32. She Knows

Kara's POV

It's been a week. I've spent most of it in the lab, but I got to have Krypto with me, so it was fine. Barry, Team Flash, and most of Team Super have been working non-stop to figure out how to change the future. 

I can't sleep recently. I thought it was because of Savitar but it wasn't. Well, it wasn't completely because of Savitar. 

We have three and a half months until Savitar kills me, and I've been feeling guilty for not telling Alex. Everyday the guilt gets worse. I haven't told Barry but I am sure he figured it out because as soon as he got home today he questioned me about it. 

- Flashback -

"Kara," Barry started as he sat down next to me. "tell her. I can tell you feel guilty so tell her. Alex deserves to know anyways." 

I shook my head. "No, if I tell her now, she'll figure out that I kept it a secret from her before and she'll get mad and I don't want that." 

Barry took my face in his hands to make me look at him. "She might be mad for a while, just like Clark and Eliza were, but she'll get over it and start trying to fix this, just like the rest of us." 

I slowly nodded. "I'll think about it." 

- Present Time - 

I was sitting in the cortex with everyone else talking science about the future and past and present and all sorts of things related when Caitlin came walk up to me. 

"Hey, Kara. Are you alright?" Caitlin asked me. 

"Yeah." I lied but Caitlin gave me a look knowing. "It's nothing, I promise."

"You're lying." Caitlin crossed her arms. 

"How do you figure that?" I asked, looking down at Krypto who was laying at my feet. 

"Crinkle." She said pointing to the crinkle in my forehead. I sighed, facing defeat. 

"We have three and a half months until this happens and everyone knows...." I trailed off. 

"But Alex." Caitlin finished for me. I nodded. "Kara, I can't make this decision for you. None of us can. But if it were me, in her position, I would want to know."

I nodded but then looked around the lab. "Yeah, I get that. But I mean, look at everyone here." I said signaling to the groups of people rushing around the cortex. "Everyone here is in panic. Cisco hasn't left this lab in two weeks, except to get food. Joe and Iris are constantly visiting me at work and at home, and so is Clark. Winn and J'onn haven't stopped research on all this. And Barry.... Barry doesn't sleep. He refuses to eat because when he does sit at the kitchen table, it's with dozens of notebooks and computers. He never lets me out his sight. If everyone here is like this, how do you think Alex will react?" 

Caitlin sighed. "I get it. I mean, the part about Alex and Barry, not about nearing death. But do you really want to spend your last few months in a lab, lying to your sister, instead of spending them trying to live these moments while you still can?" 

I nodded and had made a decision. I flew out the cortex and to Alex's apartment. I knocked three times and waited. 

A minute later, Maggie opened the door. 

"Oh, hey little Danvers." She smiled. I smiled back at her. 

"Is Alex home?" I asked. Maggie nodded and let me inside. 

"I have to go to work but I'll see you two later." Maggie said walking out. I walked to the couch and sat next to Alex. 

"Hey. What's up?" She asked me. I looked down. She instantly got worried. "Kara, what's wrong?" 

"A while ago, Barry ran to the future." I started and Alex squinted her eyes. "And he saw me......die." 

Alex sat frozen, like a statue. I sat there, letting her take it in. 

"Um, how...how long until...?" Alex struggled to say the words. 

"3 and a half months." I said almost immediately. Being stuck in the lab gives you time to think, especially about how much time you have left. 

"Oh, my... and how long have you known?" Alex asked, her voice slowly becoming more angry. I looked away. She scoffed. "Long enough." 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you soon-" I started but Alex jumped off the couch interrupting me. 

"No, this isn't something you can apologize for and just think it's okay!" Alex yelled. "I had every right to know since the beginning!"

"Stop!" I started to yell. "You don't get to do this! You don't get to be angry at me for months then apologize because I don't have enough time! I'm dying! You don't get to make this about you!"

Alex stood still and could see the tears forming in my eyes. She hesitantly brought me into a hug. 

"I'm sorry." She apologized. "I shouldn't have yelled at you. It's just..." She let go of the hug and took my hands in hers. "your my sister, my little sister. I don't know what I'd do without you. I'm just...scared." 

"I am, too." I said honestly. "I haven't shown it, to anyone, but I am. I'm terrified of what could happen." 

Alex nodded and then smiled. 

"What could you possibly think of right now that could make you smile?" I asked, softly chuckling.

"Come on." Alex grabbed her coat and my hand and dragged me out the room. I had no idea where we were going, but I knew it would be alright. Everything would be alright. I hope.