FORTY-ONE

You

"Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.." My voice came out muffled as I covered half my face with the loose hoodie sleeves. "I'm dead. I'm fucking dead."

Connor, who was probably about to- wait no- HE WAS cracking up, struggled to control himself as he stopped at a red light. "Y/N holy shit, are you serious?!" He asked, laughter still laced in his tone.

"Dude!" I returned my face to the sleeved that covered my hands. "Yea okay, I'm a goody two shoes.."

"It's eleven-fucking-thirty!" He cackled in return, pushing his hair back. "Y/N oh my god you kill me sometimes."

I crossed my arms and raised my shoulders like a stubborn toddler. "Yea, I'm a goody two shoes marshmallow." I huffed.

"That is exactly what you are."

Throwing my head back and groaning when it hit the headrest, I tightened my grip on the hoodie sleeves. "I am never gonna hear the end of it from him." I shook my head, batting an eye to Connor.

"You're not gonna die, Y/N." He said. "Staying out late? Pffft, Oh please. That is nothing."

Right, I'm talking to Connor Murphy here.

I laughed, not really at him but at my dramatic self. "Well excuse me for not being a criminal. Although, I did say that I, and still do, cross the road without looking both ways."

He let out a hearty and at the same time sarcastic laugh. "Ha! How rebellious."

"Right?"

As Connor turned another corner, I reached into the back and grabbed my shoes that I remembered. "Gave up on going barefoot?" he teased. "Did you get a splinter and tried not to complain?"

Before I had the chance to at least come up with something witty to throw back at him, we stopped the car only near the house so it didn't look suspicious. It looked like some of the lights were still on. I took a breath as I gathered my stuff.

"You are so fucking dramatic." Connor snorted as he began to open his car door.

"Wait-" Ignoring his comment, I stopped him. "If you wanna stay, go through my bedroom window. It's the very first one. There's an expandable ladder underneath it, so climb it, open the window, and just wait in my room. It's unlocked."

"Okay," He gave me a confused stare. I did notice that it sounded like something out of a very cliche teen movie. "I have questions.."

"I'll talk to you in my room. And try not to be loud!" I explained as I got out of the car, cringing as my foot stepped on the pebbly ground. Connor soon rushed to where my window was.

I ran up to the front door, and it opened right before I was able to wrap my hand around the knob. My father met me with an expression that probably had multiple meanings.

"Y/N M/N L/N,"

Ah shit! Full name...

I let out a small sigh and looked up after I stepped inside. "Dad, I- listen, I'm sorry and just let me explain."

His voice was noticeably raised. "Explain that you're barefoot, you're clothes are all ruffled up, smell like chlorine, and you're wearing someone else's hoodie!"

My dad shut the door louder than usual.

I anxiously ran my fingers through my hair. It wasn't that I never got in trouble, I did. It was just that I wasn't too used to it.

"Just listen," I began, keeping myself from shaking.

'Calm you're dramatic ass down. You're technically an adult now so calm the fuck down.' Is what Connor would most likely say. Or anyone, really.

"The prom went to shit, alright!? There was a blackout and stuff and all that." I explained as I dropped my shoes at the bottom of the stairs.

He crossed his arms. "So instead of coming home, you did what?"

"Nothing bad really. I went swimming with Connor. We went to prom together but after the blackout, we went to the pool. It was open so just don't worry about it.."

Dad shook his head. "Y/N you could've gotten hurt! Or caught! Or even gotten involved with the police!"

"But we didn't, Dad!" I tugged on the big gray hoodie wrapped around me. "This is Connor's hoodie, he let be borrow it. I'm barefoot because I wanted to be." I tried to get through this quickly since Connor was waiting. I was also waiting to shower. My skin started to irritate me because of the chlorine.

He exhaustedly rubbed his forehead, letting silence fill the atmosphere. "I'm sorry." I apologized as he said nothing in return. "I'm here now anyway, so we don't have to worry about it."

"You're here now but you could've gotten into trouble!"

"When have I ever gotten into big trouble!?"
...is what I would've asked if I didn't know he'd probably answer.

"Yea, I- Okay."

Glancing back at me, he finally motioned upstairs. "Just promise me you won't do any stuff that's risky like that."

Smiling slightly, I joked, "I'm practically an adult, so no promises."

My dad just gave me raised eyebrows before rubbing the back of his neck and motioning upstairs. "Just go shower and head to bed."
Not saying anything else, I nodded and made my way up the steps, sweeping my shoes that I left back in my hands.

I swung my door open. Connor, who sat at the side of my bed, turned around when he saw me. I let the shoes in my hands drop near my desk after I shut my door.

"Are you grounded for life now?" He asked quietly with a smirk.

"Shush," I plopped down next to him.

"So how does it feel to be a rebel?"

Chuckling and staring lovingly at him, I pushed some of his hair back.
"Let's fucking rob a bank next, okay?"

"Holy shit-" His hushed voice was almost raised.

I shushed him, letting him know my dad is just downstairs.
"I love you, Connor." I finally said as I hung my arm around his neck.

Connor took my hand. "A terrible decision really-"

"Con-" I whispered loudly before he cut me off, slamming his lips onto mine. Afterward, we both quickly pulled away and took some breaths.

"Love you too." Connor purred before leaning in again. He was probably almost an inch away from me before we heard the doorknob turn.