FORTY-SEVEN

You

Late into the night full of entertainment, the four of us gathered in the living room. With a bowl of cookies and another with popcorn on the table, the four of us got comfortable on a large (and rather expensive) couch.

Earlier, Zoe had come up with the idea to build a blanket and pillow fort. That idea, well, it didn't happen. It actually ended up with all of us crushed beneath a pile of countless blankets and pillows, dying of laughter.

Now since Connor and Zoe couldn't choose which Conjuring film they wanted to start with first, they decided they should just watch the whole series of movies.
And I was in the middle of them just wondering: Why?

A roar of thunder erupted from outside and I glanced at the window.

Awesome, it was storming.
Great.

Then thought, I already stay up all night being stupid and reading scary legends and conspiracy theories. This can't be any different.

But not even thirty minutes into the damn movie, I clung to Connor like a koala in a tree.

Honestly, he was tall enough to be one.

"Y/N, are you.. good?" He asked, his voice concerning but his eyes still on the screen.

"I- yea, sure."

"Y/N."

"Yea Connor?"

"Your fingernails are digging into my arm."

"Oh shit, sorry," I gasped guiltily. I yanked my hand away as he snickered. I didn't realize how long I held his arm. Hopefully, I didn't leave a mark.

Connor got up, tossing a blanket off. "I'm using the bathroom."

"Should we pause it?" Evan asked.

He turned to the screen. "Nah," he stretched and pulled the tie out of his hair that then fell over his shoulders. "This part it's boring to me."

Boring? BORING?!

"Don't die," I quickly said to him, subtly surrounding myself with my blanket.

"No promises babe," His voice was hushed as he leaned over and kissed my head before heading off to the bathroom.

Knowing him, he most likely wasn't phased by it at all. To him, a Conjuring movie probably made him roll his eyes.

I felt myself smirk as an idea popped into my head. An idea that would probably end up with Connor hating me for about ten seconds. Maybe more.

Or maybe he just wouldn't care.

It's worth a shot, I thought with the grin still on my face.

Towards the beginning of The Conjuring 2, I quickly threw myself off the couch and took Connor's black blanket. "I'll be right back," I told Zoe and Evan, dusting popcorn and cookie crumbs off of me.

They both nodded as I went off to the bathroom where Connor was. I quietly stood at the side of the door and waited, his blanket over my head and dropping down to cover the rest of my body. I heard the sink turn on and off, and the doorknob turn.

"SURPRISE!"

"HOLY FUCK-"

Throwing the blanket off, I was met with a nearly stumbling Connor who grabbed hold of the bathroom counter, knocking over a soap bar or two. He stared at me, his eyes bulging from his head. "Y/N YOU-"

"I'm sorry," I laughed gripped the blanket at my side. He wasn't impressed. "I- Oh my god I'm so sorry dude-"

Connor straightened himself and shakily wiped the sweat off his forehead. "You're an asshole," He huffed out. "Even after Annabelle?"

"I know I am, oh my god I'm sorry,"  I moved over so he could step out of the bathroom. "I didn't think that would actually scare you." I turned around to face him, but he kept his head down. I took his hand and apologized again.

"You scared the shit outta me, Y/N." Connor chuckled softly as he wrapped his arm around me.

"Didn't you just use the bathroom?" I asked jokingly.

"You being a smart-ass isn't helping," He hummed, kissing my head. I pouted as he patted my shoulder. "I forgive you though."

"Hey-"

"Ah," Connor quickly stuck his finger out and interrupted me. "Let's go finish the movie so you can be scared shitless too."

As if I wasn't already...

Yawning, I said, "Yessir," while tiredly saluting him. I earned a small subtle grin from him.

When we entered the dark living room again, all that was left was the mess that we didn't bother to clean up.

"What the..." Connor muttered, looking around.

We stood there for a second before my eyes widened. "Wait-"

"BOO!"

"Oh g-"

A set of cold hands grabbed our shoulders before Connor and I quickly spun around. Zoe and Evan stood there, gripping our shoulders with blankets over their heads and body. They're proud grins grew as we jumped.

Connor wasn't as phased, but through the dark I could see the same look he gave me. "Are you serious?"

"No, I'm Zoe," His sister replied, high-fiving Evan.

The sand-haired boy rubbed his eye. "Sorry, but I- it just, it seemed like a funny idea."

"When Y/N went over to scare Connor, we got the idea." Zoe added as she took down her blanket, yawning.

Connor, who looked about done with life, held his head, and then lifted it back up. "Right," he laughed tiredly, "That was fun and all, but I'm tired as shit. So I dunno about you, but I'm going to bed."

"We didn't show them the rooms yet," Zoe said. "We should do that."

None of us hesitated to grab our stuff and make our way upstairs. It was pretty late, and our eyelids started to feel like weights. Mine definitely did. My legs didn't even feel like walking minutes ago.

And the mess in the living room? Well, no one wanted to deal with that. Maybe in the morning, we would figure something out.

Tonight was more than enough, and it was perfect.

I smiled to myself and at the ground.

I'm a goddamn adult now.