THIRTEEN

You

Dad was pretty angry when he called me. I sat on Connor's bed while answering his parenting questions. We both tried our hardest not to crack up at his frantic calling.

"Why aren't you home? Where are you? You said you were coming home right after." He said over the phone.

"Are you even at home?" I asked.

"Y/N!"

I sighed, "Chill out, I'm at a friend's place and we're doing homework."

"You're at Connor's place?"

"Who else am I friends with?" I chuckled. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Connor smile.

"Anyway," I said as I adjusted my towel that was wrapped around my shoulders, "It's raining pretty hard." When I looked at Connor, he nodded at me. We wanted to ask my dad if I could sleep over since it was a weekend. "So, can I spend the night at his place?"

"Ask his parents." My dad then hung up. I turned to Connor, who was picking at his black nail polish.

"Did you ask your parents?" I asked as I dried my wet hair. Connor was about to answer until my phone vibrated again.

Dad: I texted Larry and he said it was alright as long as you guys don't cause any trouble.

My face lit up like a child as I read the text out to Connor.

"So as long as you don't cause any trouble." He repeated, "That should be easy for you, Miss Goody-Goody."

I cocked an eyebrow, "What's that supposed to mean? I'll have you know I can be rebellious."

"Oh really?"

"Yep." I confidently said while popping the 'p'. "Like this one time at this sampler stand, I took two of them instead of one. And I crossed the road."

"Yea?" Connor crossed his arms.

"Without looking both ways." I finished really dramatically while leaning forward.

He pursed his lips and nodded his head slowly. "Looks like you win, Y/N." He laughed lightly. He laughed that damn genuine laugh that for some reason made me feel there was butterflies in my stomach. I reached for my phone and texted my dad back.

Me: what about his mom?

Dad: You can ask her yourself.

Me: wow

"When I came in, your mom said I could stay as long as I wanted, so now you have to deal with me." I explained. "I'll just tell her once she's back."

"Where is she anyway?" Connor asked, surprisingly curious. I shrugged.

"She just said she was going to run some errands or something."

"Thought so."

I wrinkled my eyebrows, "So you're home alone like all the time? I don't think Zoe or your dad is here."

"Uh, yea." Connor replied as he got up and stretched.

Sighing, I finally say, "Alright then, I haven't been to a sleepover in a long time, what exactly do you do?"

Connor chuckled as he adjusted his short, messy bun. I smiled a little, realizing that he's kinda adorable with his hair up. Actually, "kinda" was an understatement.

"Well," he began as I snapped out of my gaze, "You know, from what I've heard, the first thing people do at a sleepover is to raid the pantry."

•••