Chapter 35: see you soon

Taemin's P.O.V

Nobody talked as the guy my girlfriend had rejected and I made our way to the bowling alley.

"Jaemin-shi, what have you been up to recently?" I asked trying to relieve the awkwardness.
"I'm going to the military," he announced instead of answering my question or maybe he was answering my question.

"What?" I reacted without realizing it but tried to play it over. "How come so suddenly?"
"It's not all that suddenly. I should go before I graduate and I think it's good to go after being rejected by my first love and start a new after that."

I was about to apologize but decided to be honest instead, "I also think that's good. You will surely have another encounter in the future."

He gave me a genuine but sad smile and I returned it.
"But you know, you can't run away to the military every time a girl rejects you," I joked trying to lift the tension.
He laughed loudly making some people look at us and I was glad this place wasn't very crowded.

By the time the girls returned Jaemin was still on the floor and crying from laughing too much.
I crouched down time help him up.
"Come on, it wasn't that funny," I whispered but he shook his head.

"I've been holding back so it was necessary for me," he explained. I sighed but pat him on his back, "Take your time."

Jaemin was still slightly laughing while he stood up but didn't attract too many onlookers anymore. Instead the girls were eyeing us in wonder but Minji-shi soon exchanged that for a happy smile.
What made her smile all of the sudden?

I followed her gaze and realized she was unconsciously smiling while looking at Jaemin. Was it possible... that she liked him?

"Let's play! We have to start playing before Taemin-shi has to go the airport!" Jaemin shouted happily suddenly a lot more talkative than before.

I smiled and followed suit.
"You don't have to use a honorific by the way," I told him.
"Then should I call you 'hyung'?" he asked.
I thought about it a bit but nodded with a smile.

"You don't like being called hyung?" he asked.
"No, it's just unusual. There aren't that many people who call me hyung even when I'm older."

"You're not that old anyway," he told me.
"Are you trying to comfort me?" I joked and acted hurt.
"N-no, not at all!" he replied flustered.
"I was just joking," I explained to him and smiled lightly.
.
.
.
Naeun's P.O.V (A/N: I've written so much from her point if view recently, it's starting to feel like her story :D)

"That was fun!" Jaemin-ah said when we got into his car again.
"It sure was!" oppa agreed.
Those two had gotten awfully close while Minji-shi and I went away.

So it was really fun to hang out and play together but Minji-shi's words occupied my mind the whole time so I wasn't really able to concentrate and... have fun.
.
.
.
"Call me when you have to leave. I'll send you off if I have time!" oppa promised Jaemin-ah when he and Minji-shi got off.
"Sure, I'll text you!" Jaemin-ah promised.

"Where is he leaving to?" I asked oppa.
"He's enlisting," oppa answered casually as if it was nothing.
Well, it was actually something normal. Every boy had to enlist. And it suddenly daunted on me that this boyfriend of mine also had yet to enlist.

"Naeun-ah, what was up with you today?" oppa asked suddenly.
"W-what do you mean?" I looked at him surprised although I knew exactly what he was talking about but his gaze was directed at the street.

"Nothing at all," he answered and smiled softly. "Just call if there's anything you want to talk about."
I nodded silently.
I knew he couldn't see me but he didn't expect an answer from me anyway.

He just wanted me to know that he was always there for me no matter what. Although I obviously knew that already, I was still happy he took the time to remind me himself once in a while.

"Are you sure you can drive the car home? You're not too tired? There's still time. I can just take a taxi," oppa worried.
"Don't worry," I assured him as I my mood was rapidly improving all of a sudden. "But can you stop over there shortly? I want to drive to the airport so I can get used to the car. I haven't driven a car in a log while."

He pulled over and we quickly switched places. Then I started driving. Of course, sitting on the passenger seat was the best but sometimes I really enjoy driving myself.

Like right now. It felt strangely fulfilling to drive your boyfriend to the airport yourself. It made me feel a little proud.

We arrived at the airport too soon and we had to part reluctantly.
"I'll call you soon," oppa promised as he got off. "I hope you'll call me before that."
I nodded, "I won't make you wait."

Although he already stood on the street, he kept the door open and leaned inside again. He propped one hand on the seat as support and held onto the door frame with his other hand.

He slowly leaned forward and pressed his lips lightly on mine in a sweet kiss.
"I'll miss you. Call me whenever you want. I'll answer as soon as I can."

He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled as if he had styled my hair into a fancy updo.

"See you soon," I answered and smiled at him.
This time he got off for real.

He turned around once and waved before he disappeared through the door. I smiled and sighed as I saw the reporters following him. At least they didn't take a picture of me.