Chapter 49

"Life" he said. I backed up, completely shocked at the word. My lips parted slightly in awe as I looked at him with widened eyes. His eyes were full with sorrow, as if he knew something I didn't. He didn't seem happy with this new information and change in our lives. Something was wrong, I felt it.

"No.." I said letting the word linger in the air. Penny stood up, his height intimidating me as always. I looked up slowly, afraid to meet his eyes. My fingers fought against my palms, sweaty. I bit my lip in anxiousness, trying not to give into full panic.

"I'm fine" I whispered, not meaning to make it sound so soft. It sounded almost as if I was trying to convince myself. Penny stepped back slightly, trying to get a full image of me. His blue eyes scanned my whole body, making me feel insecure. I grabbed my opposite arm, looking down in awkwardness as my feet shifted from side to side. I could hear Penny's heavy breathing clearly, it was almost comforting.

"Yes" he said slowly.

"Life is fine" he argued gently but his eyes were electrified with sadness, sparks of helplessness. My eyes shot upwards, lips trembling as I felt electricity rush through my veins, like a rush of energy, a rush of new life.

"You can't be here anymore, among the weak.. among the common" Penny said with a thick and stern voice, no longer sounding childish like usual.

"Please" I said with a shaky breath. My eyes began to fill with tears, stinging my eyes. I looked at him with eyes that swam in emotion.

Drowning.

Without another word, Penny swiftly picked me up. I didn't cry out, didn't fight against him, didn't make a sound. I just laid over his shoulder, gentle as ever. I understood this was something I couldn't fight. It was someone that for once, I couldn't be stubborn against. It was something I had to accept.

I laid on top of the old mattress in the lonely lair. The occasional sound of water droplets hitting the ground being my only companion. I refused to look up, or even open my eyes. I didn't have to look to know where I was. I could feel it in the air, feel it on my skin. The atmosphere was thick and rugged. My stomach sank every time I thought about the life growing inside of me. I could feel my chest burn, but I didn't want to see the light. I didn't want my eyes to reflect the beautiful golden lights that had made a home in me. I didn't want to face the truth anymore. If I really was pregnant, which I didn't doubt anymore, I knew my life would end there. I would be a walking box of emptiness. Would I even be useful to Penny or the lights anymore? I didn't know much about Penny's origin and here I was ready to give life to something I didn't understand. A replica of something that had put me in so much danger before, and I was responsible in keeping it safe and raising it. Penny was bound to sleep soon, which meant I would have to do this all on my own.

And I didn't know if I could.

"You're back" I said with my closed eyes when I heard the familiar jingle of bells. I quietly sat up, my eyes opening slowly. Penny's beautiful stature stood above me. I looked up, squinting due to tired eyes as he towered over me. His mouth was slightly tinted red caused by his recent hunt. His chest rose and fell rapidly as his eyes looked forward, into the dark crevices of his lair, deep in his thought.

"Soon" I said, the word tasting bitter in my mouth, drying my lips out. Penny walked over me, his long limbs striding against me, my hair flying slightly back. His sweet scent lingered around me as his footsteps grew more and more faint. I didn't turn around, I didn't want to see him walk away, I couldn't face the mere action of it. I pulled my legs against my chest, trying not to cry. I sat like that, hours passing me by, caressing my skin until stars kissed the dark skies. Penny refused to be around me. It was almost as if he was afraid of me but I knew deep down I couldn't leave. He wouldn't allow it and not knowing the reason why frightened me beyond belief.