Chapter 41

"What is it, Ev? You look nervous, like really nervous. Are you having a panic attack? Do you need something?" Scott is on his feet in a matter of seconds, looking at his boyfriend with genuine concern.

"I-I'm fine, I just, I'm really nervous to tell you." Evan is suddenly shy, refusing to meet Scott's eyes as he goes back to sitting down. "Give me a minute." Although he's still unsure, Scott nods so he can give Evan a bit more reassurance from him.

After a few more minutes, Evan takes a deep breath. "You can do this." He mumbles to himself, bringing his head up so he can look at Scott. "I'm not actually a human."

--

"I will fucking kill you." Craig glares at Jonathan. "You're telling me that we went through all this shit, and you never even loved him? What the hell kind of shitty rom com are you writing here?"

"A very shitty one, obviously, I mean you literally just said it." Jonathan tried to joke, even though he could tell that the demon was legitimately pissed.

Craig pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration. "Lucifer's sake, I hate you so much." He locks eyes with him. "Do you know how much I've had to go through because of all this? Actually, I'm not even gonna go there- because if you didn't actually love him, why the fuck would you date him?"

Jonathan, squirming under the intense gaze the demon was casting at him, tried to think back to four years ago, when he had dated Evan. "I don't know, he just kissed me and it was really nice, he was upset and I made him feel better. It's nice to know that you're the reason someone is smiling, okay? So, I went with it. But, you saw how that went.

"Then we tried again, and I told myself, okay, this time you're going to like him, this time you're not going to use him, but I still did that, and I hurt him. Then he replaced me, but I refused to accept that someone else was making him smile, I thought I was special, because that had once been me."

As Craig listened, he realized something. "You two only got together because of me, didn't you? If I hadn't been such a dick, none of what happened would've happened. Evan wouldn't have been so upset, oh my Lucifer, I was the reason Evan was heartbroken..."

Jonathan immediately jumped up, placing a hand on Craig's shoulder. "Don't blame yourself, Craig, okay? It's not your fault that I'm a dick who doesn't know how to treat a significant other. It's not your fault that Evan got hurt because I'm the one who hurt him, okay? Time after time I treated him like shit, but he never left, after everything I did to him, he still died for me. Yes, that was his job, but he didn't have to. None of what happened is your fault. It's mine."

Craig looked at Jonathan. "He's my brother, Jon, I'm supposed to protect him. But I can't, because I'm a demon and I don't know how to. We both don't know how to treat someone. Before Evan died, all we did was fight, and if we didn't fight, I was dragging him somewhere against his will, because he let me....his parents literally died in front of him and all I did was order him around....if either of us is awful, it's me." Craig was now mostly speaking to himself, eyes glazed over with sadness.

"He didn't know how love worked, and I used that to my advantage." Jon was now doing the same, speaking to himself under his breath. "I'm gonna go, see ya later." He says to the demon, who is still lost in thought.

--

"Hold on, lemme see if I got this right- you're an angel? But also a demon? A hybrid, you said? Evan, be honest, are you taking some kind of medication I don't know about-Is this a joke? It's a joke, right?" Scott looked confused after Evan had explained everything to him- Angels, demons, Heaven, Hell, Guardians, and anything else that came to mind.

Evan had a few tears built up in the corners of his eyes as he shook his head. "It's not a joke, I'm not on meds, you have to believe me, Scott. I'm not lying."

Scott was on his feet now, taking cautious steps toward the hybrid. "I'm not saying it's a joke, babe. It's just, really hard to believe, you know? You sure you're not on meds?"

Evan nodded slowly, racking his brain for anything he could think of that could convince Scott he wasn't crazy.

Then, it hit him.

"I can prove it." Evan says. "Close your eyes, just for a second." Although he was skeptical, Scott complied, closing his eyes.

Nervous, Evan took a deep breath, allowing his wings to appear. "Okay you can look now."

Scott slowly opens his eyes, taken by surprise as he sees Evan's wings. He gasps, slowly standing.

"A-are they real?" Scott asks quietly, stepping forward, running his hand over them. Without warning, he tugs on them, causing Evan to whimper in pain. "Sorry, just making sure." Scott apologizes.

Evan turns around, wings folded neatly against his back. "Do you believe me?" Scott nods. "I get if you don't want to be with me anymore, it's fine, Scott. I'm not going to force you-"

Scott cuts him off with a kiss, wrapping his arms around his neck. After a few seconds, they pull away.

"Of course I want to be with you, babe. You're still the same person I fell in love with."