ONE

You

I was never fond of the cafeteria. It was basically a room with tables and a place for obnoxious teenagers to be, well, obnoxious. Not only that, if you weren't  too well known, you couldn't find a place to sit to save your life. I didn't have to deal with it too much though because I don't even eat my lunch there. I ate lunch at the side of the school. It was quiet and calming compared to the dramatic room they call a cafeteria.

On my way over there, I stopped and saw Jared and Evan facing to who I assumed was Connor Murphy. He had quite the reputation for being the "stoned school shooter."

"Hey Connor, loving the new hair length! Very school shooter chic." Jared commented. Connor shot him a glare as he said that. Neither seemed to notice I was there.

"I was kidding, it was a joke." He said again. I cringed a little. Without thinking, a sentence randomly rolled off my tongue.

"That joke wasn't very funny. Fuck off, Jared." I blurted out. The three stared at me in shock. "Yea, was here the whole time." I said as I walked closer to them.

"Y/N, I thought you had a sense of humor."

"I don't go around telling people they look like a school shooter." I crossed my arms.

Jared walked away in disbelief, mumbling something along the lines of "freak" under his breath. Evan scurried off in the opposite direction. I turned to Connor.

"He can be a total ass," I said as I dropped my arms by my side, "Connor, right?"

"Yea," he replied. He kept his head down and stared at his dirty, brown boots.

We stood in silence for a couple seconds before I finally spoke. "So uh, Jared is most likely going to be in the cafeteria, so wanna go somewhere else?" I expected him to say no, but he didn't. "I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to."

"Why are you asking me?" Connor asked as he lifted his head. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well it's just, I dunno, the cafeteria isn't my favorite place. You don't seem to be the type of person who would like being there I guess."

It was his turn to shrug his shoulders, "Okay, where?"

I felt a smile creep on to my face, "Follow me."

*******

When I pushed open the door, Connor and I were hit with fresh air. The grass was almost neatly cut and small pebbles could be heard with every step.

"It's better than the cafeteria, at least that's what I think," I said sitting down against the brick building. Going here instead of the cafeteria was something I always look forward to. When I looked over at Connor, he was just standing against the wall with one foot up against it. He seemed lost in thought until he finally asked, "Do you come here a lot?"

"All the time since freshmen year." I replied after I bit my apple. "Don't tell anyone okay?"

"Not a soul." Connor replied. He just stood there stiffly and he didn't seem to have a lunch.
Time passed and we didn't talk a lot. I just paid attention to my lunch.
Quickly, I checked my phone for the time. "Hey, we should start heading back to class." I said as I stood up and brushed off some dust.

I started for the door and then turned around, "Aren't you coming?" I asked Connor. He didn't move from his spot.

"Nope. Now that I know of this place, I plan on staying here for the rest of the day."

"But the teachers will notice if you're gone."

"Are you sure about that?" He asked, "I'm invisible to people Y/N, they won't notice."

I thought about it. "I guess I'm invisible too." I said. "No one's ever stopped me from going here for lunch."

Connor chuckled lightly, "Oh the perks of not being seen." There was sarcasm in his voice.

"I'm still going to class." I explained. "Seeya."

"Bye." He replied with a dull tone. I could hear the door shut behind me and the echo of my footsteps rang in my ear.

Connor doesn't seem too bad. I don't strike up conversations much, but he was easy to talk to. I remembered my dad saying "Make some friends this year" and planning to not do that because I didn't interact a lot with anyone at school.

Maybe giving someone like Connor a chance won't be a bad idea.

hi yes hello new story WOO.
i actually got into dear evan hansen like four months ago and lemme tell you, it's amazing.

ughghghghhhsjcjsikxoskd the first chapter i write always sucks but yknow what it's fiNe.

once again, gonna try to keep connor in character throughout the story as much as i can.

hope you enjoyed :))