Chapter 43: lovebirds

Taemin's P.O.V

"Naeun-ah!" I ran to the other side of the field as fast as I could and squat down to see whether she had sustained any injuries.

"I'm fine," she replied curtly but didn't bother to look me in the eyes as she stood up slowly.
A red mark appeared where the ball had hit her.
"I'm so sorry, sweetie. Are you hurt?" the girl who had thrown the ball in question asked.

"It's okay," Naeun-ah said and gave a small smile to reassure her.
I tried to support Naeun-ah by holding her by her arms but she pushed me away rejectingly.
"I can walk by myself! It's not like I injured my legs!" she hissed and I sighed as I had no other choice but to step back.

I picked up the volleyball from the sand ground and gave it to the girl.
"Play without us!" I told our newfound volleyball buddies, some strangers at the beach who had invitee us to play volleyball with them, and they all nodded.

I walked over to Naeun-ah and sat down beside her while I made sure to keep a small distance between us she had built up the last few days.

"You can keep on playing. I'm fine by myself," she said gruffly without bothering to look at me.

I sighed. This was not how our vacation was supposed to look like.
"What's wrong, Naeun-ah? Please tell me what's wrong. I have thought about it. Whether it was something I did. Or whether I should let you think it through by yourself and just sit patiently. But I can't anymore. Please tell me what's wrong," I pleaded.

I tried to hold her hand which she quickly pulled back and kneeled before her in the sand to look at her but she turned her head away denying me any eye contact.

"Nothing's wrong," she stated simply.
"Please," I repeated one more time.
"There's nothing wrong. You didn't do anything!" she shouted her voice louder now attracting the attention of some people nearby.

I sighed. I stood up and dusted the sand off.
"Please tell me, Naeun-ah," I pleaded once more.
"It's! Nothing!" she repeated annoyed herself.

I couldn't hold back and finally blew up after four days.
"If I didn't do anything, tell me who did! Tell me what happened! Tell me why you're acting like this! I can't go on like this! We're going back to Korea tomorrow and then we'll both be busy and have none to no time for each other! I don't want to go back like this! Please tell what's wrong for fuck's sake!" I ranted and our volleyball friends had stopped playing watching us argue in a language they didn't understand instead.

"Whoa. Calm down, dude," one of the guys patted my shoulder as Naeun-ah began to cry.

"Hey sweetie, don't cry. What's wrong?" the girls tried to comfort her.
She buried her face in her hands and sobbed loudly.
I felt my anger fade at that. I took a deep breath and stood in front of her.

"I'm sorry, Naeun-ah. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. Iwas just really frustrated. I'm sorry I don't know how to make this work," I apologized softly and stroked her hair gently.

"No, it's not your fault! I was just really insecure and self-conscious and didn't know how to handle it. I wanted to keep my distance because I thought I would be fine by myself."

I had no idea where this concern came from but decided to reply anyway, "Why would you not be fine by yourself? Sure, it's difficult by yourself but we're in a foreign country right now. And it's not like I help you and hold your hand because I think you need my help. I do it because I want to protect you and help you even if you're fine by yourself."

I put one hand on her hand which was covering her face. "Now let me see your face," I asked for something she had denied me the last few days.

She shook her head. I took a step nearer ready to remove her hand myself. But before I could move, she had removed them herself. Instead she had quickly twined her arms around my waist and pulled me as close as possible burying her face in my stomach.

"I look ugly right now," she muffled against my shirt still sobbing.
I let it happen and reciprocated her gesture leaning a little into the touch and slowly stroking her hair.

After a few minutes had passed her sobs finally died down and she let go of my waist. I squatted down so I was face to face with her and she finally let me look her in the eyes for the first time in four days.

"Do you want to talk about this?" I asked her.
"I want to think by myself first," she decided but no longer with that stubborn tone and finally looking me in the eyes and I nodded silently accepting her decision.

"I want to be there for you," I told her and planted a soft kiss on her lips.
She smiled softly and I couldn't resist to kiss her one more time.

"Enough, lovebirds!" our volleyball friends complained and Naeun-ah and I both blushed a little at the realization that we had caused quite the scene.

"Let's play!" Naeun-ah said and stood up smiling brightly.
The others decided not to ask what had happened but instead resumed the game so we could have some more fun on our last day..

A bit short but I just felt like I didn't want to squeeze any more content into this chapter.