Chapter 40

I sat in the cold, old cab seat, looking out the window. The cab driver had tried to make small talk, but I made it very obvious I didn't feel like talking. I continued to look out the window, trying to see if I could see any red balloons, anything that would make me yell at the cab driver to stop and turn around. To take me back home and into the arms of the one I loved the most, but I never saw anything.

I almost cried when I realized we had pulled up at the train station.

This is really happening I thought to myself.

I thanked the driver, paying him with some cash I had found in my coat. It was exactly enough and that was probably the only good thing of my day. I pulled my luggage behind me, entering the big and cold atmosphere of the train station. It was busy, with holidays coming up and all, but I felt anything but cheerful. I could see friends being reunited, families holding each other close, and lovers falling into one another's arms, happy to be together again. My heart ached at the sight, bitterness.

I walked towards the ticket line. It was a pretty long wait and I mentally cursed myself for not buying my ticket online.

'Cash only' the sign read as I entered the line. I reached down to grab my wallet, trying to make sure I had enough cash. I looked around frantically when I couldn't find it. I searched my pockets, purse and luggage. Nothing.

"Fuck" I sighed angry and frustrated. I grabbed my forehead with my hand, thinking on what to do, and realized there was only one thing I could do. Go back home and get my wallet, where I had left it but I could've sworn I remembered picking it up and tucking it into my coat.

I hurried through the busy crowd, trying to find a cab as fast as I could. I stood outside in the cold winter air, looking for any cab. Desperate.

Once I found one, I made sure to tell them I was in a rush, as if it was the drivers fault that I had been forgetful and left my wallet at home.

"Wait here please, I just gotta grab something real quick" I said to the silent cab driver as he pulled up to the front of my apartment complex. He nodded without saying a word as I bolted out of the car, luggage behind me. I didn't want to risk leaving my belongings behind.

I ran towards the elevator, pushing the buttons frustratingly as if it would make it go faster. I got weird looks from other people in the lobby, but that was the least of my worries.

The moment I saw my floor number and the doors opened, I rushed out the elevator, running down the hall. I felt bad for the cab driver having to wait so I needed to make this as quick as possible. I fumbled with my keys, trying to unlock it. I felt a weird presence around me, but I didn't pay any mind to it, completely distracted by my situation. I almost cried in relief as I saw my familiar brown wallet laying neatly on my one night stand.

I gripped it tightly as I made my way out of my apartment. I didn't look back this time, fearful that it would change my mind. I hurriedly walked down the hall, trying to reach the elevator the fastest I could.

I pressed the button to go down. I waited, tapping my foot impatiently. A minute went by and the elevator still hadn't moved. I grew more frustrated and frustrated by the second. After about 3 minutes, I gave up on waiting and headed for the staircase. I grabbed the door handle trying to open the staircase door only to find it stuck in place.

"What the hell" I whispered as my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I tried opening it a couple more times but it was completely jammed, unable to open. I looked around, trying not to panic. The elevator and staircase were the only way out.

I ran back to the elevator, pushing the button repeatedly but it didn't move, as I expected.

"What is happening?!" I sighed as I let my head slam against the wall lightly. My forearm rested above my head as I looked down. I slowly moved my head towards the other end of the hall, opposite to the elevator and staircase. I noticed the small little window that allowed you to see towards the front of my building. I ran towards it, dropping my luggage behind. I slammed against the window sill, desperately looking outside. My eyes widened as I realized the cab driver I had asked to wait for me was pulling off, driving down the road.

"I hate my life" I sighed as I let my back slide against the wall. I let my arms stick out, my forearms resting against my knees as I tilted my head down.

Something weird was happening, I wasn't able to get out. All these years that I had lived in this apartment, never had this happened before. It was the strangest thing. It's as if someone had locked me inside. I looked up, debating wether or not to knock on my neighbors doors.

I stood up, slowly making my way the closest door, knocking softly. After a minute or so of no response, I realized no one would come to the door. There was only 4 apartments on each floor, due to how small the building was. I knocked on all 3 neighboring doors and nobody opened. It made sense due to the fact that most of my neighbors worked full time night jobs and it was already 9pm. I cursed at my luck, I just had to be neighbors with grave yard shift people.

I decided to call someone for help, reaching for my phone. I was surprised to find it still tucked in neatly inside my coat pocket. I picked it up, unlocking it and immediately calling Rebeca. It was dead silent, I looked at my screen, confused. I almost screamed in frustration when I realized I had no signal.

"This can't be happening!" I said as I threw my arms into the air. I paced around, biting my nails, trying to figure out what to do. I didn't want to call the police and make it a bigger deal than it was because I felt like this was happening for a reason and Penny was somehow involved. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but something in my gut told me otherwise.

I walked towards my apartment, dragging my luggage behind me.

"Ok you win" I said out loud.

"You can stop with the mind tricks now" I sighed.

"I got your point" I groaned as I continued down the hall. I heard a sudden ring of familiar bells. I turned around quickly, expecting to see someone there, to see him there. I felt goosebumps raise at the back of neck. I slowly turned around when I didn't see anything or anyone, continuing my journey down the hall and towards my apartment.

I felt something touch my hair softly when I reached my door. I gasped as I spun around again. I grabbed my hair, looking around confused.

"Please" I said trying to make Penny appear to me. Even in this terrifying moment, I was excited that it was him all along or so I hoped. I didn't know what to expect now at this rate.

I stayed there for a bit, hoping he would come to pick me up and hold me in his arms just like I was so desperate for. I fought back tears as the seconds passed by, and still no sign of Penny. I turned around, looking for my keys as tears blurred my vision. I was able to open my door with no problem, unlike the other exits.

I walked in, my heart feeling heavy at still no sign of Penny. I let my luggage fall onto the floor, not bothering to pick it up. I walked towards my bedroom, just wanting to sleep this all off.

My room was cold, oddly cold. I quickly pulled the blankets, seeping into them with my tired body. I let my back form to the mattress as I let my eyes close. I felt myself drifting off, almost like I was floating and then there was just pitch blackness.

I was dreaming, I had to be.

A blur shaped like Penny stood in the doorway. I couldn't see him clearly, but the blurriness of the figure told me it was Penny. I felt it in my heart.  Not moving a muscle as I looked at the figure from the bed. The blurry figure felt upset, hurt and angry. I could feel it in the air, it was thick. I continued to look at him, or what I made out of him, my eyes deep with emotion. The figure stood silently, and even though I couldn't make out any features at all, I felt it looking at me. We didn't say a word, just stared intently at each other. I felt as if I hadn't seen him in forever, even though I had gone longer without seeing him before, but this fight, this fight felt different. I saw the figure begin to walk out, leaving me alone once again. I cried out but I couldn't make a sound. I felt so hopeless, so frustrated but he didn't come back. He never came back.

I woke up gasping for air, covered in cold sweat. It was dark in my room and the air felt thick just like in my dream. My eyes started to become adjusted to the darkness. I looked ahead of me and felt myself stop breathing. I looked straight ahead with wide eyes, heart pounding against my chest.

"Oh my god" I whispered