Chapter 45: someone I've known

Naeun's P.O.V

"You're so cool, unnie!" Yina-ya exclaimed excitedly as she stared at the display expectantly.

"I'm so proud to have you as my friend. You seriously look so captivating. A real beauty!" she boasted loudly watching PSY-sunbaenim's music video for the fourth time in a row.

"Don't be so loud," I warned her and looked around at the other students in the room who were all looking at us.

"I can't help it. I'm just happy to see your success," Yina-ya explained grinning. "Don't you agree, Minji-unni?"

"Yeah," Minji-shi answered less enthusiastic. "It's so amazing to have someone from Apink here."
She smiled mildly at me.

"I'm not that amazing," I responded.
"Right," Minji-shi agreed. "I have no idea why I should even be amazed."
I froze at that statement. Her usual cheerful attitude had disappeared.

I looked up to see her expression but she was smiling even wider than before.
"Maybe it's because we've met so often that I don't feel weird about having someone famous near," she explained and I simply nodded.

"As if! Naeun-unni's presence is always overwhelming! She's Apink's Son Naeun after all!" Yina-ya shouted a little too loudly again but I only laughed.

Suddenly a boy approached us. He held out a notebook and shyly asked for my signature. I signed with a smile.
Suddenly there was a second and third person asking for a signature or a photo.

I accepted it all for a while but after 5 minutes Yina-ya stopped the crowd, " Now, now. That's enough. This is Naeun-unni's precious day off after a while!"
She shooed the people away and took my hand. Meanwhile Minji-shi silently waited for us.

"By the way, unnie," Yina-ya said as we walked out of the University with Minji-shi. "Is it true you saw Jaemin-oppa off, unnie?"

"On his enlistment day?" Minji-shi asked surprised and I felt like she sounded a little hurt as well. "We asked to see him off but he refused saying he would be sent off by his hyung."

"Jaemin-oppa doesn't have a hyung," Yina-ya frowned. "Oh, did he reject Minji-unni to spend his enlistment day with Apink?" She giggled and added a small "That dork. Typical boy" while she rolled her eyes.

Minji-shi glared at me sharply. Did she by any chance...like Jaemin-ah?
However, I denied quickly, "No, I guess with hyung he meant Taemin-oppa. He sent him off and took me along."

Minji-shi's glare immediately softened but Yina-ya only found another reason to badmouth her friend," That guy would rather spend a day with celebrities than his real friends! I honestly feel offended!"

"His brother was also there!" I defended him. "And are Taemin-oppa and I not real friends just because we're singers?" I acted as if I felt offended.

"Of course not, unnie. There's no realer friend than you. You're my bestest friend!"
I laughed at her exclamation.

"Anyway, unnie, you're coming over later, right? You promised me you would watch the new episode of Knowing Brother with me!"

I nodded. Right, I promised that.
"I'll come over later. Is it alright if I bring Hayoung-ah as well? Otherwise she'll stay up holed up in her room all day playing video games."

"Sure sure. The more the merrier!"
"You have quite a lot of time to waste for a celebrity," Minji-shi remarked.
I frowned at her remark but simply explained that we had a few days off because we were going to be busy with album promotions next week.
Minji-shi only acknowledged my answer with a nod.

Had she always been that hostile?
.
.
.
"Come in, come in! It's about to start soon!" Yina-ya excitedly greeted us at the door. She pulled us inside and quickly ushered us to the couch where Minji-shi was already sitting with a bowl of popcorn.

Hayoung-ah stopped abruptly.
"Something wrong?" I asked her. She shook her head, threw me a quick smile and sat down next to Minji-shi.

As soon as we were all seated the intro started playing and the classroom set came into sight.
"Say, is Kim Heechul as handsome as he looks on TV?" Yina-ya asked Hayoung-ah.
"He is," Hayoung-ah answered. "He's seriously pretty."

"That doesn't sound like a compliment," I giggled.
"Is that even something tolaugh about?" Minji-shi remarked sharply but I had no idea what she meant.
I frowned again but decided not to pay her any attention.

We then watched Bomi-unni and me dance to 'new Face' and Yina-ya cheered loudly.
"But isn't that dance pretty easy?" Minji-shi threw a remark which felt rather insulting again.
"It's not very difficult," I admitted.
"Then there's no need to cheer so much," she said and rolled her eyes.
"That's because it's a variety show," I explained but felt my tone becoming sharper as well.

Suddenly a scene played I had hoped to be cut.
"So, Naeun-ah, how is Taeminie doing?"the Heechul-sunbae on TV asked me.
I watched myself turn away shyly but smiling.

"Shouldn't you know better?" Kang Hodong-sunbaenim saved me. "Why are you asking her about Taeminie? Isn't he from your label?"
"But do you think I text him every day?" Heechul-sunbae asked. "Didn't you do your research this time? They've been going out for more than a year!"

"Almost two years!" Namjoo-ya had felt the need to correct. At that moment I had felt like dying of embarrassment.
"He's doing well," I had stated simply.
Minji-shi scoffed at my answer. What was her problem? At the birthday party and the sleepover we got along just fine!

Minji-shi was acting weird till the end so Hayoung-ah soon faked a call from Bomi-unni to get us home.

"Thank you, Hayoung-ah. I have no idea what was wrong with her today."
"That's okay but...Did"
"What is it?" I asked

"Aside from her hostile behavior towards you...doesn't she seem kind of familiar?"
"What do you mean?"
"Like...I feel like I know her from somewhere. And not only briefly but actually well."
"From where?"

"I don't really know but it feels like someone I've known long ago. Well, maybe I'm wrong."
Hayoung-ah shrugged as we continued on our way home.