Chapter 42

I woke up with a pounding headache, all the memories flashing back to me instantly, flooding my head. I sat up, holding my head in pain. I looked around the dark room, or so I thought it was a room.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice echoing throughout the large space. When I didn't get a response, I attempted to stand up, only causing me to fall back down in dizziness. It smelled horrible, like a sewer. I covered my nose and mouth with my forearm as I continued to look around. My eyes became adjusted to the dark and I soon realized I was in the middle of penny's lair. I was laying on a mattress I hadn't seen here before.

My heart pounded with excitement and fear as I realized Penny might be here.

"Penny?" I called out trying not to sound too excited. The only response I got was the occasional drops of water that fell onto the floor, adding an eerie vibe to the atmosphere. I tried to stand up once again, and this time I was able to succeed. I walked around the murky atmosphere, my hands in front of me, trying not to bump into anything. I looked up, staring at all the bodies that floated, it made me sick to the stomach. I looked away quickly, trying to ignore that it was there.

I continued to walk through the darkness that didn't seem so dark anymore, my head still pounding. I kept looking around, trying to see if I could spot Penny.

"Fuck!" I yelped as I bumped into something hard. I grabbed my knee in pain, holding onto whatever I had bumped into. It seemed to be some type of furniture. After the pain subsided, I decided to continue walking, trying to find a way out, the smell was too overwhelming. I stumbled into the dark tunnels, sighing in relief as I recognized the maze of concrete. I held onto the wall for support, trying not to get grossed out by the thought of it.

I continued to walk, not stopping at anything. I didn't know why, but I just didn't want to be there all alone. Not if Penny wasn't there. The sound of water splashing echoed through the tunnels.

"Lola" I heard the familiar voice speak. I stopped dead in my tracks, not turning around. I could hear him breathing heavily.

"Where are you going" he said slowly.

"Home" I lied, trying to hold back tears at the mere sound of his voice. I turned around slowly, preparing to face him. My eyes locked onto his amber ones and I felt excitement and sadness rush through me. We stayed like that for a minute or so, several feet apart, just staring at each other.

I bolted towards him, catching him off guard. I felt my body slam against his as I wrapped my arms tightly around him. He stood still, not hugging me back. I looked up at him confused at his dryness.

"Penny?" I asked looking up into his golden eyes. He looked down at me with a blank expression, not saying anything. Suddenly, I felt his large hands scoop me up, flinging me over his shoulder like he always did when he was annoyed or upset with me. I looked up, noticing he was walking back towards the lair.

"Don't leave" he said as he made his way back into the darkness. I relaxed under his grip, happy he had finally decided to speak.

I held tightly onto him as we entered the lair once again. He continued to walk up, passing the mattress. I looked at the back of his head, confused on where he was taking me.

I felt him lower me to the ground, my back turned to him. I turned around slowly, to face him once again. Behind him I could make out some type of trailer, sort of like a small camping home. It had old circus designs, something a clown would use to get ready for shows.

"I'm staying there.. correct?" I asked pointing to the trailer with furrowed eyebrows.

"Correct" he said, his voice deep and raspy.