TWENTY

Connor

I tilted my head that was down to face the clock. There were five more minutes until testing was over. It wasn't the end of the week yet but I'm pretty sure everyone wanted to storm out the door and not look back.

3 more minutes.

When I looked over at Y/N, she was having a staring contest with the clock. Almost everyone was. Another pencil dropped and someone laid the test flat on the teacher's desk. Y/N looked back at me and I gave her a half-smile.

1 minute.

Bags started to close and people were getting up now. I slid my messenger bag on and the teacher looked up. "There is still one more minute left, and other students are still testing." He scanned the room slowly as we all looked at him in disbelief.

"No one else is testing." One student finally said right as the bell rang. All the teacher did was laugh and clasp his hands. I was already irritated with everything and this teacher was not just about to keep us longer.

"I'm messing with you. You guys can go." He chuckled. There was some laughter but mostly groans as we left the classroom. It wasn't the final class, so not a lot of people bothered to stop in the hallway and just went to their classrooms. Y/N met me at my locker.

"So.." She began as I turned to her, "Tests are pretty fucking stressful."

"Can we not talk about testing?"

Y/N crossed her arms and chuckled, brushing her hair from the side of her face. "We're not gonna talk about testing."

"Or the Black Death." I joked while closing my locker. "What was that about, anyway?"

"I was sick and sleep deprived, okay?" Y/N defended herself. "I was just gonna ask if you wanna go somewhere after school to relax from exams. We could go see a movie or something. My dad said my car was finally fixed, so we can take that if it's okay with you."

"..Oh."

Her eyes widened, "Shit, sorry do you have plans?"

"Since when do I ever have plans?" I asked. She looked down and laughed again, but nervously this time. "Are you okay?"
Y/N quickly looked up from her gaze.

"Yea, I'm okay! Sorry, I was just thinking about other work." She reassured me.

Was it really about "other work?"

"You know you can tell me if something's wrong," I told her.

"Nothing is wrong." She said seriously, "I'm just tired."

I gulped and my voice shook, "Fucking hell, Y/N."

"What..?"

"What the fuck did I do?!" I unknowingly snapped.

"What?" Y/N asked again. Her eyes went round and I could feel my chest tightening.

"I did something, didn't I? Yea, I totally fucking did." I looked down at my shoes, refusing to see her confused expression.

"Hey.." her voice was calmer, unlike mine. "Listen to me again, nothing is wrong."

"But-"

Y/N took my stiff hand and I looked up, still clearly worried. "Connor, none of this is about you."

Looking away again, my other hand finally loosened its grip on my bag and dropped down by my side. I was worried about literally nothing. "Those test really messed with you, huh?" Y/N joked. I gazed at her reassuring face and all I could do was smile as I wrapped my hand around hers.

Classic me. I'm snapping at shit that doesn't involve me, I thought.

"Now is everything okay with you?"
Y/N asked, her voice still calm.

"Yea."

We agreed to meet in the courtyard after school and we went to our own classes. I sat down and my thoughts were drowned out by the echoing of footsteps and people talking while filing into the classroom. Some glanced at me and whispered, probably about me being around Y/N. I kept my head down and tapped on the desk anxiously. It wasn't until I heard "Please stop that tapping, Mr. Murphy." that I realized all eyes were on me. "Now answer the question."

•••

"And I shit you not Connor, he literally told me to go back and fix the answer." Y/N ranted while pressing the gas pedal at a green light. She quickly glanced at me in the passenger seat before looking back at the road. We were almost at the movie theater.

"So you know what I did after I showed him- what are you laughing at?" she giggled as she quickly looked at me again. I didn't notice I was slightly grinning and I returned to playing with one of the rings around my finger.

"You're kinda cute when you rant," I laughed as I looked up again and turned to her. "That's all." Even though her eyes were glued to the road, I could make out a little twinkle.

"You missed a turn," I said while paying attention to my ring again.

Y/N looked around, "Shit, I did?"

"Kidding." I started to chuckle.

"You're the actual worst!" She held in her laugh but I was cackling. "You're dead, Murphy."

"Oh god, I'm so scared!" I said sarcastically. Right after that, we turned into the movie theater parking lot and Y/N slammed on the breaks. I frantically held on to the side of the car door as the seat belt locked and stopped me from leaning forward. "The fuck, Y/N?!"

She smiled smugly as she unbuckled her seat belt. "Told you."

"I hate you." I said, narrowing my eyes.

"Kay then." Y/N smiled and got out of the car. We both made our way inside the theater hand in hand. As soon as we got our tickets and overpriced food, the both of us settled in our comfortable seats.

Y/N nudged my arm, "Con."

"Hm?" I turned to her.

She raised the armrest that was dividing us and scooted over closer to me. I was surprised because I didn't realize the seats did that. It didn't matter, though. "I think this is a bit more comfortable. Is this okay?" Y/N asked. Her head was almost on my shoulder.

"Yea, it's fine." I say into her ear, wrapping my arm around her shoulders as the light began to dim.

This is perfect, everything is perfect for once, I thought.