Chapter 25

I stood in front of the mirror, touching up my hair.

Rebecca and a couple of her friends invited me over to a girls night out and I couldn't say no. I literally could not say no, they wouldn't let me.

I sighed as I pulled down the skin tight dress I had decided to wear. It was black and simple, nothing extravagant. With one last look in the mirror, I sighed again and walked out of the restroom.

I grabbed my purse off the bed and checked my phone, realizing Rebecca had messaged me a couple minutes ago, letting me know she was already outside waiting.

I quickly gathered my things and grabbed my coat from the closet before heading to the front door. My hand landed on the cold door knob and I suddenly heard the familiar sound of bells behind me. I turned around to face Penny as he stood in the far corner of the living room.

"Hey.." I said quietly, not knowing which mood Penny was in today. He gave me a toothy grin and my nerves calmed a bit.

"Where are you going so nice" he said as he pointed at my outfit. I laughed softly as I looked down at myself, just as surprised as he was.

"Out with friends" I said looking back up at him with a gentle smile. He made his way towards me before softly pushing me against the wall. He laid his hands on either side of my head as we looked intently at each other.

"Oh" he growled softly, not sounding necessarily mad.

"Is that ok?" I asked as I played with one of the Pom Poms on his suit. I bit my lip and squinted my eyes, awaiting his response.

"Why wouldn't it be?" He asked suspiciously. I assumed he didn't know what going out meant. The danger of having your significant other find love in someone else in the dark. The risk of them not coming back the same. The risk of them using their love on someone else. Well, that's what people thought anyways.

"Just asking" I played it off as I remembered Rebecca was waiting outside for me.

"I have to go Penny, my ride is here" I said softly as I snaked under his arm to get away from his hold. He lifted himself up from the door and just looked at me with a weird expression. He stood there limp, looking at me blankly, with his long arms laying by his side.

"I'll see you soon ok?" I said as I walked out the door, looking back at him one last time. When he didn't answer me, I took this as my cue to exit.

I walked out into the icy air, a little confused at Penny's behavior from earlier. I hugged my coat tighter around my body as I looked around for Rebecca's car. The air was thick and quiet due to the light snow. Once I spotted the familiar silver car, I hurriedly made my way towards the passenger door.

"Hey, what took you so long, everything okay?" Rebecca asked nonchalant.

"Yeah yeah, just couldn't find my keys" I lied through my teeth. I buckled my seat belt as I looked up towards my balcony. Rebecca began to drive and my eyes stayed still on the balcony of my apartment. My eyes grew wide as I noticed a single red balloon tied to the railing.

"You ok? You look worried" Rebecca spoke up after a couple minutes of silence.

"Oh- what me? Yeah yeah yeah I'm fine!" I said as I waved my hand in my face, trying to act bother less.

"So, the girls and I have something to tell you when we get to the bar" Rebecca said biting her lip in excitement.

"Sweet" I said as I looked out the window at all the beautifully decorated houses. The colorful Christmas lights glowed against the white snow. Suddenly I remembered about my chest.