FORTY

Connor

"AHH-"

I smirked as the girl flew down into the water, her splashes making it go in every direction. As she shot back up to the glistening surface, she met my eyes with a glare. "Are you fucking serious?" Y/N coughed, breathing heavily. "Oh geez, it's cold.."

"Vengeance truly is sweet!" I dramatically exclaimed while throwing my arms up.

"Oh come on Connor, how did you not expect me to push you in?"

I turned my head to the side slightly, trying to not laugh. "That's wha-"

A large splash of water cut me off by hitting the side of my face. In the background, Y/N yelled, "Okay, we get it, Michael Scott!" and then proceeded to splash more in my direction.

I playfully hit water back at her, and soon it turned into a childish splashing war.
The sound of immature laughter, chlorine-filled water hitting our skin, the sky being nice to us and letting the moon shine brightly, it's almost like it wasn't real. But it was.

It was definitely real.

Y/N sighed as she looked up at the sky. "Why the hell are we actually ten-year-olds?"

I snorted, imagining younger versions of me and Y/N sneaking into pools.
"If I was ten years old, I probably wouldn't even be hanging out with you."

She blinked and tilted her head towards me. "'Excuse me?"

"Yea, Y/N, because of cooties," I explained rather dramatically.

"Holy shit," she sighed, being almost as dramatic as me. "Not cooties!"

I rolled my eyes. "Yea yea, I was one of those kids."

"Were you now?" Y/N chuckled. "Aw man, I don't know why but I still remember when you laughed so hard that strawberry milk came out of your nose!"

Looking down a little, I didn't know if I wanted to nervously laugh at the grade school memory. I simply nodded, with the question 'Was that the last time I've laughed so hard?' running through my mind. When my eyes moved up,
Y/N bit her lip. "I'm sorry," She nervously apologized, "That probably wasn't the greatest for you."

Brushing it off and shaking my head, I said, "It's fine. Really. I... You know what? Even grade school wasn't the greatest for me so it's fine."

It certainly was easier, though...

"Hey-"

"At least I have a reason to not drink strawberry milk. That shit's disgusting." I cut her off as she gave me a sympathetic look. "Just- just don't worry about it."

Y/N just gave me a curt nod, but the thought probably still lingered judging by her expression. She then glanced back up at the dark sky that now only had a few stars twinkling. She leaned back and allowed herself to fall and float on her back. "This is nice.." I heard her sigh. The light reflected off her eyes that were glued to the sky.
I followed her actions and let my arms float freely beside me, unlike her who was resting her hands on her bare stomach.

Maybe my once-a-week swimming lessons did pay off.

My eyes fluttered shut for a moment before I heard some splashing, and then nothing. I got up and landed back on my feet before looking around.
"Y/N.."

Wait..

"Y/N..?"

Please don't tell me..

"Y/N!?"

"I'M HERE!"

Just before my breathing got any quicker, water erupted from behind me and she wrapped her arms around my shoulders.
"Y/N Holy shit!" I nearly screamed.

"ONWARD PEASANT!" Y/N exclaimed as she triumphantly pumped a fist into the air.

I gripped her arm that was still wrapped around me. "I- Geez, okay.." I began trudging through the pool water, but then I stopped. "Did you just call me a damn peasant?"

"...Nope!" I could almost feel her smirk before she lept off my back and into the water that splashed me afterwards.

With a sly grin on my face, I quickly dove and swam after her. She giggled playfully as I grabbed her arm and pulled her into an embrace.

"Connor nooo!" Y/N laughed, trying to face me.

I kissed her forehead, still not even hiding a smile. "Connor yes."

As we leaned in for another kiss, there was a sound of a door closing and chatter from the other side of the gate.
Y/N turned around, hearing it too.

"How long were we here?" I asked as we made our way to the nearest metal latter leading out of the pool.

"A while, definitely." She grunted, pulling herself from the water.

Our voices turned into whispers as we stealthily neared the entrance and exit gate with our bundled up clothes and phones. Luckily, I parked almost right in front of the place, so we quickly got in my car. After messily putting most of our clothes back on, I drove quickly to a different parking spot, where it was darker. We watched as two men who were probably workers entered the pool, probably too busy to suspect anything.

"It's almost 11:30," Y/N stated as she checked her phone. She adjusted part of her now wrinkled up prom outfit. "That was fun, though." She smiled, shivering a little.

"Hold on," I turned around to the backseat. After shuffling and rummaging through some clothes and other stuff, I pulled out a large and thick hoodie. "Here."

Y/N's eyes landed on the article of clothing as I held it out. "Oh come on, you can take it. I brought it for you."

She held it in her lap and ran her hand over the material. "You- This was in your car?"

"Well that night you seemed to like it a lot so I thought I'd just lend you it or something."

Her smile grew, "Are you serious?"

"Yea, so you can finally relate to those 'when your boyfriend gives you his sweater' memes or some shit." I shrugged as I buttoned up my shirt. "It never really fit me right, anyway."

At that point the gray hoodie was already slid over Y/N and she began fiddling with the sleeves. "Thanks Connor..." she said softly.

"Aren't you hot in that?" I asked as I started the car, knowing that she probably was.

"No, not really."

I began to back out of the parking lot, silently wishing there was a closer exit.

What the fuck kind of parking lot is this!?

"You look like a marshmallow." I simply stated with a small chuckle.

"Well," She began as she pulled out her phone, acting as casual as possible. "I'm your marshmallow."

Holy-

"Shit!" Y/N suddenly gasped loudly just as my cheeks turned as red as a damn
firetruck. She turned to me, not paying attention to my face.

"Inevertoldmy-"

"Okay, speak up and more slowly dude." I told her.

"You're gonna laugh!"

"What is it?"

After Y/N let out a long distressed sigh, she uncovered her mouth and said, "I never told my dad I'd be out late."