Chapter 26

Old money- Lana Del Rey

I sat in the taxi cab, staring out the window. Every 5 minutes I would see a red balloon and I knew it was Penny's doing. His last attempt to stop me from leaving.

I stepped out of the car and reached for my luggage in the trunk. I looked down at my phone and read the multiple messages Rebecca had left.

"Running late! Be there soon xoxo" -Rebeca. That was the last message she had sent.

I sighed as I realized I'd have to be alone for a bit at the airport. I walked into the busy building as I looked around for a bench to sit on. Once I found one, I began to type away on my phone before I slowly tilted my head up. There in the center of the airport, was a red balloon with my name on it. I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed it but nobody did. I knew I was the only who could see it. My eyes filled with tears as I remembered how sad and broken Penny looked when I had last seen him. I felt heartless.

"Hey!" I heard a familiar voice yell towards my direction. I looked at the source of the sound and realized it was Rebecca. We hugged and gathered our things and began the airport process. We were to meet the rest of the girls at the terminal.

The rest of the morning went without seeing another balloon. I guess Penny had given up. I sighed in relief as I wouldn't have to feel that heart wrenching pain every time I saw the red balloon.

"Are you excited?" Anna asked as she nudged my shoulder. We were now waiting in line to board the plane.

"Of course" I said trying to sound happy but deep down I felt sad.

"It's going to be fun!" Anna responded before handing her passport to the flight attendant. I handed mine right after and looked behind me one more time. My body froze in shock as I saw Penny standing in the center of the terminal. People walked past him and I realized once again, that I was the only one who could see him. He was looking at me with anger and sadness. A mix of emotions. Yet there he stood, tall and silent, staring right into my soul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had finally arrived at the airport in London. It was bigger than our airport and a lot busier
due to the larger crowd, but even in such a busy atmosphere, I still felt lonelier than ever. I looked around trying to spot a red balloon or any sign on Penny, but I knew he wasn't here.

"You good?" Rebecca asked as she pulled her luggage behind her. I nodded silently with a weak smile as we continued on our way. Anna and Christina were in a deep conversation walking ahead of us.

I was silent the whole way to the hotel. It was barely 7:24 am here and the baby shower would be in a couple days. We were only going to be here for a week but I knew it would feel like an eternity.

The weather was gloomy but nothing like I hadn't seen before in Derry. I felt my heart ache at the thought of Penny. A week felt like forever but I knew I had to do this. I was still human, I wasn't him. I couldn't stay in one place forever by his side. I had a life before him, people before him.

The first couple of days in London consisted of a lot of touring and meeting Rebecca's family. It was fun but my mind kept wandering off elsewhere.
It kept wondering onto penny.

"So what are you gonna wear?" Christina asked me, trying to make me join the conversation they were having. We were siting down at a cute cafe, having lunch.

"Something warm" I joked as we laughed.

"Miss anyone in particular?" Christina asked jokingly as she wiggled her eyebrows.