TWENTY-FOUR

Connor

Somehow, I managed to survive the skiing trip. Once we got the last few suitcases in the trunk, we were ready to be on the road. Well, most of us were ready. Mom kept having unimportant chats with the Harrises. Of course, Dad joined in as well. We were supposed to leave the cabins an hour ago.

Zoe groaned and threw her head back on the rough cabin couch. "If Mom and Dad don't stop talking about politics, I am actually going to fucking scream." I rolled my eyes and looked back at the kitchen. It looked like they wouldn't be getting ready to go anytime soon.

"Looks like we might be staying a bit longer," I said, throwing my messenger bag over my shoulders, "I'm not putting out the fireplace." We both turned to the furnace that had cackling flames.

"Well, neither am I!" Zoe sat up.

"Maybe the stuck-up brats of Mr. and Mrs. Harris will," I scoffed and zipped up my snow-covered boots. "I'm gonna go."

"Go where?"

"I don't fucking know, Zoe," I said, exasperated. "Just text me or some shit to let me know we're leaving this stupid place."

I placed my hand on the cold doorknob as Zoe stood up. "There's a small gift shop just around the block, so it's within walking distance," she explained as she crossed her arms.

"So? I'm not getting you anything." I replied as I turned to look at her, my hand still on the doorknob.

"Don't get something for me. You should get something for Y/N, dumbass." She suggested. My eyes widened as I remembered that I wanted to get Y/N some kind of gift. It was probably one of the only things I looked forward to on the skiing trip besides the Harrises' chicken.

"Yea, thanks for reminding me I guess." I mumbled as I quickly walked out. Zoe was right about not having to walk far. The inside of the gift shop was decorated with various souvenirs. It was also warmer compared to the outside. After pacing around for a short period of time, one single item caught my attention.

On the inside of the small snowglobe stood a little heart, and snow was surrounding it, and the glass was adorned with some kind of silver lining. After I looked at it more, I realized that it played a corny love song. It was definitely cheesy, but somehow it was charming and a bit cute. Y/N would probably tease me about how corny and cheesy it was, but hopefully, she would accept it.

Fuck, what if she hates it? What if she thinks it's stupid?

An old man at the register spoke up as I gazed at the globe. "We're about to close up, kid." I took the globe and checked it out. It was pretty good timing too because right after, Zoe texted me saying it was time to leave.

•••

The sun had started to fade into the sky by the time I got to A La Mode. Y/N had said that her shift was almost over so she instructed me to meet her at the back of the building. As I walked, the snow seemed to get thinner. Once I got to the back, I scanned the area.

Maybe Y/N's still working..

"HEY!" I thought I could hear some pebbles shuffling because a figure playfully tackled me from the side. My breath hitched for a second as I nearly toppled over. Y/N, who's smile was spreading across her face, helped me up before I could fall.

"Jesus, Y/N!" I held my chest as I stared at her in shock. She just grinned innocently. "What the hell was that?" I rummaged around my messenger bag to see if the globe was still intact.

"Well, I just scared the absolute shit out of you, so that's what it was." She stated with her hands attached behind her back. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"No! No, you didn't," I assured her, looking down at my bag awkwardly.

"How was the trip?"

"Terrible and shitty like always." I groaned as I looked up back at Y/N. She chuckled. "They even asked the questions like you said." I took the globe out of my bag and held it out to her, "It was worth it, though."

"Wait, for me?" Y/N asked as she took it.

"It's really stupid, I know-"

"Connor this is adorable!" She gushed as she turned it over in her hands.

"I thought you weren't gonna like it," I shrugged as some of my anxiety melted away like snow.

Her eyes widened, "Are you serious? I fucking love this, thank you!" She gushed as she gazed at the globe again with a soft expression, and then glanced at the back door. "I actually have a little something for you too."

Y/N rushed inside and came back out with a small box. "Open it."

I took the item and stared at it and at her in shock, "You didn't have to..."

"Just open it."

When I did, a couple of memories came flooding back. The book that sat in the box was too familiar. I took it out, not knowing what to say. "You checked out that book all the time at the library back then." Y/N pointed out. It surprised me that the memory stuck with us. We could've forgotten.

"Thanks Y/N," I breathe out, "You still remember me yelling at you because I thought you were gonna spoil it?"

"Yep, but it doesn't matter. I found it and I got really excited because it was the last one at the store."

"Well hopefully this isn't some going away gift for when you might move." I sighed. I held my breath and suddenly realized what sentence just rolled of my tongue. I looked back up at Y/N who was crossing her arms and rocking back and forth on her feet.

"Shit, oh my god Y/N I'm sorry," I immediately apologized, "I-"

She uncomfortably kicked at the snow. "He said we might move, so I wouldn't really worry too much." When she looked up at me, the gleam in her eyes were somehow still there. "It's fine Connor, really."

"It's fine? I just completely reminded you that you're probably moving away."  I said, trying to hide my frustration.

It got colder with every quiet second, and both of us could feel the chilling air pressing against us. Neither of us could find words to break the silence.