Chapter 42

When you plan a really good ending and suddenly feel inspired to keep writing

---------

"You need what?" The demon leans back in his office chair, eyes narrowed at the being in front of him. "I don't believe that was part of our deal." He moved so that his elbows are on the desk, hands clasped together. "I promised you one of them, not both."

The Angel rolls his eyes, the girl behind him beginning to tremble as she sensed a conflict on the horizon. "Too bad, I need both of them if we want to make this battle equal."

The demon slams a fist onto the desk. "Equal? What part of our shared history has ever been equal? Now, if you want both of them, you better be willing to pay a hefty price for it." He narrows his eyes, standing so that he was eye to eye with the angel. "What is the hybrid worth to you, huh?"

The second Angel steps forward, a look of wary determination on her face. "I think you know what he's worth to us, you just don't think we have the guts to pay your price." She gets as close as she dares, knowing all the tales of what demons could do to someone, what they could do to an angel like her. "Now tell me, who is it you want dead?"

The demon lets out a hearty laugh, smiling like the devil himself. "Now you're talking."

----

"What's this all for?" Evan asks as he steps into Scott's apartment, his roommate being away for the weekend. In the middle of the room there's a makeshift fort- chairs being taken from the dining room table and arranged altogether with a sheet thrown over top, solid black like how Evan's wings used to be. Underneath, the floor was covered with blankets and pillows, a large bowl of popcorn in the middle and a stack of movie off to the side. Evan tilted his head in confusion at the sight as Scott leads him closer to it.

"Well, after you told me everything you've been through, I was determined to make you happy. Because you don't have to go through all that anymore, at least not alone. I'm here. We're gonna make some good memories that you can tell everyone one day." Scott smiled, pushing on Evan's shoulders so that he sat down while he put in a movie. Afterwards, he crawled into the space besides Evan, who was laying comfortably amongst the blankets and pillows, kissing his boyfriend's cheek.

"You know," Evan said, looking at Scott with a lovestruck expression that he didn't even think he was capable of. "It's moments like these that really make me feel human."

----

"You-you're lying. I know you are, you can't go promising things like that. You don't even know what you're saying!"

The Angel grows closer. "You don't have to lie to us, we understand what you want. And we can give it to you, just take this when it is presented to you and you will live happily ever after." He smiled like Angels do. "I promise."

He looked up at the supernatural being with suspicion and caution. "What's the catch? Isn't that the thing with Angels, there's always a catch?"

"No catch." He presses his thin lips together, a forced smile fixed onto his features. "Just promise to do this and you can have what you really, truly want."

The human's eyes fall to the ground, his brows furrow, mind hidden in thoughts and opportunities that had just arisen. Having what he had always wanted, that seemed too good to be true.

"Tell me, human, are you willing to kill for the Angels?"

Silently, he nods. "Yes, yes I am willing to kill for the Angels."