FIFTY-TWO

Connor

Lord knows what Y/N and Zoe would've thought if they saw me and Evan struggling to kill a small group of cockroaches.

I just hoped that they would come back with that bug spray quick.

Evan stood up and sighed, "I- do you guys have like, uhm, a clear container or anything? We can just trap them under there I guess, y'know, until they come back."

Without giving his suggestion a second thought, I ordered him to stay and watch the cockroaches because two of them have already gone missing. I dug through every cabinet and drawer in the kitchen to find some kind of plastic container.

To be completely honest, I never thought I'd be screaming "KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE MOTHERFUCKING ROACHES!" At my sister's boyfriend. Then again, neither of us would've thought about killing bugs with each other.

But his expression was priceless, though!

With the small and clear plastic container in my hand, I slammed the opening over the bugs, trapping them. I remember my mom or dad trapping spiders with a bowl in my room or Zoe's while we both cowered in the corner.

It was a small stupid action that probably didn't affect anything at all, but I was proud.

"I guess we're adults now.." Evan laughed nervously. "We're trapping cockroaches and stuff."

I could tell he probably didn't have anything else to say, but I for sure didn't. All we wanted was the bug spray.

Evan held out his hand and allowed me to grab it, pulling me up and looking back at the trapped bugs. He had a guilty look in his face.

"What's next? Are we're gonna start planning our own doctor's appointments?" I chuckled sarcastically as I brushed myself off. The thought seemed to terrify Evan.

Now the living room was a little bit more of a mess, our shoes were everywhere and the table was moved again.

I scratched the back of my head. "Right, cross that off the bucket list."

"What?" Evan asked, stuffing his hands in his pajama pockets as he looked up at me.

"Trying to kill cockroaches in a summer house, duh. What else?"

"Well, we didn't necessarily "kill" them because they're still-"

There was an audible click in the front door and with a sharp creak, it swung open. There, Zoe entered the house followed by Y/N. All four of us made eye contact and their chatter immediately came to a halt.

Y/N's eyes lowered down to the carpet where the clear container stood and covered the cockroaches. "WHAT THE-"

I quickly held out my hand. "The spray."

"C-Connor-" Y/N began.

"The spray."

My sister reached into one of the bags and dug out a tall, white container that had the label screaming "BUG SPRAY" or some shit. I turned it over in my hands.

The roaches didn't stand a chance.

As she whipped her phone out and quickly typed something in, Y/N, with a trace of anxiety in her voice, asked, "Why didn't you look up how to get rid of cockroaches?" She scrolled down more, "It says to use boric acid and sugar to lure and kill them."

Sighing as I listened to her while reading the instructions, I replied quietly with. "We panicked."

"You what?" Zoe set her stuff down and helped with Y/N's.