among worlds!

What does that make me? Something created to cause pure chaos?

If the shoe fits.

Oh, there is no doubt I'm corrupting you, since when would you ever talk like that? So spiteful and sarcastic.

You piece of utter shit-fuck! I mean, dang, okay, you got me there. Which means I can only blame you for ruining my purity! Oh Lord, please forgive me for the sins I have commi-

You're hurting him!

Evan crumpled to the ground as the two forces argued for dominance in his head, a large headache beginning to form. The prayer that his angel side was trying to make didn't make things better.

Good, he needs to accept his true role as an angel.

All you care about is yourself.

Says the demon.

Look at Evan! I care about what happens to him.

Oh please, all he is a vessel for your sins, once he becomes an angel you'll be able to transfer to the next born demon.

You angels have no humanity.

I don't need humanity, because I'll get plenty of it once we are rid of you and you can be banished to the pits of Hell.

You're trying to turn him into a double agent, aren't you.

I'm not trying, I'm succeeding.

You're sick.

Actually, I'm quite healthy. Everything is going according to plan.

"Make it fucking stop, just shut up you two!" Evan held his head in pain as darkness began to curl the edge of his vision.

This is why there are so few hybrids, demon, because hardly anyone can balance the two forces perfectly. Most of them either pick a side or bite a bullet, just to make it all stop.

You're a twisted son of a bitch, what kind of Heaven do you work for?

The kind that is determined to bring peace to all humans, no matter the cost.

Evan couldn't hold on any longer, letting himself fall unconscious while the two argued in his head. His stomach still growled with hunger, and his skull pounded with pain as he let the nothingness consume him.

--

He was woken up by Craig shaking him, calling his name softly.

"Ev? What happened?"

Before he answered, Evan sat up, rubbing his eyes and letting out a yawn. He hesitated with his response.

"I-I had a headache, that's all I remember." He was lying, but at least it was partially true.

Craig bought it, helping him up and sending him upstairs, mentioning that the guys were still out. Evan nodded, and went back to his room to continue sleeping.