SEVENTY

Connor

I looked back to Y/N's father, awaiting what would happen next. The cliche father lecture? The explanation of rules of what you can and can't do? Straight up yelling like a drill sergeant?

Refusal of letting me marry her?

At least I know he's not gonna kill me. That part's definitely comforting.

I opened my mouth to say something.

"You know, part of me always knew that you guys were gonna end up together somehow," he stated before looking back up at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I- Excuse me?"

Chuckling, he says, "Well, I know my Y/N. She's not too quiet when she's passionate about something. She spoke about you. A lot. I bring up the topic of school, it's either homework or Connor Murphy."

I paid attention to his words as I bit my inner cheek. No mention of the spot at the side of the school.

"I'm- uh, I- I'm flattered." I stammered.

I smiled to myself as he continued.
That Y/N...

"Maybe you've noticed, but Y/N.. she was always so happy around you. Felt comfortable outside of her shell."

"I thought that was just me," I spoke. "I just felt... comfortable around her too. "Even let myself laugh around her."

I didn't actually say that last part, but it was true.

"You guys were stuck like glue. I couldn't say I was surprised when you started going out together. And.. I know for a fact I'm not a perfect dad. Of course, I would spend time with her when I could off work, and I would always be here to talk. But texts, calls, emails... they can only do so much." His voice trailed off as he looked to the staircase where Y/N had walked up.

He paused, as if he was searching his own head for words. When he spoke again, his voice cracked. "Young man, that girl means the world to me. As her father, I'm protective. That's just how it is.

He pointed to Y/N's direction, sighing.
"And... and when I walk her down the aisle and give her to you, don't let her go. You promise me."

Sitting up straighter, I nodded. "Of course, sir."

"And if you hurt her-"

"I'll never see the light of day again." He let out a soft laugh as I finished his sentence. "I wouldn't dream of it. Not Y/N, ever."

"I know. We both know that."

A short silence filled the room again as I twisted a ring on my thumb. Y/N's father seemed to be thinking again. Couldn't really blame him, his daughter's getting married.

"Go see your bride, Connor." He told me quietly with a small but almost sad smile.

Grinning, I quickly stood up and raced halfway up the staircase. I turned to him before going on.
"Thank you, sir."

"Thank you."

I continued up the stairs and my feet automatically took me to where her old bedroom was. The door was slightly open, and Y/N caught me before I had the chance to knock.

"So..?" Y/N asked as I entered the familiar room.

I began to smile as I wrapped my arms around her, planting a kiss on her head.

"Maybe we should start thinking about that wedding date," I whispered as she quickly lifted her head off my shoulder, eyes lighting up.

She replied with a chuckle. "That's a good idea,"