Chapter 34

"My name is Amber, I'm here to guide you into the next life."

Evan scowled, rolling his eyes as he hopped off the hospital bed, walking straight through a doctor who was frozen in place.

He stared straight at the reaper, looking her up and down. "No." He declared. "You're an angel, not a reaper."

Her eyes flashed with faint rage. "How do you know?" She stomped a foot on the ground in anger.

Evan smirked, circling around her; she stared after him. "Because," he started, stopping right in
front of her. His eyes flashed and his wings appeared for a few seconds. "Reapers only visit humans."

Clenching her fists, she took a swing at him. "This is why I hate hybrids." Evan dodged her next hit. "They know what happens everywhere." She nailed Evan's stomach, causing him to gasp in pain. As he kneeled on the ground, clutching his stomach, she grabbed a fist full of shirt and pulled him up. "Heaven. Hell. Purgatory."

Evan swung at her as she finished her statement, knocking her back as she released his shirt. "What? Are you mad that you angels only get to live in paradise?" He took another swing once she had gotten up, the impact took her to the ground once more.

"How would you even know, it's not like you've ever been there! You've probably been in Hell, plotting to kill everyone because if you can't be happy, no one can!" Blood slowly dropped from her nose, she quickly wiped it away with her hand.

The roles were reversed as Evan now grabbed her shirt collar and slammed her against the wall, her feet at least a foot off the ground. "Maybe you're right, I have plotted to kill everyone quite a few times." He tightened his grip, narrowing his eyes. "But I was perfectly happy until you angels interfered and dragged me up to your paradise."

Red glazed over his eyes while hers widened in realization and fear. "Y-you-"

"Exactly." He cut her off, now wrapping his hands around her throat, she immediately began to choke on nothing as her way of breathing vanished.

After a few seconds of hearing her sputter and choke, Evan grew bored. His eyes darkened as a thought came to mind.

Releasing her throat, she was able to get a single breath before Evan snapped her neck, throwing her lifeless body on the ground. "I'm what Heaven wants."

His eyes were stuck looking ahead as he made his way over to the door, stepping over the body as he began to search.

---

"Evan is out of surgery, he's fine although he did give us quite a few scares there, but nothing you should concern yourself. His injuries consist of two shattered ribs, several impalements from different pieces of the car, and possible head trauma. You may see him, but I should warn you he's in a temporary coma at the moment." The doctor spoke, his eyes meeting every single one of the waiting friends.

---

Leaning against the door frame, Evan watched as the doctors hooked up some machines to his comatose body. Scott was asleep in his own bed, making Evan smile to himself as he went over and picked up his clipboard.

"Thank god you're alright." Evan said, placing the clipboard back.

He ventured back out into the hallway, seeing all his friends talking in the waiting room. However, because he was in the dead space, the living moved slower than he.

A man walked through him, Evan shuddered as a wave of coldness engulfed him. He turned to see the man walk into Scott's room.

Worry consumed him as he walked straight back into his boyfriend's room, just staying at the door temporarily. He had ventured further in when he stopped himself.

"Don't be that type of boyfriend. Just because one guy cheated on you, does not mean they all will. You're not that type of guy, you trust him."

So he left the room to see if he could find out what his friends were saying.

---

"Craig, he's going to be fine-" Jonathan began to say.

"Shut the hell up, this is your fault." Craig snapped, jabbing a finger into his chest. "I don't know what happened, or how it happened, but you did something. This is your fault!" He screamed in his face.

Tyler wrapped his arms around his waist, dragging him away from Evan's ex. "Babe, calm down, I'm sure it wasn't his fault."

"It was! He had to have done something!" Craig continued to struggle against his boyfriend's grip.

"And you're innocent, right? It's just my fault because it can't be yours!" Jonathan threw him a glare, sick of Craig blaming him for everything wrong with his brother.

Yes, he cheated on Evan, yes he did it twice, yes he did break his heart, but he also gave Evan some of his happiest moments. He made him smile when Craig was being a dick, like when Evan called him after they had that big fight. Jonathan took him to the hospital to get stitches.

Not every moment they had together was a bad moment. They laughed, texted each other, whispered comforting words to each other, they were there for each other.

Whether Craig liked it or not, Evan and Jonathan did actually love each other at one point. There was a point when just the thought of Jonathan made Evan smile, when his kiss absolutely melted his heart. Yes, it wasn't a long relationship, but they enjoyed it, they had fun, they fell in love.

Jonathan wasn't always the bad guy.