Chapter 40

Dedicated to CatofStealth who is amazing and you should check her out because it's her birthday and she deserves ALL THE LOVE BECAUSE SHES A GREAT FRIEND AND A GREAT PERSON AND DAMNIT SHE NEEDS TO BE APPRECIATED
-------------

"You never talk about your family." Evan's voice is barely heard by Scott as they cuddled on the couch, the volume of the TV drowning out nearly everything. The human is thrown off guard as the words reach his ears.

"Excuse me?" Scott wanted to make sure he had heard him right.

"You never talk about your family, why is that?" The volume is lowered, Evan's dark eyes now fixed on him, he felt nervous, yet calm. Evan had revealed so much about himself, because Scott had wanted him to feel safe and comfortable, he knew he could do the same, but he still felt anxious about it.

"There's not much to talk about." He shrugs, avoiding Evan's questioning eyes. To try to distract him, he cuddles closer to him, shuffling his body down so that it was easier to bend his body to kiss him.

"I don't care, I want to know. All we ever talk about is me, what about you?" Evan countered, pulling away from the kiss Scott had leaned in to give him.

Sighing, Scott knew that he was right, and the only choice he had now was to give in and accept that he would have to talk. To bring himself comfort, he began to run his hands through Evan's soft black hair as he spoke.

"I had a good, normal childhood. Parents were happily married, had a baby brother when I was five, went to amusement parks and stuff, you know. The normal kid stuff." Scott didn't notice the confused look on Evan's face- that had definitely not been the childhood he had, but he shook it off. Scott was human, of course his childhood was different.

Scott continued. "Growing up, I really trusted my family, you know? I felt like I could tell them anything and everything, which I did." He paused, face scrunched up as he remembered. "I knew I was gay when I was a freshman in high school, I was fourteen, but I didn't tell anyone. Yet. Not until I was sixteen, when I had finally decided that I was going to tell my family. First, I told my little brother, and he took it pretty well, but I really don't think he knew what it meant, but it was nice that he accepted me. We hugged and I told him that I was going to tell mom and dad at dinner, he said ok. Dinner came around and I told them. But, their reactions weren't what I was expecting. Basically, they kicked me out, so I went to my room, packed a suitcase, and left. Haven't seen or talked to them since then."

Evan heard small sniffles come from his boyfriend, so he sat up and pulled him into a hug. "I'm sorry I asked." He spoke softly as he squeezed the human. Pressing a kiss to his forehead, they sat in silence for a few heartbeats.

"It's fine, Ev. You're my boyfriend, I should've told you by now. You told me about your family, it's only fair." He wiped away a few tears, snuggling further into Evan's side. "I love you so much, Evan." Scott said through his tears, voice muffled by the fabric of Evan's shirt.

"I love you, too, Scott." Evan kissed the top of his head, resting his chin on top soon after, letting the human cry into shirt for as long as he needed to. "Just let it out, you're okay now, you're with me, I got you."

Evan felt deja vu as he said all those things to Scott, because it felt like he was just repeating everything that Jonathan had said to him, time and time again.

But, this is different, he told himself. I actually mean it, I would do anything for Scott. I love him more than anything in the world. He's perfect and wonderful and-

That's when it hit him. All this time he had convinced himself that he had been in love with Jonathan, that he still had some feelings for him. Because they had been together, and it hurt that Jonathan kept trading him in for someone else, but he got it now. Now that he was with Scott, he learned what had been missing from his first relationship.

True love.

With Scott, Evan was immensely happy, even more so than when he was with Jonathan, Evan felt comfortable enough to tell Scott anything, things that Jonathan didn't even know until after he had died and come back.

Although they had been happy together, Evan didn't really love Jon, no, he loved him as a friend, but nothing more. Because he wasn't used to love, he thought that what they had was love, but it wasn't. Not like what he had with Scott.

---

"Jon, tell me, and be honest, did you ever really love Evan? Like, was there ever any real feelings between you two?" Craig asked, eye brows raised.

Jonathan had to think about the question, about what exactly the demon was asking him. He thought back to all the times he had been with Evan, all he could remember was being happy. He liked the feeling he got around Evan, rather than Evan himself. Because, he had never really flirted with Evan, he sort of just went with what everyone else had been saying, that he liked him, but he didn't. So, when Evan kissed him, he kissed back because he didn't know what else to do, because the feeling of it was so good.

"No." He said. "I don't think I ever did."

---

Scott had finally calmed down, and was nuzzled into Evan's side as they continued to mindlessly watch television. Evan's thoughts were running at a mile a minute.

Going against every instinct in his body, he turned to Scott.

"There's something I have to tell you."