Chapter 21

This is an INTENSE chapter. Read at your own risk!

I laid on top of penny's body as he caressed my back. We laid in silence, in complete darkness apart from the one small candle that burned. We had been in this position for hours and I felt as if I could stay like this forever, but I knew that wasn't possible. As if he read my mind, Penny sat up. He laid me down on the empty side of the bed as he towered over me.

"I have to feed" he said. I nodded approvingly instead of fighting it like I used to. I laid there watching him in silence as he began to leave the room. He turned to look at me before he spoke up. His face was dimly lit from the candle that I had burned as our only source of light. The power had gone out hours ago and we didn't know when it'd be back. There was another storm coming and this seemed to be consequence of that. But I felt safe here with Penny. I always did.

"You'll need to feed soon too" he said as his eyes scanned my face for a reaction. My eyes looked at him blankly and he took that at his answer because quite frankly, I didn't have a choice. I sat up slowly, my hair disheveled and stuck on my face from the light sweat I had created.

"What's gonna happen to me?" I asked as my lips parted slightly. I felt the soft satin sheets under my hand, gripping them gently.

"Not now" he said as he looked at me with a stern look. I crawled over to the side of the bed, my silk dress threatening to slip up and expose my body. My feet touched the soft rug and made their way towards him. Now standing in front of him, I looked into his eyes, as his own reflected into mine.

"Take me with you" I said as I looked down at his gloved hand and took it into mine.

"I want to see you hunt" I said as I bit my lip, trying to persuade him.

"It's not safe" he said as he gripped my small hand.

"I'm not safe anymore" I whispered as I looked down at our now intertwined hands. I looked back up at him with innocent eyes, hoping he'd comply with my wish.

"Stay far from the mess" he said as he quickly picked me up and carried me bridal style. I placed my head against his chest as I heard his shallow heartbeat. My hand laid neatly on his chest as well as I saw my bare feet dangle on the opposite side of me. I looked up at him and saw his face of concentration as he made his way into the woods.

The air was thick and the silence grew dense as Penny went further into the dark trees. The way he carried me felt so effortless to him. He could've picked me up with one hand from how strong he was. He didn't have normal humane strength, as he wasn't human in the first place. Yet he held me so gently, cautious on how tight his fingers pressed onto my skin. As if I was a piece of art from an expensive museum that would be irreplaceable if broken. I knew I was irreplaceable to him. I carried him in me now, I was his strength and weakness, his creation.

Penny's eyes narrowed as he put me down onto the cold dirt floor. I stood there, staring at him as he looked around, sniffing. He looked like a werewolf hunting for its next prey. The moon was full and he was hungry.

Suddenly I heard a couple of voices coming from the opposite side. It sounded like a couple of boys, clearly intoxicated.

"Nahhhh man over here" one of the voices said, slurring on the words. The voice was then followed by a light chuckle, which I assumed was his friend. My eyes darted towards Penny who was now smiling and drooling like a dog about to get a savory treat. He then disappeared into the thick mess of trees as I stood there waiting for the screams, but nothing ever came.

"Yo check this out" one of the boys slurred as the voice made its way towards me. I snapped my head towards that direction and realized a couple of college boys had noticed me standing there alone. The voices had belonged to them, obviously.