SIXTY-FOUR

Connor

TW: drug mention

The bell above the cafe door gave a small, familiar ring when I walked into the cafe. With the slightly somber ambiance, I was basically obligated to focus on nothing but the bare minimum of work I had to complete and coffee. Maybe a sugar-filled pastry if I needed to pull an all-nighter.

Sadly, a small cafe isn't much to melt away responsibility and stress.

I didn't expect a lot of people to be here since it wasn't too well known, but a few students occupied the dark wooden tables.

As I picked my usual table near the back in front of a window, I took out my phone as text appeared on the screen.

gianna: you guys still up for lunch?

Me: i'm already here

Gianna was accepted into the same university after community college. We were part of the same mandatory class for our majors, so we decided to group together for projects and stuff.

She wasn't the only one who got accepted, though. And she wasn't the only one in our group either.

"You get a haircut, Murphy?" With a cocky grin, Jared came up to my table and sat in front of me. His folded glasses hung from the collar of his shirt. I remember him telling us he resorted to wearing contacts.
It took him while since not even a year ago he cowered at the mention of them.

"A whopping two inches." I was tempted to do it myself, but the last time I did my hair looked like unbalanced scales.

"So where is it?" Jared set his stuff down next to his chair.

I reached into my black backpack, pulled out my laptop, and handed it to him. I don't know why I trusted him with this, but I was desperate. I was gonna fucking graduate, might as well make sure of it, get most of my shit done and turned in and all that.

The bell above the door rang again and in walked Gianna. Instead of her usual braided hairstyle, her locks were down in soft curls. "Hey guys," Uneasy, she walked over when she spotted us. "Jared."

"Gigi."

"Don't call me that," She said it like she fought the urge to hiss. Turning to me, she said a quick "hi" and dropped her bag next to her.

"Okay did you two fuck or something? What's going on?" I leaned back as Jared started to snicker. Now I was filled with more confusion but growing anticipation as I glanced back and forth between the two of them.

Next to me, Gianna rolled her eyes. "This thing," She pointed at Jared with an elbow on the table. "knows that I like this girl I sit next to."

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow. "And that's funny because...?"

"Ask him that!" Gianna raised both of her fingers to her temples, defeated. "Probably because I have little to no chances with her."

Jared rose up after tucking my laptop into his bag for later. "She's got a boyfriend too."

I crossed my arms, blowing a strand of hair out of my face. "Well shit. That sucks, Gianna."
I really did pity her. Her feelings were genuine and blatantly obvious. The girl was in love.

"That's not what's funny though," Jared spoke up. "You wanna know the reason we always come to this very cafe here when we have to do something?" He tapped his finger on the table before opening his mouth again.

"It's because she fucking works here," Gianna cut him off in a low tone. Pink was visible on her face. "And the brownies are good. And no, Connor, they don't have weed."

"Dammit," I sighed. I wasn't in a situation where I needed to get high, and I was trying to do it in moderation, but the idea didn't sound bad. The last time I did was at the back of a building during a party. It was just me.

"I should've just made a shit ton of weed brownies and passed them out to lecture halls for my birthday."

"Can you bake?" Jared asked with a raised eyebrow. His own sticker-covered laptop was out.

"I can get baked."

"Let's just get this done already." I jumped when Gianna plopped her binder and laptop next to me, immediately changing the conversation. We really did need to get this project done, mostly because it was due the next day and we didn't even start. "Our lunch break won't last."

Without being too obvious, I took a small glance at the counter at the entrance. A shorter girl with electric blue hair in a bun was the only one there counting change for another customer, so I assumed she was the one Gianna referred to.

I got back to work with the two of them. Our lunch break wasn't going to last, so we made sure to use our time management skills, one of the many skills that I lack. I don't know, maybe my time at university changed that? Either way, I'm still not getting a physical planner.

"They restocked the cookies." Jared locked eyes with the display of parties near the counter. There sat new trays of fresh baked cookies.

I looked down and smiled. It's Cookie Day all over again.

Jared got up and pulled out a couple dollars from his alien-patterned wallet. "I'm getting shit. You guys want anything?"

"I'm pulling an all-nighter," Gianna told him. He seemed to understand pretty quickly.

He turned to me. "Connor?"

"Look at you being nice," I said, sarcasm in my tone. "I'm good, Klienman."

Jared didn't leave just yet, though. "Actually, I'm not about to be so nice." He wore his signature arrogant smirk like it was worth a million dollars.

My eyes widened. Holy shit...

Lowering his voice, Jared leaned over and handed Gianna the money.

She cocked an eyebrow. "What?"

"Courtney's still on her shift."

I turned to look for the blue haired girl. Sure enough, she stood behind the counter on her phone. "You never talk to her, Gi. There's a possibility you might become acquaintances."

"Are you Alana?" I asked him.

"No but he's an asshat," Gianna's face was redder than ever when she brushed some of her hair out of the way. Still, she took the money and went off when her blush started to fade away.

As we waited, we returned to working. "The group chat's been pretty dead recently." Jared said, focused on his laptop.

"Yea, I noticed," I eyed him. He knows that I know. Stating the obvious means something. "I'm not surprised. We're busy with our own shit."

"Have you been on it recently, though?"

I bit my lip. Last night wasn't all that great for me. I wasn't in a good state. Nearly drove myself insane with studying and other things. I don't know why I would even have the time to glance at my phone if I did.

Besides, I was pretty inactive on that thing anyway.

"What's up?" I asked, sitting up more.

Now a real but small smile took over his face. "Connor, Y/N's coming home."