EIGHT

Connor

Wow.

Not gonna lie, I was a little taken aback. I don't really understand how I cured her of her boredom, but I did.

How do you respond to that? What do you reply with? How does she say one sentence that makes you weak in the knees?

"Connor..?"

"Yea?" I replied, snapping back to reality. I quickly looked over at her, "What is it?"

Y/N glanced at me and then looked back at the road. "You missed a turn."

I sighed slowly. "Dammit." I found a spot to turn around and we eventually got to the parlor. We both hopped out and walked inside. A worker, who looked like a student, greeted us.

"Hey Y/N!" The girl greeted. She adjusted her short black hair. "What are you doing here? It's not your shift." She shifted her glance over to me, "You on a date?"

Y/N laughed, "No, it's not a date. We're just hanging out." She looked over at me, "What flavor?"

"Oh, uh, anything is fine." When I used to go here with my family, I'm pretty sure I've had every single flavor here. Maybe I didn't even taste them because my scoops were drenched in chocolate syrup.

She walked over to the counter. "Anything that comes in a tub."

The worker bent down and got up again. "The only tub we have right now is vanilla bean."

"That's fine." Y/N dug out some dollars from her bag and set them on the counter. "Thanks!"

The girl behind the counter leaned over and whispered something to Y/N, and she just responded with "Oh my god Christine, shut up."

The worker chuckled as Y/N grabbed two spoons and walked out with me behind her. "Aren't we gonna eat inside?"

She shook her head. "Nope. Follow me." Y/N led me over to the back of the building and stopped in front of a ladder.

"The view's really nice. It's nighttime too, so the sky will look pretty cool."

"Yea, but are we allowed to?"

She raised her eyebrows at me, "Connor, you broke into two classrooms at school and you're worried about this?"

"Oh fuck it." I took the tub from her hands and climbed up. She followed after me and we sat down at the top. It does look nice, I thought. The moon seemed to shine brighter than it did in the classroom.

Y/N popped the top off the ice cream tub and we started to dig in. With every bite I took, I was hit with a little nostalgia.

"Who knew my best friend worked at the place I thought I would never hear about again?" I asked as I looked over at Y/N and she just smiled.

"Who knew getting stood up would lead to the most fun I've had this year?" She asked.

"Derek is just such a nice guy." I said sarcastically. Y/N chuckled.

"He probably pitied me. Who the hell has a crush on me anyway?"

At that point, I felt like the world froze. I feel like shouldn't say anything, but at the same time I need to scream.

"Uh, actually, I.. uh," I stammered, "I know someone who kinda likes you, I think." I explained. Y/N suddenly turned to me, shock was plastered all over her face.

I need to shut up

"No shit, who?" The moon seemed to make her E/C eyes shine. "How do you know? Wait, why-" she stopped asking questions for a second, "Do they say anything about me?"

"Definitely!" I replied. Her lips formed a little smile.

"I guess overheard some things. Um," I began to think. "He said that there's nothing like your smile, it's sorta subtle, and perfect, and real, and amazing. You never knew how wonderful that smile could make someone feel."

"Really?"

I nodded, "And he noticed, especially during Mr. Kane's lectures, you doodle and scribble random things on any type of writing material. Sometimes on your jeans, your sweater, or on any random pieces of paper. And- and whenever you say something stupid or witty or whatever, he finds it charming."

"Did he say anything else..?"

My eyes widened, "W-what?"

She frantically shook her head, "Nevermind, I'm sorry, I don-"

"No! I- Uh, he said other things I'm just.." I sighed and laughed a little. I told Y/N basically how I felt, but she doesn't have any idea it's me. "He thinks you're.. awesome."

"But he also said that no matter how close you are, you seem far away. He said he feels he can never reach you."

Y/N laughed a little, "He said that about me?"

"Yea." I replied. I probably messed up. She's obviously gonna ask who it is.
Y/N opened her mouth to speak and I took a bite of ice cream, anxiously waiting for the question.

"Shit what time is it?" Y/N took out her phone and looked at the time. "It's 9:42, I told my dad I'd be home at 9:30. You don't mind driving back, right?"

I shook my head, "No, it's okay." I stood up with the ice cream tub. "I'm keeping the ice cream."

Y/N grinned and stood up. "Go ahead. Let's go." We both made our way back down the latter and into the car. I started the car and began to drive as
Y/N's phone rang. She quickly answered it.

"Hi dad."

Her phone wasn't on speaker, but I could hear it a little.

"Y/N! Where are you!?" Her dad had worry in his voice.

"Relax, I'm on my way." She smiled a bit.

I heard the man sigh, "Okay, just get home soon. Did you have fun with Derek?"

Y/N's eyes widened a little, but she kept on a small smile. "No, actually, I was with Connor."

"Oh," he sounded surprised. After a slight pause, he said, "Did you still have fun?"

I kept my eyes on the road as I turned into her neighborhood. Out of the corner of my eye, Y/N looked at me. I glanced back at her as she said, "I had the time of my life."