Chapter 27

Flashback

Penny stood in the darkness of the room, watching their every move. They didn't know he was there, and he didn't want them to know. His nostrils flared as he took in the sweet scent that filled the air around them.

The couple was oblivious to the dark shadow that lurked within their bedroom walls. It was something they would never be able to explain, such heavy feeling. They looked at each other as if they were the only persons in the room, fair they weren't.

Love.

Such a tragic word. Something Penny was yet to comprehend, even after those solitude years walking this soil. He didn't know what it was, and how it came, but the taste was intoxicatingly enough.

His gaze shifted as the couple moved around the room. They were always on his mind. The way the looked at each other, the energy that connected them. It was much stronger than fear... yes yes, fear indeed.

It was rare although, something not even their own minds could understand. But Penny didn't matter for such questions and answers. He knew one thing and one thing for sure, he wanted more..

The days passed by, and they turned into years. The couple grew old, but Penny stayed the same, feeding off their affection. He never grew bored, he never marked the innocent. Penny was pure, not a drop of self motivated sins in him. But although the couple lasted all those years hand in hand, the grip between them began to dislodge.

There were fights. Hatred. Sadness. Bitterness.

Penny's appetite for the rare taste was no longer, as it was no longer present. Although, one thing did stay the same.

The girl.

She was growing, just as them. She had her mothers hair and fathers eyes. Fire and emerald. Penny watched her every move. Trying to understand how such a simple thing of love, could create life of its own. He tried feeling the same emotions for her, but he never did.

The couple continued to grow old and distant. And  the child became a woman. She was a mirror image of her mother, yet not quite the same.

The only thing that connected the couple was her. But even she wasn't enough. So Penny grew tired and angry at the impatient feeling. That eternal wait for that taste and energy that was once there.

He soon reappeared more in the nests of darkness, awaiting for its arrival. It never came.

He woke up, angry and starving. He had finished waiting. The evil creeping up his spine and bones.

He crept in. With one thing on his mind. To take the only thing that connected them, so that they would hurt just as their selfishness had hurt him. He was petty. He was angry.

She screamed onto his chest as they disappeared into the darkness. He had no intention of keeping her. But when the couple broke their connection for the last time, he was so angry, so hurt, so betrayed, he kept her out of revenge, out of anger.

Hidden away, floating who knows how many years, she floated quietly under his spell. She was nothing to him, just a trophy of a memory. A memory that was once love and turned into hate.

He hated her. He looked at her with disgust in his eyes as she was a constant reminder of how love really was.

She stayed asleep for years and years. He used her against his weakness. One look at her, and penny's anger would rise once again. He never wanted to look at love, or taste it. She was a cure for his softness. She kept him cold hearted and evil. She was his sins.

He never intended to touch or feel or taste love. He intended to feed and rest, as his nature called for. He was he.

But then there was her...

Lola.