SIXTY-SIX

Connor

Every second since Y/N rushed over to me at the airport, it felt like the world just got a tiny bit brighter despite how dark it got during the night.

I started paying attention to the little things again and appreciating them more and more. Like they never left no matter how much she changed.

Also, I didn't think anyone would run that much for me. I guess that's what you get from someone who also stated they'd walk across legos for me.

She's intense.

That's why I was so surprised that my girlfriend stood outside of the concession building with a darkening expression.

Raising an eyebrow as I walked out of the restroom, I went over to where Y/N stood, seemingly frozen. "Y/N..?" I slowly asked. I didn't place my hand on her shoulder as to not scare her and make her drop the popcorn.

"Oh my-" Y/N jumped, tightening her grasp on her items. I took the popcorn out of her shaking hands. Why were they shaking?

"You-you're here," Her fingers pointed from the bathroom to where I stood, yet her eyes traveled from here to where my car was parked.

"Were you hurt? What the hell happened?" My free hand gripped her shoulder. A regular instinct, but I tried not to be harsh. Y/N looked like she was about to collapse, though. "Here, come on."

Concerned with possible reasons filling my mind, I took her hand and led us back to our trunk. We passed by another couple in the car parked right next to us who were having a little too much fun during their makeout.

I sat my girlfriend down. Goddammit, now I was starting to shake.

"You just went to the restroom?" She asked me, stumbling over a few words out of shock.

"Yea, drank too much Cherry Coke and shit," I nervously laughed through my reply. If her glistening eyes started to fill with tears I'd fall apart.

A nervous chuckle escaped her, but the strain and anxiousness in her tone were more audible. I inched my hand closer to the side of her face, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as if that would help in any way.

"What the hell happened?" I asked again.

Another nervous laugh, followed by a sigh. "I- After I walked out of the building, I didn't realize you went to the restroom, so I guess I saw the people in the car next to us-" Y/N lowered her voice a little towards the end, "thinking it was you and someone else."

Huh, that guy did have a similar haircut and jacket as mine...

"It sounds so dumb when I say it out loud," She shook her head. "I'm sorry, I really should've thought more."

"You think I'd actually do that to you?" I didn't mean for my voice to sound so accusing.

"No, Connor, I would never think so! That's why I froze up when I saw them right next to your car!"

Huffing, I plopped down next to her. "They just had to fucking park right there, didn't they?"

"Connor-"

"You're not doubtful of us, are you?"

Again, she froze at my sudden angry tone. I didn't feel angry, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if she thought that I was. "Why would I be?" Her defensive tone mellowed and became soft. "It's no one's fault, alright? I'm still recovering from the flight back here, so my mind's not in the right place."