Chapter 37

Again- Noah Cyrus, xxxtentacion

"Always" I said as I grabbed his hand. He tensed under my touch, something just didn't feel right but I ignored it because I was afraid to know what was wrong. I was scared to ask why he was so distant because I was afraid of the answer, so I decided to be oblivious to it. To completely ignore the sick feeling I had in my stomach when I looked into his eyes.

"You should rest" he said trying to excuse himself out. I looked at him confused, he always used to stay with me. To protect me and watch over me.

"Why?" I asked

"Where are you going?" I continued the interrogation. He looked at me with deep eyes, solemn.

I felt my fingers tighten around his hand, afraid to let go. I didn't want to feel the emptiness I felt when he was gone. I felt cold and vulnerable. I stood still, awaiting his response, curious as to what excuse he was going to spit out.

"You need rest" he said getting up, towering over me, his shadow looming against the lightly dimmed wall. I stood in front of him, blocking his way.

"Why" I asked feeling the hurt sting my bones. He didn't look at me this time.

"Rest" he said as I felt his hand stroke my cheek a little too roughly, it didn't feel genuine. I slowly moved out of the way, not fighting back anymore. I looked down at the floor, not wanting to see him leave. The sweet scent that once danced around the room, around us, was gone. He was gone.

I slowly made my way to the bed, preparing to sleep, just as he had told me to do. I laid there, back against the mattress, staring up wide eyed. I couldn't sleep, I mean, how did you expect me to? After penny's weird and distant behavior?

Would you be able to sleep?

I laid my hands neatly on top of my chest, feeling my heart beat against my warm palms. The only sound in the room was my light breathing, and the occasional wind outside. Penny just felt so distant, it was a weird feeling I couldn't put my finger on.

I shifted onto my side, huffing in frustration. I looked towards the doorway, waiting for Penny to reappear any minute but those minutes turned into hours and I had still yet to sleep. I questioned my sanity at one point. Maybe I was too attached and he felt weird? Maybe he didn't trust me anymore? Not that I blamed him anyways.

I pulled the duvet over my cold body, but I needed more to feel warm. I needed Penny.

As if on cue, I heard the familiar shuffling of clothes and bells make their way into the room. I slowly opened my eyes and almost screamed when I realized Penny was right in my face.

"You didn't rest" he scolded as I heard multiple growls erupt in his chest. I closed my eyes shut even though I knew he had already seen me awake. I felt his body shift above my face, and I slowly opened one of my eyes. He was staring right down at me, amber eyes burning through my soul.

"I'm not tired" I said trying to ease him. He didn't say anything, he just stood above me. I sat up slowly on my elbows, looking at him.

"You're different" I said abruptly, regretting the words that slipped out of my mouth.

"You're being.. you're being I don't know, distant" I said continuing to let the words fall from my lips, not knowing when to stop. He crouched down to my level, looking at me intensely.

"You don't know what I'm being" he snapped, his words stinging against my skin. I closed my eyes, not wanting him to see the pain that flashed behind my brown eyes.

"Okay" I said softly, getting up from the bed. I began to walk out of the room, trying to leave the tense air. I heard Penny growl deeply behind me.