FORTY-TWO

Connor

A- was what that paper read.

And that girl just couldn't stop being excited about that damn grade. Yea, it was annoying as crap, and honestly it shouldn't be a surprise for her, but I guess seeing her happy about something as small and stupid as an A- grade on our project kinda made me feel a little good.

God, that feeling is weird.

"We should celebrate." Y/N suggested while pointing at me.

"Seriously Y/N?" I asked, rubbing my head.

"Yes seriously, Connor! Just- just let me be extra right now."

Sighing, I looked around aimlessly around our spot, still wondering how the hell we got a good grade if I worked on it with her. I was sure even breathing around the project would jinx it.

"I'm just being extra," Y/N said, laughing nervously and noticing my expression. "We don't really have to do anything."

After a while, I stood up and turned to her before opening the door leading back inside the building. "You coming?"

"What?"

"Look, I know you probably don't wanna be seen with me and shit-"

Y/N looked taken aback. I never I didn't want to be seen with you!" She stood up and messily got her stuff together, not bothering to brush the dust off her clothes. "I'm pretty sure I would wanna be seen with the person who helped get us an A on our project."

Now I was definitely taken aback.

Helped?

Why the crap did my chest tighten?

I sighed again, this time with a tiny smile on my face. "Come on."

"What?"

"We have to celebrate, don't we?"

•••

So maybe my soul almost left my body as I quickly pushed myself off the bed and underneath it. I couldn't tell what Y/N's expression was, but it was probably priceless. Her bed wasn't that low, but I was still shocked that I could slide under it, especially so quickly.

"Dad!" She almost screamed as she made her way to where he was, startled. "What the- can you knock?"

He quickly apologized. "I heard a noise, what's going on?"

"Something just fell, and I'm talking to myself."

What the fuck kind of excuse is that? I wanted to ask as I silently chuckled.

As I scooted further underneath, my foot hit a box that rested at the foot of the bed. Their conversation came to a halt.

Shit shit shit shit-

"Alright," Y/N's dad said, luckily ignoring the noise.
Turning my head to face the two pairs of feet next to the bed, I kept my breath silent. Their conversation passed, with Y/N quickly making excuses. The other pair of feet disappeared after the door shut.

The bed shifted, and Y/N's head peaked out from above it. She smirked. "That was close." As she got up, she held out her hand.

"No shit," I replied in a hushed voice once again, taking her hand and sliding out from under there.

"Good thing we weren't doing anything-"

"Hey now," I stopped her with a chuckle as I dusted myself off. "Might wanna clean that dirty mind of yours in the shower."

"Honestly you're right," Y/N snorted with a grin. She stepped over to where her dresser was, opening random drawers and shuffling through random clothing.

"Anyway, like I said, I have questions."

"What's up?"

"What's up with the ladder?"

With her arms full with clothing and a towel, Y/N looked over her shoulder. "Okay," she paused, "I think you're gonna be the only one who knows about this."

"Wow," I nodded, "That makes me feel special."

Smiling, she explained, "It's not that interesting, really. Back when I was younger, seven maybe, my dad's friend had to fix my window because part of it was broken. So then.. I guess he forgot it because he left it there and never came back for it. I don't know, Dad barely, maybe never, noticed." Y/N ended the little anecdote with a shrug and continued to shuffle through her drawers. "Geez, I'm a mess..."

"It's probably not the smartest idea to leave a ladder in front of a seven-year-old's window." I chuckled, shoving my hands in my damp dress pant pockets.

"Exactly." Y/N turned around again, "However it kinda came to use. Whenever uh, my parents argue and stuff, I would climb the ladder down to the sound of the house. Obviously the sound would never completely be blocked out. You know the playlist I showed you that one time? I would listen to some stuff from that out there." Her grip tightened on the things she was holding, and her tone was uncomfortable. At the same time, she looked like she wanted to say something else about that ladder. "So when I found about the side of the school, I felt.. I dunno, relief? It's weird, I know."

I wanted so badly to ask about it, and try to understand more, but I nodded and said, "It's probably something you're comfortable with."

"Maybe."

There was a long and empty pause. Before we spoke again, doors opened and closed from outside the room, and we heard her dad pass by. Once he was hopefully in a different room, Y/N looked to me.
I scratched my neck, "I should probably get going."

"Oh yea,"

"It's getting late and stuff so.."

"No, I get it." Y/N smiled and stepped closer to me. "Sorry about the bed thing."

Shrugging as I glanced back at the bed. "It's fine. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"No, tomorrow I'm flying to Neptune." Y/N said sarcastically, giggling a little.

"Oh shut up."

It's almost like she never talked about or mentioned the window and ladder story.

After a small and light kiss and hug, I made my way back out of the window and outside. Y/N leaned against the window frame. "See ya!"

"Love you!"

Her smile grew. "Love you too."
She waved, and I waved back as I walked back to my car, carefully making sure the lights in the living room weren't on at the front.

I've done my part on sneaking out, so even if they were on, it wouldn't be that much of a problem.

I started the engine, kinda wishing this night would never end.
I guess nights like these where I don't have to worry or get high are the best ones.