FIFTY-FOUR

Connor

It's where I could escape to. I didn't know when I would see it again.

Throwing the old door open with a creak, we quickly stepped inside the old building away from the rain. "Watch your step," I told Y/N as she almost tripped. I remembered how that one step used to get me when I least expected it. That one step could set me off just as much if I wanted to get high.

"It's dark," Y/N pulled her hands closer to her chest, looking around curiously.

I felt my sweater pockets for the matchbox I had dropped in. "Do you have your phone with you?" I asked as I struck a match and turned to her, holding it in front of her face.

"I think so," She reached into her pocket. "I don't have much battery left." Y/N turned on the flashlight feature on her device and held it out in front of her. "Holy shit.."

The place was the same as it was the last time I left it. There were more vines and moss, not that it mattered since everything seemed ancient. Some broken trinkets were scattered around, and I was surprised to see almost no bugs picking on whatever was left.

"So, uh.." Y/N began to walk around, attempting a fixed gaze on everything.

"This is kinda, like, my own spot. Like yours under your window or at the side of the school." I explained. I slowly hovered my lit match around the area and regretted not bringing a flashlight. "I know it's probably so fucking gross and old and shit, but it's something."

"Well still, it's cool and mysterious." Her voice trailed off.

Y/N's attention was on basically every nook, cranny, vine, and cracked design. She glanced back at me and tilted her head as I began to speak. "I thought you'd think this place is stupid or something."

"Not really, it looks cool. You can do like photo shoots and stuff here."

"Well, I just mostly come here to get high and get away from my parents."

"I know you, I figured."

I chuckled and smirked, "Come on, this isn't the only room."

We further explored the place, starting with the opening leading to another room. At this point, the layout of it was practically implanted in my mind. They were all in the same condition.

Y/N paused in front of graffiti art that's probably been there for god knows how long. "Did you do that?" She asked.

I snorted. "I wish. I'm not talented enough."

Pointing her finger at me, she quickly said, "Hey! Don't say that. You could totally do that if you try."

"You're a great confidence booster." I laughed as I took her hand in mine.

I lit another match as wooden floorboards suddenly creaked and she jumped back near me. At the same time, thunder outside roared and lightning flashed through the broken windows of the place.

"Shit Y/N-"

"Sorry!" Her soft hand's grip was tightened. "I bet that happens a lot."

"You get used to it."
I sighed as I took out a cigarette and used the burning match to light one. Most of the house was wooden, I know, but I was still extra careful.

"So why'd you take me here? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's cool as fuck." Y/N giggled as she admired the vines that surrounded the other graffiti art that was familiar to me.

I shrugged, noticing her gleaming eyes. "I just don't know when I'll see this again. Sure, I didn't have a lot of memories here because most of the time I got high as a kite, but I'm leaving for college soon. There probably won't be any place of my own to escape to."