Chapter 32

I laid in bed, staring up at my ceiling. Penny had been gone for hours. He had taken Jordan with him and my guilt was killing me. I should have never brought Jordan home. If it wasn't for me, Penny would've never put him to sleep and taken him who knows where.

"Omg" I gasped as I realized I had remembered something. I remembered penny's lair. The tall mountain of stuff. The floating children. That's where he had taken Jordan!

I shot out of bed, almost falling in the process. I stumbled to put my shoes and coat on. It was dark out and this time I remembered to grab a flashlight before leaving.

I ran down the street, letting the cold air hit my face. My raincoat making sound against the silence of the night. I breathed heavily as I felt my lungs burn and scream for a break, but there was no time.

I found myself in front of the tunnel. The same tunnel I had seen that girl, the same tunnel Penny took me in.

I bit my lip in hesitance before stepping in. I was afraid. I took cautious steps. I stumbled in the dark, holding onto the walls of the tunnel as my rain boots splashed against the murky water. The smell was unbearable but that was the least of my worries now.

I felt a rush of relief when I remembered I had brought a flashlight with me. I took it out of my deep pocket on my yellow coat and turned it on. I stood in silence, with the occasional sound of dripping pipes, as I flashed the light around, trying to locate where I was.

I continued to walk deeper into the darkness of the tunnel, praying I remembered all the turns and corners we took that night in order to get to penny's lair. I gasped as I heard some type of shuffling sound behind me. I turned around quickly, flashing my light at the sound. I laughed to myself as I realized it was just a rat. On any other occasion I would have freaked out, but the circumstances I was in was way scarier than a random rodent.

I continued to walk into the tunnel and found myself smiling as I came face to face with the lair opening. I ran inside, splashing around. I dropped myself onto the lair from the tunnel opening. I miscalculated and proceeded to stumble and fall onto my knees.

I looked up and saw the pile of treasures and the floating bodies. I squinted my eyes trying to see if I could locate Jordan but I couldn't see anything from this distance. I slowly got up, flashing my light around the open space.

"Penny?" I called out. I smiled to myself as I didn't hear a response. He wasn't there which meant I could take Jordan with me, if I was able to find him.

I quickly made my way towards the collection of bodies as fast as I could, having no time to waste. I knew Penny would end me and Jordan in a fit of jealousy and betrayal if he found out I was trying to save Jordan, but I wasn't going to let another innocent life be taken.

Once in front of the mountain of stuff, I flashed my light up, looking at all the bodies. I held myself back from crying at such sadness. Penny was a monster.

Panic began to fill in me as I couldn't locate Jordan. Penny could be back at any moment.

"Fuck" I whispered as I continued to look up, squinting my eyes. I stepped back in defeat, turning my flashlight off, leaving me in complete darkness. My back rested against an old furniture of some type. I closed my eyes and sighed heavily.

"I'm not giving up" I said to myself as I straighten my composure and turned my flashlight on once again. I began to walk around the lair, calling out Jordan's name numerous times.

I was about to leave, when I realized an old wooden box. It looked almost like a casket. I made my way slowly to it, scared to open it and reveal what was inside.