Chapter 27

It's not a good idea to plan another book rn but IM DOING IT ANYWAY. (The MiniCat one)

Does anyone want a sneak peek?

-------------------

The guys had been gone for a week, and Craig could understand why Evan had chosen this particular moment to tell him.

Tyler was the only one who had classes, and then the demon had made him go get groceries straight after, anything that might go wrong would go wrong with him out of the way.

"Why?" It was the only thing he could say as Evan packed things into boxes.

He stopped, sighing, but refusing to look his brother in the eye as he answered. "Craig, we're grown up now, the guys are gone, you're with Tyler, it's time."

"No, no, Evan stay! It doesn't matter that I'm with Tyler, we've always lived together! It was so lonely without you, please?" Craig was begging, not wanting to see the hybrid go.

"I-I can't, Craig. I already got the apartment, which was a fuck ton of work, by the way, it's time. Don't worry, this is good for me, getting out on my own, doing my own thing. I need this, Craig, you have to admit that."

Evan still couldn't look the demon in the eyes as he continued to pack up his things. "I'm sorry." He whispered to the demon, although he could just be mistaken for talking to himself.

Craig left the room without another word, leaving his brother to pack by himself.

--

Evan didn't know what was wrong with him, he never really knew these days, but this time he actually felt like he was crazy.

He knew that this move was good for him, though, he knew it. Being by himself would be good, he knew it was.

This is what he needed, his own space, a place where he could be himself, without having to worry about what everyone thought of him. Without the constant thought of living with people who looked at him like he was going to explode any minute.

As a plus, he'd have a place for Scott to hang out with him without fearing someone was going to come in and ask questions about it.

This was good, he kept telling himself, this was good.

--

He could've handled the plane alone, if he wasn't constantly reminded of what he had left behind with Craig. Who he left behind.

It was his fault, he understood that, but some small part of him thought that Evan would still go back with him.

He didn't even get a goodbye.

Everyone else did, he was sure of it, but not him, not Jonathan, Evan didn't even want to look at him, it was understandable, but it hurt.

He deserved the hurt.

The hurt that passed through his chest when he glanced to his right on the plane, expecting to see Evan sleeping right there, his mouth parted slightly and a few strands of hair falling in front of his eyes. He'd push them back, run his fingers through Evan's soft black hair, the boy would flinch slightly from the touch since he was sleeping, but relax almost in a heartbeat since it was him.

He turned to the window angrily, trying to swallow the hurt that was building up in his chest just imagining the scene. He missed it, he really missed it. Being with Evan had been great, no matter how the hybrid was feeling, it was always great.

A part of him blamed Zach, for inviting him to that damn party, but he knew that it wasn't true, that all he was doing was trying to push the blame off himself. It was never his fault, not if he could help it.

But Zach didn't force him to the party, no, in fact Jonathan forced Evan to let him go. He didn't put a beer in his hand, take his phone out of his pocket and put it in his own. Zach didn't make him go home with a girl, didn't force him to cheat on Evan.

When it came down to it, he was the only one to blame.

He hated that, no, he detested that, but he had to live with it.

--

Speak of the devil, Zach was waiting for him when he got off the plane. No sign, no flowers, just car keys and a smile.

"Hey," Zach greeted, falling into step beside Jonathan. "How was the trip? What about your bo-"

"Don't." Jonathan snapped, cutting him off. He knew he should be nicer to him, it wasn't his fault. But he wanted it to be.

Zach crossed his arms with a smirk. "Fine." He paused for a few minutes, allowing them to walk in silence in a bit. "Did you do your homework?"

Jonathan stopped as the realization dawned on him.

"Shit."

---------------

I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all.

"No." I knew it would do nothing, but I still protested, it's my thing.

"Come on, it won't be that bad. Think about it, in a few years we'll be best friends." His lips curved up in a smile so large it snaked into his eyes as well.

I let out a low, intimidating growl, causing him to step back a few steps in shock. "I already have a best friend." Turning around with anger, I stalked off to my poor excuse for a room.

I threw open the white door, nearly hissing as I entered and was met with somewhat familiar white walls, I always forgot about that.

Slamming the door, I flopped onto the soft bed and stared at the ceiling, ignoring the inevitable knocks.

This time they didn't stop.

Sitting up with annoyance, I glared around the white room, my eyes landing on the door. Maybe, just maybe, they would feel the glare and back off.

"Evan, come on, you have to get used to me eventually! We're under the same roof! Can't avoid me forever!" That voice, his voice, it bugs me to no end.

"Fuck off, Chris." I snarled, grabbing the object closest to me and hurling it at the door.

"Ev, you know you're not allowed to use that language!" He sang, still right outside my door.

I pulled my knees up to my chest, covering my ears with my hands as I hoped he would go away. I can't take this, I can't.

"Come on, stop being grumpy and talk to me! We're basically brothers now!"

That was it, that was the last straw.

I marched over to the door, ignoring shards of the object I had broken, the pieces scattered across the floor and crunching underneath my feet.

There was a glare on my face as I opened the door and came face to face with the dick himself.

"Nice to see you, br-" It was a blur to me, I can't really remember what happened, what exactly I did, but I remember the last thing I said to him.

Well, I actually said it to my 'parents'.

"You can try all you want, but you can never, ever replace them."

After that day, they never looked at me the same way, good, I hope they finally realized their mistake.