Chapter 18: Christmas eve

Taemin's P.O.V

"Hey, come in" I said and kissed her on the cheek.
I took her coat and hung it up.

"You already started cooking?" She asked as she entered the kitchen.
"No, but I was afraid I would mess up the chicken so I asked Key-hyung to prepare it for me."
"That was a good decision."
I laughed and started cutting the vegetables after washing them.

"Do you want to watch some TV?" I asked her as I put the noodles in a bowl full of water.
"No, I'll just watch you cook. That's entertaining enough."
I tried to look annoyed as I continues cutting the onions.
I groaned as I felt a slight pain and covered my eyes with my arms.

"Did you cut your finger?" Naeun-ah asked concerned.
"No, the onions just make my eyes sting" I complained and blinked rapidly to distract my eyes from the pain.

She laughed while I tried my best to cut the onions nicely without looking at them.

I sighed as I finally finished the last one.
I started making the broth while Naeun-ah checked her messages.
She stared at me as if she wanted to say something but kept her mouth shut.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.
"No, I'm just contemplating something."
"What is it? Maybe I can help."
"It's fine. I was invited to a party but I want to do something else." She said as she shut her phone off and put it aside.

I finished cooking as we talked about trivial things like our friends and recent events.

"I hope you like it." I said as I served the food.
We started eating and I immediately knew:
"It's a little salty" Naeun-ah giggled, "but it's good for your first try."
"Thanks" I laughed and put more rice on my spoon.

After dinner Naeun-ah was eager to clean up so she could put a little blue box on the table.
"Open it!" She said and looked at me eagerly.
I looked at the plain but elegant box. It had the name of an accessory brand on it.

"Are you proposing to me?" I joked.
"Stop joking and open it!" She said pouting and I could feel that she was getting impatient.

I finally opened it to find a silver earring in the shape of a snowflake.
"I feel like it's perfect for you." She said.
"I do too" I agreed and kissed her on the lips as a 'thank you'.

We smiled at each other after the kiss like fools.
"I still have your present" I said in a low voice.
She sat back, "Show me"

I led her to the living room where the keyboard was already waiting.

Naeun's P.O.V

That keyboard has never been here before.
He sat down and began playing a simple melody. He then played chords instead and sang the melody himself.

"I wrote the song for you but I couldn't come up with real lyrics yet" he said.
"It's okay." I said, "It's beautiful."
We both smiled again and he stood up to go to his room and returned with a giant stuffed toy in the form of a rabbit.
"Just in case you wouldn't like it, I also got you a present you can actually touch" he said with a goofy grin.
"Thanks" I laughed and took the stuffed toy, "but the song is perfect."

He laughed as well.
He looked at the clock and I followed his gaze. It was 8 P.M..
"Do you want to watch a movie?" He asked and I nodded.
He stood up and went over the shelf with their films.

"I actually need to get up early tomorrow." He said.
Yes, to visit your parents where I was hoping you would take me along.
"My recording on the 26th got pushed to the 25th but do you still want to sleep over?"
I nodded. Well, that's it for finally meeting his father who had to work last time I was there.

"What do you want to watch?" oppa asked as he went through the shelf.
"A Christmas movie! Do you have Architecture 101?"
"Yeah, we do. Do you like it?"
"I haven't watched it yet. I was reminded of t just now."
"Do you mean our 'first' meeting?"
"I guess."
"Let's watch it then" he said and smiled.

Suddenly my phone lit up: One new message from Shin Yina "Do you already have plans tomorrow?"

I wondered what she meant but decided to watch the film for now.
.
.
.
"Unni, why did it take you so long to reply?" Yina-ya complained as soon as she picked up my call.
"Mianhae. I was watching a movie just when you sent the message."
"A movie. Are you at the movies? You're outside on a busy day such as Christmas? That's dangerous, unnie!"

(A/N: I have no idea whether to write 'unni' or 'unnie'. I wrote unni in the beginning but lately I'm tempted to write unnie. I think, I'll stick to that now. Sorry if I change my mind again :3)

"I'm not at the movies" I replied but had to chuckle at her concern, "but thanks for worrying about me. I'm home. We'll, not my home. My boyfriend's home."
'Oh I see. Did he like the present?"
"Yes, he did. He liked it." I said and had to smile again when I thought about that simple kiss he gave me.
"Oh, seems like he liked it a lot. I can hear your happiness through the phone."
"As if. It was just nice. What did you want to ask anyway?"

"Ah right. There's a Christmas party tomorrow. Jaemin-sunbae said he had already invited you but you said you didn't know your plans for then yet."

"Yeah, I was actually hoping to do something with my boyfriend but he has to work tomorrow."
"That's perfect! Come to the party!"
"But isn't it a little bit strange for me to come? I'm not even in your major."
"Come on! We're short on people and I'm sure nobody will be bothered by your presence. Unnie, please do me a favor!"

"Alright, I don't have anything to do anyway. But remember, no public places. I'm not super famous or anything but still..."
"I get it. I get it. Rumors and scandals as soon as you step a foot outside. We'll eat something first and then we'll probably go to a noraebang. That's not public, right?"
"It isn't."

"Okay, then that's done. But isn't your boyfriend worried? We've been talking for quite a while now."
"No, he's taking a shower right now. Oh, I think he's done. See you tomorrow, Yina-ya."
"See you tomorrow, unnie!" She said and I knew she was waving even though I couldn't see her.

Just then oppa stepped out of the shower. His hair was still wet and he was wearing no shirt.
I looked away embarrassed although we have been going out for over a year now.
He looked up and saw me now. He immediately covered his upper body with his hands.
I had to laugh at that.
"I'm kinda embarrassed" he said.
I looked at him in the eyes, "me too."
We both smiled at each other foolishly again until oppa suddenly sneezed.
"You should dry your hair properly!" I scolded him and gave him the hair dryer I was using earlier.
"Ne Naeun-ah, just a moment" he said and went to put on a shirt before I dried his hair.