Chapter 39

Evan slammed his phone onto the counter. "Stop doing that." He told himself. "Stop going to Craig for all your problems." He covered his face with his hands.

Seconds ago, he had subconsciously began to dial Craig's number, wanting to ask his advice on what he should do. Obviously, he had stopped himself since he was trying to be more independent.

"Just relax." He told himself. "You can figure this out by yourself, just relax."

---

"You think I should look for someone else?" Jonathan asked as Craig let him inside.

"As in, you finally leave Evan alone? Yes, definitely." Craig led him into the kitchen, where they sat at the island bar.

"No, I mean as in someone who can make Evan jealous."

"You know that hearing your ridiculous ideas just makes me think you're a legitimate psychopath, right? Also, it's kinda weird how you're explaining all this to me about Evan, who's my brother."

"Why are you so against me?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe it's because you've cheated on him twice, even after he forgave you for the first time. You claim that you really love him, but you don't really seem to show it all that often. If you really loved him, you would want to see him happy, which he is with Scott.

"Because Scott understands that in a relationship, it's not just a relationship when you're around each other, it's a 24/7 thing. Which means when they're not spending time together, Scott isn't out there looking for someone else. Evan doesn't have to be next to him in order for their relationship to exist."

"I know that what I did was wrong, but-"

"Don't try to justify your actions, Jon. If you want someone to forget about them, or at least stop reminding you of them, then maybe you should make an attempt to apologize."

"How do I do that?"

"Please, just support Evan and Scott. Even if it kills you, they're happy, Evan is happy. Every time I see him, he's smiling, you know how rare it would be that I would get a smile from him? Trust me, it would more likely for him to willingly go to a party."

"He was happy with me-"

"But he's not with you, Jon. He's with Scott, Scott is making him happy. They're in love, let them be. Evan's been through a lot, and I'm sure Scott has too, they deserve this. They deserve some happiness."

Jonathan lowered his head a bit in shame. "So what you're saying is, I should just try to be his friend rather than his boyfriend?"

Craig nodded. "Yes, that's all. If something happens then of course you can make a move, but I want you to be his friend first. Can you do that for me? For Evan?"

Jonathan looked up the demon, a determined look in his eyes. "I can try."

---

Evan was asleep on the couch when there was a knock on the door. He immediately sat up, on total alert in case of danger, but again, it was just someone at the door.

Sighing, he abandoned the warm blanket on the couch and went to see who was there.

"Merry Christmas!" Scott said jokingly as he held out a gift bag to his boyfriend.

"What's the occasion?" Evan asked as he took the bag, letting Scott inside.

"I just wanted to get my boyfriend a present, is that so wrong?"

"No, I'm just, not used to random presents." Evan murdered shyly.

"Well, you should be." Scott said as he came up behind Evan and wrapped his arms around his waist. He gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Because you're amazing. Now open it!"

Evan laughed at how excited Scott was. "Alright, alright. Calm down." He reached into the bag, pulling out two things; one was wrapped, the other was a stuffed animal. "Well that's officially the cutest non-living thing in my apartment."

"Non-living thing?"

"Yeah because the cutest living thing here is you." Evan smiled as Scott kissed him once more before urging him to unwrap the second gift.

"Oh my god." Evan said as he revealed what the present was. "You actually-?"

Scott nodded, moving so he could stand next to him as they both looked at the framed photo. "Of course I did, I saw an angel."

It was a photo of when they first met; Scott had taken a picture of Evan sleeping from across the cafe and it appeared that he had gotten it framed.

"I love it." Evan stated, his voice full of emotions. He put it down on the table before pulling Scott in for a hug. "Thank you, you're the best. I love you so much."

"Oh Ev," Scott kissed his boyfriend's forehead. "I love you, too."

-

"Hey, Scott?" Evan was feeling very insecure all of a sudden as he leaned against Scott on the couch, a warm blanket wrapped around them.

"Yeah?" Scott turned down the volume of the TV so that he could pay attention to his partner.

"You actually love me, right?" Evan knew the question was stupid, but he needed the reassurance.

"Evan, of course I do, why would you ever think differently?"

"Really? So you won't go looking for someone else to spend your time with? You'd rather be with me?" Evan looked at Scott desperately, like a lost puppy caught out in the rain.

"Of course not, Evan, why would I? You're amazing, where's all this coming from?"

"I don't know, it's just that in my first relationship I got cheated on, and I thought it was my fault, but then we got back together only for it to end the same way. As we were just sitting here all that came to my mind and I just thought, maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe I'm too fat or ugly and I'm just a pity date because obviously why would anyone-" Scott cut Evan off with a kiss, wiping away a few stray tears with his thumb.

"Don't you ever say that, Ev. You're perfect. I love you so much, because you're amazing and wonderful and beautiful. You are not a pity date, because I would do anything for you, okay? Anything. It doesn't matter what that other guy did to you okay? He doesn't deserve you if he cheated on you twice, because he was dumb enough to throw you away and I bet he's regretting it right this very second because he let someone so incredible go. Which is fine because now you're mine, and that makes me so happy, alright Evan? You make me happy, so, so happy."

"You make me happy too, Scott."