Chapter 43

I stood frozen in fear as the yellow eyes looked back at my body. Slowly, I began to shiver at the cold dampness and his longing stare.

"I'm sorry" I whispered into the silent air. I felt him move towards me, even though I couldn't see him through the darkness. I held my breath as his growls grew closer. They were almost unintentional, it's as if they came from within him, without him trying.

I gasped as I felt his hand wrap against my throat, slamming me against the wall. It didn't feel as rough as before. I squeezed my eyes shut, scared to see the  angriness unfold on his face.

"I told you" he said. I tried my best to nod under his grip, letting him know that I understood. I opened my eyes slowly, still struggling to breathe, but not due to his grip around my throat. I felt him remove his hand from my neck, as I slid against the wall, my legs too shaky to hold me up. I felt him pick me up, once again on his shoulder I was flung.

I heard the water sloshing around from under his heavy footsteps. He kept walking for what felt like forever but I couldn't see where we were going due to the pitch darkness, but Penny seemed to know his way. He did live here after all.

"Where are we going?" I asked him as he continued to stride through the darkness. My head was beginning to hurt due to all the blood rushing to the top of it.

Suddenly, the tunnels began to illuminate with moonlight. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as they grey lighter and lighter. I felt Penny finally put me down and it was then I realized we were at the entrance of the tunnel, exactly where I was heading to in the first place.

I felt Penny nudge me forward as I looked into the dimly lit woods. I turned around to look at him, confused.

"Go" he said as he pushed me again softly. I stood in hesitance and doubt. I was scared to leave, to leave him. He seemed upset, not angry, but almost sad. It felt like he was setting a wild animal free, back to where it belonged.

"Penny" I whispered as I felt my eyes swell up with sadness.

"Go home" he said back with a gentle voice, raspy tone and all. I shook my head trying to fight against his words. I felt guilty leaving, even though I was trying to escape about 20 minutes ago, it felt different when he was the one setting me free.

"Go" he said, a little more aggressive this time. I looked at him silently, not moving.

"You're too stubborn for your own good" he said as he gave me a glare. My heart ached at the familiar words. I wanted to wrap my arms around him, to be enveloped with his circus scents and feel the soft silk of his suit against my skin, the same way it did those passionate nights, not long ago.

We were strangers now.

That's exactly how it felt.

I slowly turned around, stepping out of the tunnel and into the pale moonlight. I looked back at him, for reassurance. I was hoping he'd change his mind, to growl at me to come back like he always did.

Anything. Anything at all.

But he never did and so I continued to walk into the cold night. I was almost out of the tunnels view, when I stopped dead in my tracks. Regret washing throughout my body, like a wave at the beach, the small grains of sand being my doubt. I turned around sharply, preparing to run back.

I stood silent when I realized Penny was gone. He had gone back into the huge tunnels, and there was no way I would be able to find him without getting lost again. With a heavy heart, I turned around and continued to walk into the dark and lonely town. It held so many memories and even in the silence of the night, I felt those memories echo. They sounded loud, almost taunting me.