Chapter 38

"Oh honey, sometimes it's for the best" my mom cooed over the phone as I sniffled.

"It's his loss!" She said trying to make me feel better. I bit my lip as it trembled.

"I just don't understand why you won't tell me who he is" My mom stammered on the phone. I shook my head, forgetting she couldn't see me.

"It's useless" I lied. I felt so lonely in my one bedroom apartment. Penny had been gone for hours and I knew those would soon turn into long days and into long months.

My mom sighed against the phone, trying her best to comfort her heartbroken daughter. I hadn't even called her when Norman had broken up with me. I didn't feel that alone, not like now. An emptiness in my heart, but deep down I knew I was the cause for all of this. The stubbornness I carried, a curse. 

"I have to go" I lied as my eyes soaked with tears.

"Are you sure you'll be okay hun?" My mom asked, worry in her voice.

"I'll be fine" I said before smiling weakly and hanging up the phone. I sighed, looking around my apartment. It was so silent, it was almost uncomfortable.

I heard a soft knock on the door. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, wondering who could be visiting me at such hour. I slowly got up from the couch, placing the tub of ice cream on the coffee table in front of me. How cliché.

I balanced myself on my tiptoes, trying to look through the peephole but my tear stained eyes made it difficult to identify the silhouette that stood behind my wooden door. I held my breath as I swung the door open, not caring who stood on the other end.

My face softened at the person standing opposite of me. I felt myself began to breathe again and I almost fell into their arms to cry.

"Lola" Rebeca said with concerned eyes. She quickly made her way into the apartment, holding me.

"What's wrong, you've been so distant" she said trying to comfort me, but all I felt was sadness. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore, or until I had to stop myself.

We sat on the couch for hours, not talking, just feeling the sad silence around us.

"It's okay, to not be okay" Rebeca said as she stroked my hair softly, like Penny had once did. My eyes were swollen and I felt my cheeks sticky with dried tears.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it, about him" she said as she gave me a warm smile. I refused to tell her why I was crying none the less about who, but she had known me too many years, and she knew my different types of crying. This crying was called heartbreak.

"You're so beautiful! You could have anyone! You're smart, gorgeous, and most of all, kind" she said trying to comfort me. My heart ached at her words, even if it was possible for me to have anyone I wanted, which I couldn't, I only wanted him. Penny.

"You don't need him" she continued, trying to make me feel a little bit better.

"Yeah" I said with a small laugh, wiping the tears off my face with the sleeve of my grey sweater.

"I'm not mad by the way" she said as she drew circles with her fingers on her thigh. She looked down at her dark denim before looking back up at me with a faint smile.

"I don't know why you left, but I trust you enough to know it must have been very important" she said referring to her baby shower incident. She was 6 months along now, and I was so excited even through this heartbreak.