75. The Flash Returns

End of June
Cisco's POV

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought maybe it was a dream, or maybe I was hallucinating. But I realized that my best friend, Barry Allen, was standing in front of me. Living, breathing. It was really him. 

"Where were you?" I asked him. 

"The Speed Force. I don't know why I was there, or why I was able to get out now. All I know is that I need to see Kara. Where is she?" He asked me. I smirked to myself. I should have known the first person he'd want to see would be Kara. 

"She's at her place." I could tell he was about to run to her, but I stopped him. "Barr, she's being having a hard time since you left. Maybe I should call her, tell her to meet me here."

"Okay, yeah, you're right." He nodded and then looked to me, confused. "How long have I been gone?" 

I hesitated before responding. "Two months."

He seemed taken back by what I had just said. I could tell the only thing running through his mind at the moment was how Kara survived two months without him? Or how she was doing? I could tell he felt guilty for leaving. 

"Barr, I know now isn't the time, but do you have your speed back?" I finally asked the question that was on my mind since the moment I saw him. 

"Yeah. It's back. And I feel fine. I feel faster, even." He said, smiling for the first time since he got back. 

"We should run some tests to make sure everything is okay." I said and he nodded, quickly adding afterwards. 

"After I see Kara." 

Kara's POV

I couldn't believe I finally snapped. I was waiting for the day that it happened, if I'm honest. It's been two months since he left and I've been bottling my feelings up for too long. I had stopped crying and now we just stood in my kitchen, his arms wrapped around me tightly. For the first time in two months, I was really okay. I was okay with being a little broken. I was okay with being alone. I was okay with him being gone now, because now he is safe and I know I won't have to endure this kind of pain again. 

That's when my phone decided to ring. I groaned, pulling away from my cousin. I looked at him. 

"Go ahead. Answer it. I should be getting back to Lois right about now. I promised her I wouldn't be gone long." He explained to me and I nodded, watching him take off into the sky. I turned back to my still ringing phone and picked it up. 

"Cisco? What's up?" I asked him, casually. 

"I need you to get to STAR Labs, now." He said in a stern voice. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Why, what's going on that is so urgent?" 

"Kara, just get to STAR Labs." He responded, and then quickly added afterwards. "Barry is here." 

Everything was frozen in that moment. Nothing made sense. How was he at STAR Labs? How was he alive? Why would he come back right after I had coped with his disappearance? I hung up the phone, taking a deep breath. 

'It isn't real. It's not true. He's not back. He's gone. There is no bringing him back from the dead.' She repeated in her head over and over. She finally got the courage to fly to STAR Labs after a few minutes. When she got there, Caitlin, Ralph, Iris, Eddie, Joe, and Cisco were waiting for her. Caitlin gave her a smile and showed her to another room. 

That's when she was faced with the man she had lost. The man she had loved more than anything. The man she didn't want to accept was dead. But he wasn't dead, he was alive and standing in front of her. 

It was silent, but she didn't mind this kind of silence anymore. He ran forward and engulfed her in his arms, pulling her so close to his chest, she could feel his heartbeat. She hugged back and buried her face into his neck. 

Barry's POV

Kara Danvers, soon to be Allen. She was here, in his arms, just as he had remembered. But the only problem was, she wasn't hugging back as hard as he had imagined. She seemed to hug him like she saw him yesterday, not like it had been two months. He let go and pulled back slightly. 

"How's the Girl of Steel?" I asked her playfully. 

"She's good." She responded. She would usually respond with a playful comment, where was her childlike humor now?

"Two months, huh? How'd you ever survive without me?" I continued on, playfully, hoping she would join in. 

"I didn't really. But it's fine now. Now you're here." She responded. The smile she wore didn't seem as genuine as it could have been. Where was the Kara Danvers I remembered? Surely, she couldn't have changed that much. 

"I'm sorry for not listening to you before. When you told me not to go through with it. You said we could get through it, figure it out together, but I didn't listen. I'm sorry for leaving you." I apologized to her and she shook her head. 

"You did what any superhero determined to protect his city would. I would have done the same if I had lost my powers. We're wired to care for those who can't care for themselves. That's who we are." She said, smiling back at me, but it was still the fake smile. 

"Are you okay? You don't seem like you." I asked her. 

"Well, it's been two months, Barry. None of us are the same as you remember." She shot back at me and I flinched slightly, taken back by her tone. 

"Okay. I get that. Sorry." 

Kara's POV
Later that evening...

We walked into our apartment together. I put my things down by the door, taking off my coat and hanging it up. 

"The place looks good." He said and I sighed. 

"Yeah. Two months is a lot of time to do a whole lot of cleaning." He turned to face me. 

"Can we talk?" He asked, motioning to the couch as he sat down. I sat down next to him. "What's up with you? You've been different since I got back. I expected you to be a lot happier that I wasn't dead. And I know it's been two months, but no amount of time would have changed how happy I would have been to see you again."

I sighed and looked down at me feet. "I'm sorry." I said just above a whisper. "I'm so happy you are back. That you are sitting in front of me." He said silent, waiting for me to continue. "But when Cisco called and told me you were at STAR Labs, I was hoping it was a trick. I was hoping you were dead - because it would be easier for me to put you behind me, than to face the pain I went through all over again."

"You won't have to." He said, taking my hands in his. "I'm not going anywhere. Not again. I've learned my lesson. I'm here forever, you can't get rid of me that easily."

I chuckled at his banter and I looked him in the eyes. He reached up and wiped a tear from my cheek. My kissed me on the forehead and pulled me in closer to him. We sat there, in silence, for as long as I can remember. In that time, we accepted each other after all the time we spent apart. I still loved him, I always would. I knew we could get past this. 

A/N:

I know, it's sad. I'm sorry, but at the same time, I'm not sorry at all. I wanted their reunion to be a little messy and a little sad and this is what I came up with. I wanted to use the line from Once Upon A Time. If you know what line it was, comment it below. 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Our babies are reunited!! Yay! They are still getting married, by the way, if you were wondering. They didn't call it off, it is still on the same date as before. Nothing with that is changing. I made sure that nothing for that is changed. 

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you thought about this chapter in the comments! 

xoxo, superflashfann

76. Couples Therapy | Beginning of July | Barry and Kara attempt to work through their issues by going to couples therapy. Alex and Sara make a decision that will affect both of them for the rest of their lives.