NINETEEN

You

It turns out I've only missed two days, but it felt like forever since I've heard a lecture. Since I was starting to feel better, I decided to study for the exam we were supposed to have before the end of the week. It was my dad's day off work too, so he stayed and took care of me and even attempted to make tacos. He set the tray with them down on the living room table and helped himself to one. "Eat up." He said tiredly as he sunk down in his chair.

"You didn't have to.."

"I just wanted to try something new." He smiled. He switched on the TV and reclined in his chair.

We enjoyed our food and I went back to hurrying my nose in the textbook that Alana dropped off the day before. I was in my room since the TV was a bit loud, and I wasn't gonna take that away from my dad on his day off.

Jumping a bit as my phone rang, I quickly slammed the textbook shut and answered it. "Hello?"

A tired but cheery voice answered. "Hey Y/N!"

"Zoe? How'd you-"

"Alana." Zoe quickly answered. Did that girl have every single student's contact? How the hell does she do it?

I shook it off as she kept talking. "So there's this new museum, and it has an indoor bowling alley and stuff, it's really cool. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe you, Gianna, me, and Alana could go. Like some kind of girls night out or something." She stopped herself, "Obviously you cant go this week. You're sick."

"Who said I was gonna be sick the rest of the week?"

"Oh well, I- uh.." Zoe started to stammer and then I laughed.

"I'm messing with you." I said jokingly. "Um, sure. That's sounds fun."

"I think Gianna told me about you and how you suggested she join jazz." Zoe said, "She's super nice. Her mom's a prick though, she pointed out the black marks on my jeans. So then I explained to her that  they were just black marker and I usually just draw stars on my jeans." She took a deep breath. "And you know what her pretentious little ass said?"

"Spill." I dropped the textbook beside my bed.

"Don't say that." She said as I snorted, "Anyway, she said that scribbling on clothing is not 'lady-like.'" I could hear her groan. The encounter was probably that shitty.

Zoe was about to go ham and vent but she stopped herself. "Sorry."

"She seems pleasant." I say, acting like this is the first time I'm hearing about her. Before I said something else, I could hear the faint sound of a door opening on the other end. There was some speaking, a door closing again,  and then Zoe went back to me.

"Be honest, do you think Evan likes me?" She hesitantly asked. "It sounds really silly, but Jared keeps messing with me and teasing me about it and I think it's nothing because, well, it's Jared."

I shrugged even though she couldn't see me. "I dunno, Zoe." I said honestly. No one really talks to me about this stuff, but I wanted to lay off the topic about me and Connor since it would probably be weird for Zoe. "Do you like him?"

Zoe laughed nervously again. "I dunno. I'm in the computer lab right now, and he walked in and started apologizing like he just ran over a dog."

"He does that a lot." I stated, laughing. It felt kinda odd to talk about regular stuff like crushes and gossiping with other people. I guess it's probably because I've been talking to one person more than others.

"I know." Zoe said as I heard her get up. "I have to go. I really need to review and study for the test. You're still on for the museum thing?"

"Yea, of course." I coughed. We said our goodbyes and she hung up, leaving me to listen to my dad's angry phone call. Listening led to really listening, and eventually eavesdropping.

"I'm telling you sir, this is only a..." his not-so-muffled voice trailed off, and spoke angrily again. "You people don't listen to a goddamn thing I say, do you? I- sir, I'm afraid I cannot do that."

I lifted my ear from the door and flung myself back on my bed. Sighing, I realized that my dad has never had a phone call like this. I can't remember the last time he raised his voice, especially during his call from work.

Stop thinking about it, it's literally nothing. Why the hell do you think too much? Calm down. It's normal. It's fine.

A buzz from my phone caught my attention. I scanned my eyes over the mail notification.

To: Y/N

From: Connor

Subject: my phone's dead and i only have my laptop

Dear Y/N L/N,
Today was a pretty shitty day and here's why.
So the spot's closed, and it's still cold as fuck. Alana had to tutor me and Jared for the test tomorrow. Tests suck. School sucks. This whole thing sucks. Now I'm gonna stay up all night studying for this stupid exam that I don't give twelve shits about. Why am I studying? I dunno.  Hey, Derek threatened to kill me the other day but he didn't so that was cool. I'm ranting to you because it's the only thing I can do right now. Please come to school tomorrow, I kinda sorta miss you. (i really do, actually.)

This just became cheesy as fuck.

Sincerely,
Me.

Smiling, I opened my laptop and began typing my response. My dad and the angry phone call seemed to disappear for just a short time. I thought about mentioning it, but it was probably nothing.

To: Connor

From: Y/N

Subject: yea it was pretty cheesy (I don't mind it though)

Dear Connor Murphy,
Kinda pissed because the spot's closed, but I don't think I wanna freeze to death. Yea it's cold, but the snow is nice. I'm not looking forward to the test either, but I studied just a little even though I'm sick. Hopefully the teachers will have mercy on me and have me take it on Thursday. Tests suck, I agree.  I just wanna get it over with. What I'm really looking forward to is winter break.

Just thinking about tests makes my skin crawl.  Fuck exams. Anyway, see you tomorrow Connor.

Sincerely,
Me.