SIXTY

Connor

I traveled to the side of my house and got up to my window. They weren't gonna be downstairs, but I didn't want to have to be reprimanded by parents just like the another night. That would lead to me also getting attacked by Zoe who was being woken up by said reprimanding.

As quietly as I could, I slid it open and hopped back inside. Running my fingers through my hair, I found my cigarette box near my shelf. I fumbled my fingers trying to light one while sitting near the open window.

I don't like being the cause of the fire all the time. Sometimes it's understandable, though. There's always gonna be some kind of problem at the Murphy house. And most of the time, it'll be because of me.

I absolutely enjoy it.

Once again, I was thinking myself into a bad mood. I went to that park for a reason; to get high. The alternative was just as good. Better, even.

Y/N didn't see me as some kind of problem. I wasn't some kind of puzzle people tried to frantically piece together just to hang up for some pretty decoration on the wall.

I was worried as hell though when I found her. Y/N didn't seem so broken or upset, but when I saw the sleeping medicine I panicked. What if she saw herself as the problem or a burden?
It was hard to believe she could ever think of herself like that.

She told me she wasn't going to, and that was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I was just thankful for that.

I snorted coldly, mostly at myself. There I was, jumping to conclusions in split seconds like it was timed parkour.

But the fear in her eyes after she saw my reaction... Y/N was scared for me. Another layer of burdens already on top of her piling tower.

Y/N's strong. She carried her tower, owning it. How the hell does she not collapse?

And when she does, how bad is it? I would hate to see her like that. I didn't even want to think about it.

Anyway, it looked like we were both scared.

I blew out a puff of smoke as I played connect the dots with the few stars in the sky.

The sound of the door opening downstairs was noticeable. I knew my parents were home and I was surprised they didn't notice Zoe's and someone else's whispers as they tried to softly travel up the stairs. There wasn't any scolding or anything but the second Connor Murphy steps into the household a minute late from his curfew-

I sighed, annoyed. And they wonder why I accuse them of favoritism.

Zoe was doing most of the talking, so she was probably with Evan. I assumed so since I knew that my sister would never have it in her heart to cheat on him. He treated her well.

I thought about putting out my cigarette so they wouldn't notice the odor. You know, to act somewhat considerate and decent.

Nah.

A door quietly shut from the hallway, and their giggling disappeared.

Leaning my head against the window frame, I blew out another puff of smoke. Those two reminded me of me and Y/N, sneaking into each other's houses and stuff. Then I thought back to the night she told me she liked me. It was around this time, maybe later.

I guess thinking myself into a good mood isn't so bad.

•••

We set up shop in the morning. Literally. I was woken up to help set up a couple of plastic tables in our C-shaped driveway. They weren't even that hard to set up, but Larry and Cynthia needed an excuse to get me up and moving. They were trying, at least. To them, I shouldn't be spending another summer sleeping.

I rushed back upstairs to get my box with unneeded items down on display out front. By then, Zoe had finished one sign with an arrow pointing to our house and big red letters screaming "GARAGE SALE!" Our address was printed at the bottom in sparkly gel pen.

With a grunt, I set the box down at the top of the staircase as Zoe walked right past me. Evan must've left already.
"Do we really need a big ass sign?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Why not?" My sister admired her sign with a tilted head as if examining her own greatest masterpiece. "It doesn't look that bad."

"I'm just saying, our house is already pretty damn noticeable with its big and bright red door, not to mention the tables."

She rolled her eyes, turned around, and continued downstairs. "I'm putting this up near the bus stop."

I let out a scoff and lifted the box up again. A boxing figurine laid prostrate on top of my other shit. Where it came from? It didn't come to memory. I probably got it as a gift for Christmas or birthday once upon a time.

Considering something for a few seconds, I was called downstairs.

"Hold on!" I tossed the figurine back on my bed before taking off to the front yard. I placed some things out on the tables, awkwardly trying to ignore glances from neighbors and then rushing back into the garage.

My dad stood behind an old and dusty wooden table. With knitted eyebrows and focus on price stickers, Larry spoke up. "You think we should ask Y/N and Mr. L/N if they wanna help out? Maybe Y/N could bring some of her stuff she doesn't need before she leaves. I was also thinking about asking the Harrises..."

I scratched the back of my neck. "No, I don't think so. Y/N's already leaving today."

I froze before I could make another step toward the door. The events of last night came rushing into my head and I remembered my promise.

"I'll go to the airport and meet you there before you leave, okay? Promise."

The airport was more than twenty minutes away.

I released my nails that dug into the back of my neck with widening eyes. "Dad, where are the keys to the Volvo?" My own vehicle was getting repaired and asking Zoe for permission wasn't really the first thing on my mind. It felt like time was about to work against me and speed up by a split second.

He looked at me as if I had decided to decline a million dollars.

"Why the hell do you need the keys?" Zoe's voice startled us as she ran into the garage, sign free. "Are we selling the car or something?"

I quickly turned to her. "Y/N's leaving for college today. She's going out of state and the airport's like thirty minutes away and-"

"Wait, today? Like now?"

"Yes like now!"

A jingle of keychains came from Larry and he tossed me the keys. "Tell your mother where you're going. You bring the car right back afterward. And change before you go." Since he let allowed me to go, I expected him to sound like he's ready to be rid of me. But oddly enough, he didn't. At least, not really.

"I agree, don't say goodbye in your sweaty pajamas." My sister adjusted her old Converse.

I gave her a glare. "Fuck off."

"Hey!" Larry called out as he pointed to the two of us. "Zoe's driving."

Dammit.

With a cocked eyebrow but a slightly shocked look, Zoe held out her hand. I tossed the keys over to her and she caught them effortlessly. "Come on! They're probably halfway there!"