SIXTY-THREE

You

YEARS LATER

Out of all possible scenarios, this was not how I'd be spending my weekend. No, I could've just been at the library studying for the exam next week, or finishing that fucking essay.

I told myself "just this once, step out of your comfort zone. Those things aren't even due until later. Have some fun and give yourself a break and go to that party with your roommate."

I went to the party. Honestly, it wasn't the worst, just congested with people who would get caught driving under the influence if met with a steering wheel and police officer. I didn't feel like drinking too much or getting involved, although I think I took a shot or two. The music wasn't bad, but there were people who were really into it.

However, I wouldn't willingly go again.

"'Scuse me, sorry, hey- I gotta, sorry I just have to get past you..." I hastily said to everyone else as I squeezed my way through them. All the flashing lights and thumping music didn't make my journey any easier.

When the bathroom door got closer I pushed it open and landed inside, my heart pounding against my chest along to the vibrating music. The ceiling light was blinding when I flipped the switch. The bathroom was pink themed with hints of lavender. Definitely more calm than the outside, so it was fine by me.

I got closer to the dusty mirror., arms clenching both sides of the sink, holding myself up. Across the top in a cheap, red erasable marker, words spelled out "BRITTANY'S A WHORE!"

It didn't really match what the whole bathroom was going for.

I looked around the room and found the paper towel dispenser. Grabbing a handful and drenching it in water, I scrubbed the marker off.

My eyes landed on something else in the mirror. Me.
God, what am I doing? I didn't ruin myself too much, I'll give myself that. The bags under my eyes couldn't get any deeper.

"Ugh," I groaned and hung my head down. There wasn't a window I could just crawl out of and escape like usual. I couldn't ditch my roommate either.

I took my eyes off my reflection and slid down next to the sink, pulling my knees close to my chest. Reaching into my pocket, I realized how lucky I was my phone wasn't long gone. Although the battery almost was.

Right before it died though, a notification popped up for a voicemail. From Connor. I probably didn't hear the vibrating in the first place because of the music.

There was click on the locked knob, meaning someone tried to open the door. Right when my head was about to start pounding, there was an aggressive knock against it.

I didn't need (or want) any trouble with the person outside, so I forced myself up and got it open. With a hand over her mouth, in ran my roommate Peyton,  frizzy-hair and disheveled clothing and all. She made a beeline for the toilet and hurled.

"Peyton!" I rushed over and bent down next to her. Her dark hand reached for the flush and she raised her head.

"Whyyy.. was the bathroom locked..?" She asked, words slurred with drool running down her chin. Yea, drunk as all hell.

"Oh, that- that was me. I'm sorry," I apologized, scratching the back of my neck.

Peyton leaned against the wall, groaning. "My head hurts..."

I let out a breath and said, "Come on, we're going back."

"But I was- I was having funnn..."

"Your head hurts,"