ELEVEN

You

I meant everything I said earlier. Connor is an enigma, and sometimes he can't even understand himself. When we hang out and talk about whatever, it doesn't matter. We're just there for each other. I love him and I care about him, but I guess I don't know either.

So here I am, sitting and thinking way too much about this whole thing. Is this really something I should be making a big deal out of? Connor said that it wasn't me and it was him. What if-

"Y/N?" Michael Mell joined me outside the principal's office. He was also picked to show the new kid around the school. "Are you okay?"

I took a breath and turned to him. "Hi. Um, yea I'm good it's just.." I sighed, "It's just stuff with me and someone else. It's not a big deal."

I could tell he didn't believe me, but he didn't push it. "Okay."

The door in front of us opened and out came the principal and a girl about my height. She had an adorable look, with her chestnut hair in a braid and round glasses. Freckles were scattered all over her pinkish face. She looked at us nervously, and we just responded with friendly smiles. The principal patted her shoulder.

"You'll be in good hands with these two. They'll show you around the building, and we'll meet back here in 45 minutes, alright?" He turned to me and Michael. "Y/N, Michael, this is Gianna. She is going to be a new junior here." Waving, she smiled awkwardly.

"Thank you sir." Her mom said. "Honey, you hear that? Be back here in 45 minutes. They'll go with you and show you where to go."

Gianna sighed and replied with a dull,
"Okay mom."

•••

We started our walk around the school. After the office, we stopped by the cafeteria.

"My mom treats me like I'm 7." The new girl sighed, "I'm sorry, I just had to let that out."

I chuckled. "No worries. My dad is like that too. You have a pretty name, by the way."

She smiled, "Thanks."

We stepped into the cafeteria and Gianna's eyes widened. "Wow, it's larger than my old one."

Michael stifled a laugh, "That's what she said."

I shot him a glare, but Gianna laughed too. "You saw an opportunity and you took it." They both snickered and I shook my head.

"Anyway," I continued, "It's just your regular cafeteria. Nothing too different from any other"

Part of me didn't know what to say. I've only eaten in this cafeteria maybe once or twice and I'm talking like a know what type of shit goes on in here.

"You can sit with me and my friends Jeremy and Christine. They're cool and they'll like you." Michael explained. Gianna nodded and looked over at me.

"What about you?" She asked, "Do you usually sit anywhere here?"

"Oh, uh, yea," I lied, "I usually just sit alone. I prefer that." Trying not to sound rude, I laughed nervously. "I'm just more comfortable that way."

She nodded and looked around more. "So how's the food here?"

Michael and I exchanged glances and we both said, "Terrible."

"Except Cookie Day, which is every Friday." I explained.

Gianna nodded again and turned to Michael. "So is Christine like, your girlfriend or something?"

I couldn't help but snort after she assumed that. Michael shot me a glare in return.

Gianna anxiously spoke, "Oh, I'm sorry.. did I say something-"

"No, you're fine!" Michael laughed a little compared to me, who was dying.

As I controlled myself, I said, "Michael Mell is as straight as a circle."

Gianna's round glasses gleamed, "Oh! Okay." She smiled. We walked out of the cafeteria and made our way around the school.

I turned to the new girl. "Most new kids get their schedules beforehand. Do you have yours?" She unfolded a piece of paper she took out of her pocket and viewed it. "Mr. Browne is my homeroom teacher."

We both nodded. We didn't have an opinion on the teacher because he was new and we didn't have him.

"So are you doing any other stuff? Like do you wanna join a club or are you interested in extracurriculars?" Michael asked as we toured around other parts of the school.

Gianna nodded. "Yea, I was thinking of doing jazz or something band related. I was told that a girl named Zoe might help me with that, unless you guys know anything about it."

"Zoe Murphy?" I asked, "She's cool. You'll like her."

She smiled and we continued on with the tour. At the end, we stopped by the lost and found station while the two adults were still talking in the office. A neatly folded gray sweater caught my eye. I picked it up and noticed 'connor' was scribbled sloppily on the tag. The staff probably just found it because it had dust and gravel on the material. Michael saw me pick up the sweater and said, "'Zat for Connor?"

"How'd you know?"

"I've seen him wear it all the time."

I nodded, not taking my eyes off the sweater. When I finally looked over, Gianna was already meeting with her mother and the principal. He motioned for us to come over.

"Well Gianna, we hope you enjoy your first day here." He smiled at both of us. "Thanks you two."

As Gianna and her mother got ready to leave, her mother took another look at me again.

"I feel like I've seen you before." She said.

"Maybe at Á La Mode, I work there and you were probably a customer." I replied, hoping my assumption was right. The mom just shook her head.

"No.." she paused and looked at me again. "Ah! I think I knew your mother in high school."

"Mom!" Gianna said sternly as she glared at her. "We should go, you're probably making her uncomf-"

"I'm just remembering something, sweety. Get in the car please."

Michael and I exchanged glances. The mother kept talking.

"Your mother was definitely something." She smiled sweetly for some reason. I nodded uncomfortably.

After minutes of her babbling about her high school experience, she finally left and I was left with Michael and the sweater. "Gianna seems nice." He finally said.

"Hard to believe she's related to that bitch." I muttered in reply as I fiddled with the sweater. As I did, a yellow sticky note flew out of the pocket and landed on the floor. When I went over to pick it up, I noticed a name scribbled down. I was told I shouldn't read private stuff, but my eyes were already glued onto it.

20 dollars by Tuesday

- Pirate

Sloppy handwriting, Pirate, Connor, drugs, my mom, everything ran through my mind. My hands shook as I tried to clutch the note and sweater. Michael's footsteps echoed as he quickly sprinted towards me. I could hear him calling my name, but I was already bolting out the door.