FIFTY

Connor

(i'm not sure if this is considered a trigger warning but bugs will be mentioned in this)

It took most of my being to not stroll into the kitchen to get a second cup of coffee. I had already spilled a couple of drops of it on the cover of the book that Y/N had given me while reading, and before that I almost tripped multiple times with the full mug in my hand.

I don't think I even wanted a second cup.

Back home, when we were younger, obviously the only people that would drink coffee or any other stuff like that would be Mom and Dad. It felt odd being an adult. Soon, I won't have to deal with waiting for someone else to make their cup.

As I silently cursed at myself for nearly spilling a little bit of the drink again, the stairs creaked and Evan slowly walked down into the living room. He was loosely shaking his probably asleep left hand around.

He stared at the couch I was sitting on and the rest of the living messy room.
"What the hell did we do last night?"

I copied his action and looked around. Some of the furniture was moved, crumbs were scattered around the carpet like confetti, blankets were thrown...

Mom would've hated it.

I returned to my book. "We fucked some shit up," I extended my feet so it rested on the edge of the coffee table. "We'll probably just clean it up later. Zoe and Y/N didn't seem to mind or care. Oh yea, they left a couple minutes ago by the way."

He nodded, plopping an empty bag of chips on an armchair and placed it on the coffee table. "Oh, I-I know."

After a small moment of silence, I suggested, "Hey, we should make s'mores later tonight. I mean, we got the supplies and shit."

He simply nodded, but didn't oppose to the idea. "Yea, maybe."

It was awkward for some reason to say the least. Barely any small talk passed between us. Neither of seemed to mind, though, which was good.

I realized that I was always so used to seeing Evan with the cast wrapped around his left forearm. I was always so used to seeing some of our names written on it. When I first signed it with Y/N and Zoe, he looked pretty happy. Surprised, but happy.

Even if there weren't many names.

Still, I don't remember asking-

"How'd you break your arm?" I asked, blurting the question out. "Like, when you still had the cast and stuff."
I was definitely one for privacy, but I was somewhat curious.

At first, he just stared at me and back at his left hand resting on his lap. Shortly after, Evan cleared his throat and said quietly, "I um, fell out of a tree."

"What?"

He spoke again, sounding embarrassed and almost ashamed. "Uhm, I f-fell out of a tree."

"You fell out of a tree?" I slowly repeated again as he nodded.
"Well that is just the saddest fucking thing I've ever heard, oh my god."

A very small but most likely forced and uncomfortable smile appeared on his face. It faded quickly.

Great conversation, I said to my cringing self. Why the hell am I like this?!

Guilt pierced through me when I realized that it probably wasn't an accident.

"Sorry," I gulped, running my fingers through my hair. "Just... just curious."

Nothing came from the sandy-haired boy, but the anxious expression on his face spoke for itself.

"Evan- Are you-"

It was obvious he was focusing and worried about something else. His wide eyes were glued to something near my head.

Throwing my book down, I called him out. "Dude, what the fuck is up?"

When I got up to move he shot his hand up, signaling for me to stop.

"What the hell is t-that?"

I blew the hair out of my face as I asked, "What?"

I looked around, and when my eyes landed on the cockroaches that were centimeters away from me, they widened as big as Evan's.

•••

"Wait- you're scared of bugs...?"

"NO, BUT I CAN'T FUCKING STAND THEM!" I exclaimed back, maybe a bit too loudly next to him. Even though I frequently when to the side of the school with Y/N, my heart rate would speed up if I felt so much as I tingle on my skin.

And now we're dealing with cockroaches here...

The grip on the boot in my hand and the armchair Evan sat in tightened as the group of insects traveled down the couch. "Aren't those motherfuckers nocturnal??" I said, gasping.

"Yea, um, I think so.." Evan, who was also holding up a Converse, glanced back and forth at me and at the damn bugs.

"Goddammit, I should've known bugs love this house too."

My phone on the coffee table vibrated and rang loudly, startling both of us, and probably the bugs.

Shit.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I threw the boot onto one of the cockroaches and jumped on it before answering.

"Hello?" I awkwardly shifted my weight on the shoe. Those things can survive without their heads.

There was some shuffling and other noises, and eventually, a confusing voice picked up. "Hello?"

"Y/N?" Silently, I signaled Evan to hand me my other boot.

"Why'd you call?" She asked.

I arched an eyebrow. "You were the one who called, dude." After a second, I heard her chuckle as Evan tossed me the shoe.

"Probably a butt-dial."

"Seriously?"

"Yes seriously!" She snorted. "Well anyway, how are you guys doing? Zoe says 'hi' too."

When I stepped off the squished boot, I cringed again at the sight of the struggling but still very much alive bugs. Evan was trying to squish some under is own shoe as well.

"Hey Y/N?" I sighed, feeling stupid for asking. "While you're out, can you get some bug spray?"

A/N: OKAY OKAY JUST LET ME EXPLAIN-
this whole "bug idea" for a chapter has been in my head ever since i've thought about the story in the first place. (idk why either man) aND I REALLY WANTED TO WRITE ONE AND IT'S SO WEIRD AND STUPID I'M SORRY

and also i've been researching things about cockroaches as i wrote this so now that information has been implanted permanently into my brain :)

here's a tip: if you have an idea for something that you want to include in something like story or chapter, d o  i t
if it makes you just a tiny bit happy, include it!

dang, fifty chapters already...

this chapter was so fun to write lol hope you enjoyed it (and i'm sorry if you hate bugs ;-;)