Chapter 50

"No matter what, do not leave this room, got it?" Evan said, trying his hardest not to look at the spot where he had died years ago. "This is the safest place for you to be. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." He looked Craig. "You'll be fine." His brother nodded even though he didn't want to.

Evan left the room, now allowing himself to be nervous and scared, knowing that he could die again. He wasn't invincible, he was just as able to be killed as anyone he had locked into that room. The thought of waking up in Heaven terrified him more than anything.

"Stop." Evan told himself. "You're going to be fine." He picks up the metal pipe before walking towards the stairs. "This ends today, no matter what." Evan advances up the stairs, mentally preparing for the worst. Although he found no comfort in this, with his luck things seemed to always turn out worse than he originally thought.

He wished he knew for sure if he would wake up tomorrow completely fine, it would make all his decisions easier. No, scratch that, it would make his life easier, there were no decisions in his life, no matter what he did to avoid this, avoid the Angels, it would always lead him back to this. He would always end up like this, always be brought back to this place.

"It ends today." He says as he reaches the top of the stairs, the blood stained pipe in hand as he walks to the front door, determined.

He's met with exactly what he suspects as he walks out of the buildings. An arsenal of angels and demons, waiting for him. One demon in particular catches Evan's eye, yet he pretends not to care, tightening his grip on the metal pipe, finding comfort in knowing that it was there.

"Hello, Evan. Have you finally come to your senses? Are you finally going to be joining the correct team?" One of the Angels spoke out to him, Evan ignored her, focusing on one demon.

"Estherion, nice to see you again." He grits his teeth, grinding them against each other. "How is it being an Angel's pet?" The demon is taken aback by his words.

"Evan, I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Liar." Evan's dark eyes glare at the demon with hatred, thinking of how everything that happened, it happened because of him. Estherion chose him to be a guardian, because he knew this would happen. "I know what you're doing, Estherion. I know what you did, I know you're motives, I know what you are."

"Evan, I'm just a demon-"

"Stop lying." Evan smashed the pipe against his skull, having gotten close to him quicker than he  had expected. He stopped himself from swinging a second time. "Now, try again."

"I-I don't-" Evan smashed his head with the metal pipe again, more blood splattering onto its once silver surface, now caked in dried shades of red.

"You chose demons to fool everyone, you tried to play a good guy, you pretended to make things equal, but you didn't, did you? You were a soldier looking for something to shoot with, you created Guardians just so you could find someone like me, someone like us, didn't you?" He hit him with the pipe once more, harder than the last two smacks. "Don't lie to me this time." Anger boils in his veins for a second time that day, but this time he had no intentions of stopping, no matter if it killed him.

"Evan, that's enough-" The hybrid smashed the pipe into the Angel that had come up behind him, trying to calm him down.

"You don't get to tell me what to do!" He shouted at the dead angel beneath him, not knowing the strength of the blow he had dealt. Evan wasn't sorry, his dark eyes swept the crowd. "No one here tells me what to do, got it? Or you'll end up like him." He pointed to the corpse, fearfully every being nodded.

Estherion gets to his feet, blood trailing down his face from his nose, a thin red line leading into his mouth and down his chin. "Evan, my dear, angry Evan. I understand that you're upset, a series of tragedies have appeared to have happened, but," Evan pulls himself away from Estherion's outstretched grasp, "I, we can fix it, we can make it better. You can have whatever you want, Evan, just join us. I promise, Evan, whatever you want." He smiles, and Evan just scowls at him.